Talk

Advanced search

hair straighteners... which are the best? and where can i buy them?

(34 Posts)
mankymummy Fri 12-Sep-08 09:05:39

my hair is quite wavy, course and thick (nice!)... any recommendations?

x

MadreInglese Fri 12-Sep-08 09:07:02

GHD*

*GHD*

*GHD*

*GHD*

*GHD*

*GHD

grin

SquiffyHock Fri 12-Sep-08 09:08:58

GHD!!!! They are expensive but you won't regret it. Look online for the best deals. I have the regular size but I think they do a pair for very long, thick hair - larger paddles I think.

mankymummy Fri 12-Sep-08 09:09:40

really? my hairdresser told me GHDs were old hat !!!

nailpolish Fri 12-Sep-08 09:15:11

yyour hairdresser is a numpty
ghds are the best by far

penona Fri 12-Sep-08 09:20:10

GHD. Every time. I don't know anyone who has regretted buying them.

What did your hairdresser recommend instead?

AbbaFan Fri 12-Sep-08 09:25:41

GHD's are the best.

phee96 Fri 12-Sep-08 11:03:55

Another vote for GHD here. Nothing else gets my hair as straight. I was bought a pair of ceramic cordless ones as a pressie and they're hiding in a cupboard somewhere as they just aren't as good

mankymummy Fri 12-Sep-08 11:07:06

i cant remember which brand she said but sounds like ghd's are the way to go.

are there different models and any idea the best place to get them / how much im likely to pay?!

thanks.

ginnny Fri 12-Sep-08 11:12:55

I've got Remington Wet to Straight (can't afford ghd's sad
They are fab because you can use them on wet hair and my hair stays straight for ages with them.
(I'm another one with naturally thick wavy hair yuk)

mankymummy Fri 12-Sep-08 11:16:34

you can use them from wet?!

does it take ages though?

Rubyrubyruby Fri 12-Sep-08 11:17:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ginnny Fri 12-Sep-08 11:21:02

No. You towel dry it a bit first and it dries it as it straightens. Makes a great hissy noise!!
The blurb on the box says its better than normal straighteners because the steam conditions your hair.

PuppyMonkey Fri 12-Sep-08 11:22:39

Makes a hissy noise cos it's singeing (sp?) your hair, probably! grin

purplemunkey Fri 12-Sep-08 11:25:41

I vote GHD's too.

Make sure you use a heat protector on your hair before straightening though otherwise it's singe city

Volkl Fri 12-Sep-08 11:51:57

GHD's.. the cheapest place i found them is on ebay, not sure if i can say the name of the seller on here, but she has thousands of positive feedback and you'll get a great price and great service.

fairy15 Fri 12-Sep-08 11:55:22

your hair sounds like mine i use ghds & have been for about 6 years & could'nt live without them. they are by far the best out there. i have the standard size & find them good as i use them to do curls in my hair also. you could always check out ebay you may get a bargain other hairdressers do them also as well as many shops on line.

1wish Fri 12-Sep-08 12:03:45

mankymummy I'm afraid I have to disagree with the others regarding GHD's. I was also told they were fantastic, the best ones you could buy etc and that they left your hair straight for days. (I have quite thick, curly hair)

Well £120+ later I can tell you they were a waste of money and are certainly no better than my £30 remmington ones sad

Just look for any that heat up over 230 degrees because thats basically all GHD's do.

And if you still desperately want a pair of GHDs you can have mine cause they are crap grin

MadreInglese Fri 12-Sep-08 12:29:32

shock 1wish

Are you ok?

Would you like me to call a doctor?

You look a bit pale....

wink

1wish Fri 12-Sep-08 12:32:36

I am looking abit pale today madreInglese, how did you know? hmm spooky!!

ginnny Fri 12-Sep-08 12:33:41

All straighteners singe your hair Puppy Monkey grin
Just make sure to use a protection spray first.

milkybarsrus Fri 12-Sep-08 14:16:11

manky mummy, how much for your crap ghd's then?

DanJARMouse Fri 12-Sep-08 14:26:22

GHD's deffo.

Have tried other brands, and NOTHING can tame my thick, wavey, course, revolting mop!

With GHD's they become silky soft locks and I couldnt be without them!

lauraloola Fri 12-Sep-08 16:47:31

GHD's. They arent cheap but worth every penny. I broke mine and am now using some crappy £50 ones that arent as good. Asking for some news for Christmas!!

janmoomoo Fri 12-Sep-08 22:02:06

I have GHDs, they are fab. Iused my sisters babyliss ones and they were lukewarm and totaly rubbish. Get GHDs. Its a no brainer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now