Talk

Advanced search

breadmaking machine recommendations?

(19 Posts)
fridayschild Sat 06-Sep-08 20:26:31

DH would like one and I am a bit short of inspiration for his birthday. Can anyone recommend one?

Habbibu Sat 06-Sep-08 20:30:56

Which says:
Morphy Richards
48245 Compact £44.99
76% Best buy

Morphy Richards
48268 Stainless Steel Fastbake £60.00
76% Best buy

Morphy Richards
48271 Accents Stainless Steel £80.00
75% Best buy

Habbibu Sat 06-Sep-08 20:31:40

The middle one looks best, tbh.

Lilymaid Sat 06-Sep-08 20:34:31

Panasonic is the one to buy. Probably the most expensive but always comes out best in the comparison tests. Buy the one with the fruit nut dispenser if you can, but if you don't think you need it, the basic model will do. I've had one for seven years and have been very pleased with the bread it produces.

Lilymaid Sat 06-Sep-08 20:35:17

(Apart, presumably from the Which test mentioned below!)

Habbibu Sat 06-Sep-08 20:36:58

Lily, that was no. 4 in the which list with 71% score!

blithedance Sat 06-Sep-08 20:38:01

The Panasonic ones always come reoommended, but I've had a Kenwood that was under £100, in daily use for about 4 years now. If it packed up I'd get a Panasonic.

Portofino Sat 06-Sep-08 20:39:08

I tried to make bread today and failed miserably. I was super other than that and wondered about getting a bread maker. Do you really use yours all the time, or is it one of those things that goes in the cupboard after a month (like my ice cream maker/George Foreman grill)?

blithedance Sat 06-Sep-08 20:47:38

I have tried to hand bake bread on a couple of occasions and it's never worked. I just read the Which review for my Kenwood (equivalent model) and it was pretty rubbish, so maybe I've had a charmed life because mine makes great white and wholemeal bread.

Seriously, 95% of the bread we eat is from the bread machine. I don't know which bread to buy in the supermarket any more, it all tastes rubbish unless I get fresh bread from our local bakers. It takes under 5 minutes to set it up just before bed, put on the timer to finish when you wake up.

ataraxis Sat 06-Sep-08 20:53:59

I agree with Lily - we have had a Panasonic for around 4 years, used nearly every day and is absolutely fantastic.

Yurtgirl Sat 06-Sep-08 20:58:33

We have got a panasonic as well - highly reccomended and reliable A friend has a cheaper one that is highly unreliable so personally think its worth the extra £

saltcod Sat 06-Sep-08 21:15:52

friend of mine has the panasonic (as do I!) but also tried the Morphy Richards one coz she read the Which reviews. she said the MR one was pants in comparison - bread turns out sweet & doughy . Panasonic bread is fab...!!

TheDuchessOfNork Sat 06-Sep-08 21:39:08

Panasonic here too. Ours doesn't have the nut dispenser which makes it about £10 cheaper. It is excellent, we bought it in January and use it almost everyday.

It has already paid for itself - I worked out once that it cost less than 40p to make an organic loaf. The bread is great, lasts for at least a couple of days and smells divine when baking! It does make a tall loaf though, which may not suit everyone.

fridayschild Mon 08-Sep-08 08:49:13

thanks! I really do think it will go in the cupboard after a month, but worth a go.

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 08-Sep-08 08:55:47

Panasonic here we use it at least once a day and twice when we are busy, 4 years on we have had to replace the bowl but it is great and so much cheaper than buying bread

Jennster Mon 08-Sep-08 08:58:34

Panasonic here, and fil was the one that recommended it. He doesn't cook, but always researches intensively when he makes a big purchase and it was the one he chose.

rubyloopy Mon 08-Sep-08 12:45:53

Message withdrawn

FAQ Mon 08-Sep-08 12:47:22

Panasonic - don't use it as much as I should these days, but it's very reliable, know a few people who've bought cheaper models and ended up buying the Panasonic in the end.

ClairePO Mon 08-Sep-08 12:48:32

I have the panasonic one linked to too and it's great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now