Talk

Advanced search

Gun logos on boys clothes - what are your views?

(28 Posts)
pabla Wed 23-Feb-05 11:05:57

I just got the new Boden kids catalogue the other day and was a bit perturbed to see that several of the boys t-shirts, etc had gun logos on them. I know we had a thread recently about boys playing with guns and using sticks, etc anyway if you don't give them an actual gun. BUT would any of you actually buy one of these t-shirts?

lockets Wed 23-Feb-05 11:08:10

Message withdrawn

Chandra Wed 23-Feb-05 11:08:10

I think there's another thread about this subject, actually, as far as I know we ended up sending a letter to some stores about their inadequate range, if you do a search you may find it. HTH

beachyhead Wed 23-Feb-05 11:10:31

I've got cowboys waving guns on my ds curtains - never really thought about it eeekkkkkkk......

mrsflowerpot Wed 23-Feb-05 11:11:55

no, hate them, won't buy them. same goes for skull and cross bones etc. I'm not utterly anti-toy gun, ds doesn't have any but will use sticks, lego, toast (!) etc as a substitute. But I really hate clothes like this, there is no need and it just reinforces the whole boys = aggression attitude.

KateandtheGirls Wed 23-Feb-05 11:16:00

I can't believe they actually make clothes like that.

Beachyhead, you've never thought about it? I find that hard to believe.

FairyMum Wed 23-Feb-05 11:18:19

I don't like it. For some reason I think cowboys with guns are okey though. Cowboys, but not army-type stuff. I don't like army-trousers for kids (nor adult either).

lockets Wed 23-Feb-05 11:21:01

Message withdrawn

beachyhead Wed 23-Feb-05 11:30:17

I never really thought about the fact that the cowboys have guns......just seemed natural that a cowboy would have a gun..... must admit, we do have skull and crossbones on lots of things (socks, pjs, woolly hat) - I don't really equate pirate paraphanalia with street gangsters with oozies.......

I probably wouldn't choose to have a gun on a T shirt or sweatshirt, but I don't buy the link between a logo on a shirt and aggression in a child.......We don't have plastic guns in the house, but have tons of swords, cannons etc....

We have lots of superheroes as well [grins]

mrsflowerpot Wed 23-Feb-05 11:34:56

I don't think that a picture of a gun on a T-shirt makes a child more aggressive, but I do hate the lazy assumptions and stereotyping that go behind that, you know, all little boys are violent, naughty monsters (and equally, all little girls are delicate little fairies).

Thinking about cowboys, though, I've hardly ever given it a thought that they have guns, isn't it strange? I hate all the army/combat stuff, but cowboys seem perfectly acceptable.

beachyhead Wed 23-Feb-05 11:35:59

I think the cowboys on brat camp wish they had guns, though!!!!

LIZS Wed 23-Feb-05 11:41:43

No wouldn't buy them in the same way as not keen on some of the more provocative little girls' clothes

pabla Wed 23-Feb-05 11:55:47

I don't think I would mind cowboys particularly, though I would prefer my kids to understand the real history of what went on, rather than the stereotypes in old movies wherew the indians were the baddies and the cowboys the goodies, but that's another topic.

However, this t-shirt just has a ruddy big handgun. I suppose it's meant to be retro/ironic and the other designs on that page have an indian on horseback and a camper van. There is also a towel with what are called water pistols but look like regular guns to me.

I agree about the sexual stereotyping - the girls clothes all have flowers, kittens, etc.

princesspeahead Wed 23-Feb-05 12:02:17

Glad you noticed that pabla, I couldn't believe it when I saw the picture in the boden catalogue! It is a tshirt with a picture of a handgun on the front. Available from baby sizes to 12-14 or whatever. I thought it was HORRIBLE - WHY would you want a picture of a handgun on your little boy? I think it is different if it is a picture of a cowboy with a gun and a lasso (to me that is a cowboy tshirt, not a gun tshirt), but this is a gun tshirt, plain and simple.

Yuck

And of course my 4 year old REALLY wants it!

princesspeahead Wed 23-Feb-05 12:02:48

crossposted pabla, sorry!

Gobbledigook Wed 23-Feb-05 12:06:52

Er, no probably not.

Even though I know seeing guns is unavoidable, I'm avoiding them seeing images of guns or having any toy guns for as long as I can get away with and I certainly wouldn't buy clothing with guns on.

My boys are almost 4, 2 and 5 months.

morningpaper Wed 23-Feb-05 12:10:25

V. shocked by Boden!

Gobbledigook Wed 23-Feb-05 12:10:26

Just looked on the website but I can't see it.

snafu Wed 23-Feb-05 12:16:07

I think someone needs to have a word with jolly old Johnny Boden.

Ridiculous, lazy stereotyping of boys as aggressive little 'gangstas' - hate it. I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy that for their child. Funnily enough, though, I agree that cowboys are okay

irishbird Wed 23-Feb-05 12:16:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beachyhead Wed 23-Feb-05 12:20:15

Its under the retro T shirts and is classified as a sheriffs gun - funnily enough the other one not shown is a Navaho indian with a docking big machete in his hand.........

Where does he do his mummy market research, eh!!!!

katierocket Wed 23-Feb-05 12:22:21

unbelievably it's sold out in all the sizes from 6-24 months

late Wed 23-Feb-05 12:23:12

would NOT buy them, in fact we were shopping in a childrens clothes shop with nephew recently and liked the look of a graffiti type boys shirt (style was graffiti all over it ie words all over in "handwriting") and nearly bought it until nephew spotted the word 'hate' on it and said he would not wear it so lucky he spotted it before we had bought it. plus hat off to our 6 year old nephew!

Gobbledigook Wed 23-Feb-05 12:23:33

No way? Someone would put that on a 6 month old baby??? Or any child for that matter?

Absolutely hideous.

katierocket Wed 23-Feb-05 12:24:07

very odd thing to put a 6 month old in IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now