Talk

Advanced search

Train stuff - Does it have to be BRIO?

(18 Posts)
Thefearlessfreak Wed 10-Sep-08 14:37:26

Really want to get ds a good train set (non electric)

Brio seems SO expensive it makes me think there is something really special about it?

But ELC stuff looks nice & is cheaper.... If I want to keep adding to it what am I best starting off with? And does Brio have the monopoly on Thomas trains or something?

Thanks for answering this! smile

AmIWhatAndWhy Wed 10-Sep-08 14:38:30

Tesco, elc and Ikea do wooden tracks that are compatible with brio / Thomas etc.

Thefearlessfreak Wed 10-Sep-08 14:39:05

Oh...so I can just mix & match stuff?

marymoocow Wed 10-Sep-08 14:39:21

Tesco etc. do some really cheap stuff which has stood the test of time alongside my brio stuff. Not sure about the thomas stuff though.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Wed 10-Sep-08 14:39:51

i'm getting DS the tescos stuff & the trains from woolies, his dad's getting him the brio stuff.

he has brio but tbh I think the other stuff is just the same.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Wed 10-Sep-08 14:41:15

Ds loves his wooden train set. We have bought all different sets, cheap ones from our local toy shop, elc, charity shop, but never brio! Most of the wooden train stuff is compatable now anyway - it all fits together. Not sure on the thomas thing, ds doesn't have thomas, he has some marks and spencer battery trains which I picked up on ebay for 2 or 3 pound, these run by one battery and he has hours of fun!

LapinOnTheEventHorizon Wed 10-Sep-08 14:44:12

Ikea stuff has plastic ends that I find quite hard to click into the other stuff (and DS just doesn't bother with it). Tesco do a 50 piece set for about £7 or something crazy which is great, includes a bridge and lots of figures and trees etc. We have ELC and Brio too (to compare - I bought a pack of 2 points from Brio this weekend. It was £19)

Thefearlessfreak Wed 10-Sep-08 14:47:39

Oh thanks everyone...it's great to get advice. I'm excited about getting him it (mainly because I am fantasising that he'll spend HOURS on end playing with it & not pseaking to me at all wink) but I have nearly been tempted to bid quite a lot of money on Ebay already!

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 14:48:55

we have loads bought from all over the place, and very occasionally buy Thomas stuff when it's in the sale.

It all fits together so it's only worth buying the actual Thomas engines, iyswim, the track is all much the same wherever you buy it.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Wed 10-Sep-08 14:49:09

Just be prepared to help him make 'monster size' tracks going from the living room to the kitchen, with bridges in all the right places!

RTKangaMummy Wed 10-Sep-08 14:50:18

we have a tesco wooden one and a duplo plastic one

that have last for years

from DS haveing them 10 years ago and then mindees playing with them

Thefearlessfreak Wed 10-Sep-08 14:53:25

Have just looked up the Tesco one & it looks like a good start for £10!

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 10-Sep-08 14:55:36

the stuff we have comes from Brio, tesco, elc woolies the only one that I can't seem to make fit is the ikea one.

look on ebay as well there seems to be lots of stuff on there.

nicolamumof3 Wed 10-Sep-08 17:29:36

The tesco one is great, i don't personally like brio, we have wooden thomas (which isn't made by brio think its learning curve?) but for track/bridges/tunnels i 've found a co. called big jigs which is soooo cheap.

Thefearlessfreak Wed 10-Sep-08 19:37:48

Oh, Nicola are you still about? Just looked at bigjigs but it's "trade only" ??

nicolamumof3 Wed 10-Sep-08 19:58:28

yes it is but you can get it in some shops, so you will have to find a stockist. there is one near me im in Tonbridge Kent. it also sells second hand brio and wooden thomas fab shop. Anyway, big jigs i got a tunnel for less than £5!

LazyLinePainterJane Wed 10-Sep-08 20:04:49

Most of ours has been Tesco track and bits (they are quite well priced for bridges, stations, etc...or that wooden world stuff which you can find in TKMaxx. We have bought DS some Thomas trains to go on them (wooden railway, not take along, they don't fit) as he loves them but I would never buy them full price! I hunt them out at car boots.

Don't think much to the IKEA track TBH, and i LOVE IKEA. It looks and feels cheap. Check out ebay and friday ad for people selling whole second hand sets.

chipmunkswhereareyou Wed 10-Sep-08 20:29:03

Tesco track fab - really good quality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now