URGENT which MOBILE do you have and which one would you avoid etc.? URGENT

(19 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 03-Sep-08 15:35:13

cos DS is wanting either Samsung U600 or Motorola V8

on PAYG

He is buying it this afternoon so please reply quickleyThanks

smile

RGPargy Wed 03-Sep-08 15:37:09

I have a Nokia N95 8gb. It's really nice, lots of storage and very user friendly, plus you can really personalise it which is something you cant do on a Sony Ericcson. I have no idea about Samsungs and Motorolas. Sorry, not much help really!!

RTKangaMummy Wed 03-Sep-08 15:54:55

Thanks

We really wanted a PAYG one and that isn't available on PAYG

FAQ Wed 03-Sep-08 15:56:58

sorry can't help either as have the same as RGPargy

MatNanPlus Wed 03-Sep-08 15:57:13

I have the Samsung U600, fab phone, got accessories for it like snap on clear covers to protect it, spare battery etc from eBay and a Samsung Bluetooth from Orange

missingtheaction Wed 03-Sep-08 15:58:00

nokia 6500 classic, is lovely. 6300 is lovely too but this is even nicer

RTKangaMummy Wed 03-Sep-08 16:02:47

Is there much delay with taking photos on the U600 ?

DS wants a memory card thingy too

How about texting is there any problem with it?

Do they buttons on the outside lock so that the phone won't ring people while in pocket etc?

PinkTulips Wed 03-Sep-08 16:09:30

i have a motorola v8 that someone gave me when my old phone broke.

i initially thought i'd just use it for a while and then get one i liked but i've fallen in love with it grin

great phone, good buttons, nice big screen, handy flip downess so no fiddling with key locks.

MatNanPlus Wed 03-Sep-08 16:23:32

a second or so delay, mini card best deals eBay.

Texting fine

Yes you can set the phone to lock when closed

RTKangaMummy Wed 03-Sep-08 16:38:29

great thanks guys

We can't go now cos DH has just rung he has got a meeting that won't finish in time to get to the shop before closing sadangry

will let DS make the final choice but wanted MN opinion first

smile

Mattesdon Wed 03-Sep-08 22:30:15

I got a Samsung at the beginning of the year and it was my WORST phone decision yet!

it as the G600 I think.... or something.... one of those slidey ones anyway.

the keys didn't always register when you pressed them so you ended up making no sense in texts and ringing new numbers was bloody annoying!

my advice would be Sony or Nokia and not Samsung!!

RTKangaMummy Thu 04-Sep-08 10:13:16

Thanks

I think DS has been talking to some of the other boys at school and he is now talking about a NOKIA one

The problem is he wants a COOL one with:

Good camera
Good storage/memory for photos and texts

Although he doesn't need a music player - he says he has his MP3 player for that

He also doesn't need internet access cos I am a mean mummy and won't allow it ~ I have cancelled the internet access on VODAFONE

He is buying it himself and has saved £80 {although we may give him a bit towards it}

smile

So I am really confused as to which one to get

DH and I have always have SONY ones

smile

Are there any more recommendations or ones to stay well away from?

smile

CourtneyLush Thu 04-Sep-08 10:16:06

I find the best cameras are on the SonyEricssons, the cams on the Motorolas are shoite imo, although the keypads last on them better than the SEs. I have a Nokia 6500 at the moment and I don't rate the camera not compared to the SE 800i anyway.

RGPargy Thu 04-Sep-08 10:28:51

I would deffo go for a Nokia. IMO they go on and on forever and always survive being dropped a few times too (my own DS has dropped countless of my old Nokias and they've survived!).

As for the camera being "good", I dont know how old your DS is, but if he's young then the quality of the camera probably wouldn't be noticed by him but if he's a teen then it might.

In all honesty, i can say that i have only used the camera on my phone a few times and when i have, the quality has always been fine for what i want it for. Unless you are going to print off a picture in A3, the quality of the camera pretty much does the job well enough really.

SaintGeorge Thu 04-Sep-08 10:29:49

My last one was a Sony Ericsson W700i. My only gripe with that one was the cover for the memory card sometimes came open. Not a major problem, just a little annoying on occasion.

Now I have the K660i

Really like both of them and would recommend.

RTKangaMummy Thu 04-Sep-08 10:34:34

Thanks guys

smile

DS is 13 years old and his present phone is a NOKIA 3220 which was a good starter phone but he wants a better one now

Which NOKIA or SONY one would you recommend?

Ours are quite old ie mine is a K750i

There are sooooooooo many to choose from

smile

bundle Thu 04-Sep-08 10:34:56

deffo not motorola

CourtneyLush Thu 04-Sep-08 10:40:03

Dh has the ummm, think it's the 880i or something, ds has a more up to date one, can't remember which one. The cameras are really good on those.

RGPargy Thu 04-Sep-08 10:57:15

If you want impartial reviews on phones, go to GSM Arena. They go through each phone extensively, test it out and give you their opinion on what it's like.

I never buy a phone without checking out what these guys have to say about it first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now