Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else thing the "what to wear" guidlines with grobags are are a little on the cold side?

(11 Posts)
willthisdo Mon 08-Sep-08 19:47:19

DD2 (5months) wakes up ALOT overnight (whole different post) and someone suggested she may be cold. So have been thinking about this recently.

It sometimes drops to 16 degrees in our room overnight at the moment so she's been in a 2.5 tog with vest and babygrow. (As per grobag instructions)

As an experiment last night I put one of DD1s 1.0 tog grobags over the top and she only woke up once. (fluke?) although I was having periods of insomnia worrying about her overheating grin

I suppose DH and I have each others body heat, a 10 tod duvet (and fleecy PJs in my case) in the same room.

Anyone else this they're a bit on the cold side?

beeny Mon 08-Sep-08 19:50:27

I agree with you i am putting on a vest a pyjamas a top and 2.5 tog bag and sometimes heater on very low.

WilfSell Mon 08-Sep-08 19:54:30

i ignored those instructions after the first few cold nights grin but obv you do so at your own risk!

We put a blanket over the top or vest plus warm bodysuit (fleecy type)

ChirpyGirl Mon 08-Sep-08 19:56:50

DD's are very warm normally so the instructions mean they overheat and wake up bathed in sweat...but if it is really cold I use a longsleeved babygro and pj bottoms or a sleepsuit underneath to bulk up ratehr than putting anything over the top of the grobag.

spicemonster Mon 08-Sep-08 19:59:17

My DS was always cold in them when he was little. So now he's never in one under 3 tog and wears a long sleeved babygro always unless it's scorchio (obviously no risk of that this summer!)

Seona1973 Mon 08-Sep-08 20:00:19

it does say this on the website:

When the weather is very cold, simply add more clothing (this could include a sleepsuit, socks and even a cardigan). When the weather is warmer, or perhaps if your child is unwell, you can remove layers of clothing while still keeping your baby at the right temperature.

LostGirl Mon 08-Sep-08 20:32:55

DD used to wear fleecy type sleepsuit or blanket over the top as well.

Sorry to hijack thread but does anyone know if grobags 'lose' their tog value over time/washes/number of uses etc?

Dozymare Mon 08-Sep-08 20:39:29

I agree with OP. Our nursery varied between 16-20 and I always put DC's in short sleeved vest and all in one PJ/sleepsuit when 16-18 and then just sleepsuit when 18o-20 plus....tog was 2.5

snooks Mon 08-Sep-08 20:43:46

dd3 is currently in a long-sleeved vest with a long-sleeved babygro over the top, then a 2.5 tog grobag. I always feel that their arms aren't very cosy out of the bag - I mean, when it's cold I don't sleep with my arms outside the duvet.... in the past I have put a cardigan on OVER the grobag so their arms are warmer without too many layers being built up IYSWIM.

babyjjbaby Tue 09-Sep-08 12:04:25

i have just bought a grobag egg thermometre and find that it is cold aswell like it said it was 17c in caravn in day and it felt cold so i put a xardy oon him aswell if think if u r cold they must be cold aswell tbh as for the grobags i put a vest sleepsuit and grobag on at the moment and maybe a blanket in the winter ip ut a cardy on aswell but then we do feel thge cold alot in our family

Puddlet Wed 10-Sep-08 13:20:37

I've bought a couple of velour sleepsuits from John Lewis - they are the cosiest things ever and so sweet with the teddy faces...www.johnlewis.com/7428/Product.aspx
It makes me very happy when I go into her room in the morning and she looks so cosy in her sleepsuit and grobag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now