Talk

Advanced search

back-carrying baby wearers - can i ask you something?

(10 Posts)
alittleteapot Thu 04-Sep-08 21:06:11

how do you stop the waist strap digging into your tummy in a very uncomfortable, garroting type way?

cmotdibbler Thu 04-Sep-08 21:10:22

Mine just doesn't. Don't know why - maybe its a matter of balancing the load between shoulders and waist.

Do you use a MT or SSC ? If you find its a problem, you could try a pod in a himalayan tie which means no waist strap

alittleteapot Thu 04-Sep-08 21:13:55

Thanks for reply

I've got a MT and an Ergo and they both do it. I feel like if the waist band was thicker and rested more on hips it would be better. The Ergo's very comfy on the front but she's getting too big for that.

What's a pod in a himalayan tie? Does it rely totally on shoulders?

FromGirders Thu 04-Sep-08 21:20:53

I have a babytrekker - really thick padded waist strap, it's really comfy and doesn't dig in at all. Was recommended it on MN years ago, it's my best bit of baby kit. babytrekker

cockles Thu 04-Sep-08 21:25:19

Pull baby in tighter on your back helps a bit. Also wear your trousers higher so band is on top of them? I always feel like my trousers are falling down with a back carry -all that muffin fat flobbling around the straps, too!
Himalayan tie means twisting the two shoulder straps together over your chest, I think. It is not flattering, on me at least..

cmotdibbler Thu 04-Sep-08 21:33:40

Some people do prefer a padded waist, although the ergos pretty padded already. Have you tried tieing the MT higher up ? I like mine just under my rib cage, rather than on my natural waist, but you can go right up under your bust
if you like.

A pod is like a MT, but only has top straps that are either straight across, or slighly angled up from the top edge. You then tie them up over your shoulders, then round like a MT. To do the himalayan bit, you bring them up, and cross over at the front above your bust, thread through the opposite strap and then tie. Easier to see rather than describe.

I also wonder whether your top straps are tight enough to stop you getting pull back ? Do you do a lexi twist (rather than just crossing over their bottom, you twist the straps together). I do that bit bent right over, and then straighten up to do my final tie - seems to keep DS much closer to me so the weight is distributed well.

boogeek Thu 04-Sep-08 21:37:57

I tie my MT round my hips (I am shortish, perhaps that is why it works). Definitely agree with the others who say to tie tight - feel counterintuitive but holds everything where it should be and prevents cutting in.

FeelingLucky Fri 05-Sep-08 07:22:11

I've had my ergo for a while now. As memory recalls, the manual which comes with it tells you that you should wear it on hips (if you're a woman) and around the waist if a man.

Anyway, I've always 'sat' the waistband on top of my hips and it's been comfortable enough.

alittleteapot Fri 05-Sep-08 07:45:16

Thanks everyone. I'll give it another try. It does seem to sit on hips when on the front but rides up when she's on the back. maybe it's just my body shape... will try and tighter straps thing too. and tying the mei tei higher.

cockles, yes, trousers always feel pushed down - not an attractive look!.

alittleteapot Fri 05-Sep-08 22:17:42

tried my MT tied around chest under bustline. Seemed good - and dd lovely and high. haven't tried it out and about yet but seemed like it might work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now