Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are bumbos good for big babies?

(28 Posts)
lucysnowe Wed 10-Sep-08 15:34:50

Hey all

DD is a biggun, five months and around 9 kg or so at the mo. Will a bumbo work for her? Will she get stuck? shock

Thanks!

Flossish Wed 10-Sep-08 15:36:04

my 3 yr old could get in DD's. As long as you get the bumbo bumbo they are quite flexible iyswim. Kg doesn't mean much to me, is that about 20lbs? If my 36lb toddler can get in and out I'm sure you'll be fine!

Marne Wed 10-Sep-08 15:37:40

Yep my 3 year old used to sit in dd2's bumbo.

Seona1973 Wed 10-Sep-08 15:38:53

my ds hated the bumbo and arched his back to get out - do you know anyone with one that you could try out before you buy one as they are expensive?

ShowOfHands Wed 10-Sep-08 15:39:50

I have to say my dd got wedged in hers. She used to lean forwards until she tipped it over and wriggle across the floor with it stuck on her not inconsiderately proportioned legs.

hana Wed 10-Sep-08 15:40:56

age doesn't matter, it's the girth of their thighs and bum!

lucysnowe Wed 10-Sep-08 15:41:10

Thanks! Will def try to try one out. Whats a bumbo bumbo??

ChairmumMiaow Wed 10-Sep-08 15:43:19

DS never fit in the one we borrowed. By the time his head and neck were strong enough we had to pull the sides to fit his chubby little thighs in!

FEP Wed 10-Sep-08 16:40:10

Hi,

I borrowed one from a friend and only used it a handful of times as my ds legs at 5 months were just too chunky to fit.

MissKubelik Wed 10-Sep-08 16:47:21

I would say no - we got one and DD only used it a few times. She was about the same weight as your DD at that age. It was too tight on her chunky little legs and she was uncomfortable. She was much happier sitting on the floor propped up with a cushion.

lucysnowe Wed 10-Sep-08 17:03:55

Aha I come back and find differing opinions! DD's thighs are on the chunky side, she takes after her mother. smile Am going to a NNS at some point - will see if they have any to try out.

JuneBugJen Wed 10-Sep-08 17:05:24

Borrow one only or get 2nd hand!! My DS liked it for about 4 weeks only when about 4 months. Before that and after he hated it. As did DD. So not great value for money.

nicolamumof3 Wed 10-Sep-08 18:27:39

all depends on the baby, some love them some hate them. but my son when he was 2.5yrs climbed in ours when i had it out for ds3 so they are v.'flexible'! We had a bebepod i liked the colours and the look of it a bit more.

PeppermintPatty Wed 10-Sep-08 18:48:14

I think it matters how long they are as well.

My sister's DD is tall and she could push her feet down on the ground, arch her back and topple out backwards - landing on her head shock

accessorizequeen Thu 11-Sep-08 12:11:39

They usually have one on display in boots and mothercare, try putting her in that and see what you think. DS2 v.chunky and they managed to prise him into it at nursery, but I didn't bother at home (he was also in cloth nappies).

lucysnowe Thu 11-Sep-08 13:40:17

There was one in my baby group today! DD did fit - just - a little tight - and liked it! Depends on whether she will get chunkier tho!

fairibell Thu 11-Sep-08 13:59:49

very good resale price on ebay!! so if you did get one either new or 2nd hand you could get a good price for it afterwards!

crokky Thu 11-Sep-08 14:01:42

I had one for DS, which he used a lot. Now DD is in it. DS is 2.6 and can still easily sit in it. It is the thinness/fatness of the thighs that is critical!

I'd get one and then sell it on eBay if you don't get on with it.

MuffinMclay Thu 11-Sep-08 14:05:01

My 6 yo niece squashes into mine!

I'd see if you can try your dd with someone else's before buying one. Apart from the size, she might not like it.

Ds1 loved going in it, but ds2 hates it (screams and arches his back if put into it).

FruitynNutty Thu 11-Sep-08 14:06:49

My Ds loved his but he was wedged in it. I had to prise it off him but he was snug in it. He looked a bit like a sumo wrestler in it grin

MrsTittleMouse Thu 11-Sep-08 14:09:13

I had a little chunky one too (with big thighs) and the Bumbo worked well for us. I would recommend borrowing one if you can though, as they aren't in them for very long (definitely less than the time scale written on the box) and they're not cheap for a bit of foamy plastic.

MrsJamin Thu 11-Sep-08 14:11:22

Am I the only one who thinks they're a bit weird and forces a child to sit when they're not developmentally ready? I can't see the point of it myself, the babies I have known to use one have been quite late sitters - coincidence?

MrsTittleMouse Thu 11-Sep-08 14:14:52

I didn't put DD in one until she was pretty much sitting anyway. The biggest advantage for me was that I could put her in it when I was in the shower/washing up in the kitchen or otherwise occupied and I knew that unlike sitting on the floor she couldn't fall over and roll away into a dangerous situation.

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 11-Sep-08 14:20:42

Tried DS in one when he was around 4 or 5 months - he was not keen. He had v chunky thighs and cloth nappy bum so think he felt rather wedged.

TBH I didn't see the need for it as he pretty much went from his bouncy chair (had to be retired from active service due to over-enthusiastic bouncing) to his high chair. He could sit fairly well by 6 months.

bumbling Thu 11-Sep-08 18:41:40

I second borrowing one. I got one from a friend and DS couldn't give a monkey apart form about one week's use. Very expensive unless you're sure it'll work for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now