Talk

Advanced search

REALLY old notebook computer- any uses for it?

(11 Posts)
Tissy Thu 24-Feb-05 09:13:45

I'm clearing out my study and have come across my first computer (aah!). It was bought in 1990 (I think)and was "state of the art" at the time. It's a notebook (laptop?), has a black and white lcd screen and runs Windows 3.1 . It still works, and has its carry case and charger, but I can't think of a use for it...can it be used by anyone, or should I just chuck it? I've looked on Ebay, but so far can't find anyone buying/ selling them. I'm loath to chuck out something that still works, but it's cluttering up my house!!

Any ideas?

iota Thu 24-Feb-05 09:14:29

use it as a door-stop

MrsFROSTgetful Thu 24-Feb-05 09:39:04

If it works.....and you want it to go to a good use.....my son is Autistic and has ADHD,......you can read my threads on the Special needs threads...i am genuine!!!!

in May he does his SATS (exams) and your laptop would be great for that!

I'd pay postage costs!!!

I live in wiltshire

MrsFROSTgetful Thu 24-Feb-05 09:40:02

meant to add also that due to his autism he loves anything technical...and has a love of 'Retro' stuff!!!

Tissy Thu 24-Feb-05 09:50:01

Crumbs! You're welcome to it , if you want it! I'm at work just now, but I'll get it out when I get home, charge it up, check it works OK, and work out a postage price- with the charger it's fairly heavy, so don't commit yourself, until we know how much it'll be!

MrsFROSTgetful Thu 24-Feb-05 11:21:23

that's great!

i know these things are heavy....and i sell/buy alot on ebay so won't be too shocked at the postage!!!

(i've just bought something off Ebay-from the USA and it only cost £5...but the shipping is £20!!!! as it's a heavy item!)

Ther'es no major hurry- so the parcel rate will be fine...however it may be too heavy...so 1st class will be great too!!!

Enough of my waffle!!!!

A HUGE THANKYOU!

Gwenick Thu 24-Feb-05 11:27:35

I know it's now found a good home, but just thought I'd say (for anyone else with such 'ancient' techie stuff) that people will buy it on ebay. My dad recently sold his old BBC B computer - didn't get much for it, but got several bidders

MrsFROSTgetful Thu 24-Feb-05 11:31:43

know what you mean!!!

forget the new Playstation 2....i've just bought 'another' of the very first design....for my son...who HATES the newer versions! I got it including extras & postage for £20.....and the extras are worth that alone!

Tissy Thu 24-Feb-05 19:46:19

MrsF, I'vejust switched it on, and when it boots up, it comes up with a message that says "hard disk failure", then "no boot device available". If you know anyone who can sort that out, then you're still welcome to it. . The last time I got it out, admittedly a couple of years ago, i was able to play a couple of old games on it.

So sorry if I've got your hopes up unnecessarily.

Davros Thu 24-Feb-05 20:00:58

MrsF has first dibs obviously. But for anyone else with stuff like this they don't need/want there are lots of charities that will take old computers, mobile phones etc and refurbish them and use them locally or send them, for instance, to schools in Africa. If anyone is intersted I can dig out some info. Used printer cartridges too.

MrsFROSTgetful Thu 24-Feb-05 21:20:23

don't worry!!!

i'd better not have it.... we had 3 p.c's we ammassed recently ....all second hand....all needing 'not alot doing to them'.....and all have been recycled elsewhere as we gave up!!

the problem with my son is that due to his Autism....he has to have everything working 100%...or we get no peace!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now