Talk

Advanced search

What's the cheapest GPS thingy I can use for that Geocaching malarky?

(40 Posts)
SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 10:39:54

Because it looks fun but I don't have the right equipment.

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 11:50:22

bump

choosyfloosy Thu 04-Sep-08 11:55:12

wish i knew sorry! would be interested myself

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 11:56:35

I think DSs would love it and it would give us a reason to get out of the house rather than just going out IYSWIM! I dont want to spend a fortune on a gadget though!

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 13:04:58

I will keep bumping this until I get an answer

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 20:05:19

Bump!

SoupDragon Fri 05-Sep-08 09:21:55

Can *no * one help??

Geocaching has been done just using the co-ordinates of a map. However a handheld GPS gets you to the exact spot a little better. Generally the more expensive the GPS the better the range, therefore more exact. Does kinda take the fun out of it though I think. Theres nothing like searching under a dozen Oak trees searching for a small lunchbox grin

Purchased from this online shop when I got DH's. We've got the Garmin Extrex Vista HCx but as I said a cheaper one would be just as good. Having had a quick look the cheapest is around £100.

plus3 Fri 05-Sep-08 16:09:47

think ours is slightly old - it's from garmin. Blacks & Millets are both doing a promotion on geocaching at the moment, so might be worth looking at their sites. Good luck!

Madlentileater Fri 05-Sep-08 16:15:16

what about ebay?

Anchovy Fri 05-Sep-08 16:17:59

Geocaching is brilliant fun <veteran of one cache find!>

Have a look on the website, because I think a couple of approved models "link in" to the site - ie it sends the co ordinates directly to the GPS.

SoupDragon Fri 05-Sep-08 18:05:22

Ooh! Replies!

I looked at the site but I know nothing about GPS at all. I also looked at Ebay but again, without having any idea what I should be looking for, it's a minefield.

It needs to be cheap because, TBH, it would never get used apart from this!

SoupDragon Fri 05-Sep-08 18:21:53

What features do I nee to look for? [clueless] The mapping ones seem to have pretty maps, non mapping doesn't (obviously!)

From biscuits' link Garmin eTrex Venture HC seems to be the cheapest if it's "international" rather than "atlantic (EU)" which means nothing to me.

auntyquated Sat 06-Sep-08 08:49:26

we are going to look for one of these this weekend for the same purpose! smile

there are some recommneded on the geocaching website and i have read some threads about which one to start with on their forum.

£72 seems to be the cheapest
here

most people on the forum say these are ok

i am going to look at blacks too as we ahve some vouchers from there

let us know how you get on

SoupDragon Sat 06-Sep-08 18:58:43

I couldn't find anything on their forums. Which is why I came back here

auntyquated Sat 06-Sep-08 20:48:58

i have just tried to find it again to link it here but couldn't find it either. hmm
however, we have been to Blacks and bought a etrex H
i am just ploughing through the instructions now; doesn't seem easy!
hope to try it tomorrow, on a route we know anyway!

MegBusset Sat 06-Sep-08 20:52:53

Get a Garmin Geko, pretty cheap and perfect for geocaching

MegBusset Sat 06-Sep-08 20:54:16

Not used an Etrex but the Geko is v easy to use and won't break if you drop it in a puddle.

auntyquated Sat 06-Sep-08 21:18:13

the gecko looks good.

the etrex doesn't have maps on so i don't know how you follow it?????

MegBusset Sat 06-Sep-08 21:20:39

The Geko doesn't have maps either, you put in the co-ordinates and an arrow gives you the direction and distance from the cache. You can mark waypoints along the way so you don't get lost!

SoupDragon Sat 06-Sep-08 21:29:12

I like the look of the eTrex Venture, but what's the difference between the "international" and "atlantic (EU)" versions?

auntyquated Sat 06-Sep-08 21:48:19

sorry soupy i don't know.

we found this video via the geocaching forum and have managed to load 2 caches onto it ready for tomorrow.

if the weather is dryish i will let you know how sucessful we are, and how good the etrex was.

SoupDragon Sat 06-Sep-08 21:51:32

I've been browsing local caches, wistfully.

auntyquated Sat 06-Sep-08 22:24:17

have you done any yet?

we have done 7 using our road sat nav. bit hit and miss but the kids loved it. amazing to think that on one of our regualr wlaks is a little box of treasure that has been hiding there for 3 yaers. grin

SoupDragon Sat 06-Sep-08 22:27:05

No as I don't have any GPS thing at all. Some look findable without one but I think part of the fun would be following the, er, whatever the GPS gives you... directions? Hints? <<ingaines device shouting "Warmer, warmer, COLD" >>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now