Talk

Advanced search

New (second hand) car, what should I buy?

(17 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sat 06-Sep-08 20:23:24

We have about £4000 to spend.

We want it to be a CRV type car (well, dh does, I want a transporter type vehicle).

It has to be big enough to fit our kayak & paddle on, other equipment in it, plus DH, me DD and a potential one other. We want to use it for trips away at the weekend, and trips from Devon to Durham, as well as for the normal day to day stuff, so needs some 'poke' so to speak, but no bigger than a 2L engine for insurance/tax etc.

We want it to be relatively economical to drive, ok on insurance and not too high in tax.

Tall order? Some suggestions on what to go for would be welcome.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 08:43:46

I have seen a freelander I quite like.

Are these going to be taxed highyl? Are they uneconomical to run? Are they really bad on the environment?

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 08:49:37

shock the first one I looked at was going to £450 in 2010!!! Funny that if it was earlier year it would be cheaper hmm.

There is another one I like, which is actually nicer, which will be £200, same bracket that we are paying now.

giddykipper Sun 07-Sep-08 08:53:16

I've recently got rid of a Freelander - was a really nice car. I had a diesel - cost about £65 to fill the tank, used to get about 450 miles out of it. That was when fuel was about £1 a litre. Tax is expensive, about £160 a year I think. I did like it but I drove it into the ground with commuting 100 miles per day.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 09:04:18

giddy that seems roughly what we spend on our own car now, same tax bracket £185, going to rise to £200, but we would be paying that on this car so that is ok, it is not one that is going to hike to £450! It will cost a bit more on fuel, but we are planning on driving a bit less on local journeys, ie not to work and back (we can walk) so that should even out.

I am glad to have a good report for it.

This is the one I have seen....opinion?
the W reg Freelander

giddykipper Sun 07-Sep-08 09:30:55

Miles don't seem bad for the age, Station Wagon is good because it's a bit bigger.

My only slightly negative comment would be that it's petrol and I think the TD4 diesel's have a particularly good reputation. Don't know what impact that would have on price.

Disclaimer - giddykipper knows bugger all about cars.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 11:30:38

giddy you know enough seeing as you had one already!

Thank you. Have not shown DH yet, he wants a newer car I think, he will be lucky!

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 12:43:34

or a Mitsubishi Shogun? it is old, but it looks good, and has extra seats which would be great - we have family come to visit a lot, and would save taking two cars everywhere (it is the second one, not the first on the page).

I have checked insurance - affordable, and tax - same as now, wont go up to £450.

And Mitsubishi is a good make isn't it? Should be made of strong stuff?!!

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 07-Sep-08 12:47:17

Pav - shall I get one from Ikea for you? wink

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 12:51:36

Pussin - you mean they sell cars?!! shock, right I am ordering one right now!!!

How are you doing?

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 12:52:13

jimmy I meant to write there!

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 07-Sep-08 12:55:39

Good thanks - just knackered from fasting Ramadan...was hoping I would have lost weight at the end of week one but..ahem...<shuffles feet> I think all the choc I'm scoffing in the evening as a 'reward' has not helped....blush

Oooh...really fancy a pasty now....grin

Good luck with the car! I bank with Lloyds and they sell second hand cars - ex fleet stuff - its a really good website - take a look

www.carselect.lloydstsb.com/home.aspx

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 12:58:16

jimmy I shall take a look!

How long is Ramadan?

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 07-Sep-08 13:02:07

Until the end of Sept and poss the first day of Oct...depends on the new moon...have gone overboard with the junk for the evenings and am hanging my head in shame....grin

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 13:02:36

what are the hours? Is is sunrise to sunset?

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 07-Sep-08 13:05:22

Yes so atm we stop eating at around 5am and eat again at around 7.50pm..the morning cut off is getting later and the evening is getting earlier as we go through the month as sunrise is later and sunset is earlier you see so by the end of Ramadan I can eat at 7pm (ish) in the evening....

Its going ok, am just shock at my junk consumption in the evening...grin

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 07-Sep-08 13:10:44

Am off..DS is awake from his nap! <dons mummy cape and dashes off> smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now