Talk

Advanced search

I need a perspex-type "guard" to go on the front of my TV unit

(15 Posts)
RGPargy Wed 03-Sep-08 14:47:16

I've been looking everywhere for one but dont really know what to call it or even if it actually exists!!

I have a glass TV unit with the TV on top, then the PS3, then the Sat box/surround sound box under that. DD has just started crawling and finds these items irresistible! I want a screen that i can put on the front of my unit to stop tiny fingers poking around in things they shouldn't! Obviously the remotes will need to work through it lol.

Any ideas/help would be MUCH appreciated!!

RGPargy Wed 03-Sep-08 17:27:18

Anyone?!!!

Seona1973 Wed 03-Sep-08 19:54:44

what about individual ones like these?

RustyBear Wed 03-Sep-08 20:00:05

We used to use one of those transparent photo frames with a stand at right angles- the photo bit went under the TV & the stand bit was in front of the button/ You need quite a big one, or the stand bit isn't deep enough & of cours it only works if the buttons are at the bottom.
It worked for us when DS kept turning off the tv.
With DD it was easier - she turned it off once, while DS was watching Thomas, he thumped her & she never did it again.....

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 20:04:31

Well, not sure how lovely your TV unit is, but ours is a rather old and unlovely one from IKEA so we weren't that attached to it.

This is what we did... DH got a sheet of clear perspex and cut it to size, he fitted some little brackets to the unit and screwed on the perspex. We were still able to use remote controls thro it, but did have to 'aim' a little more accurately. He also cut a slit just big enough for the DVD drawer to pop out.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 20:05:24

damn - just noticed that your unit is glass, in that case bit more tricky... Duct tape a sheet of perspex mebbe?

penona Wed 03-Sep-08 20:12:05

Oh I need something like this, rhinestone would your Dh make some to order please?!

Am watching with interest. Drives me insane the button fiddling, esp when recording something...

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 20:42:53

penona - we have joked about hiring him out, he is pretty handy with DIY grin

penona Wed 03-Sep-08 21:07:38

My DH has just got him so am going to tell him about what other men can do ... grin

RGPargy Wed 03-Sep-08 22:13:54

Hmmm i do like the sheet of perspex idea - i did think of that myself actually! Deffo need to sort something out tho as DD just heads STRAIGHT for the boxes all the time!! Maybe they do stick on magnets or something that we could attach to both the cabinet and the perspex. either that or velcro!

blithedance Fri 05-Sep-08 22:29:42

We have the DVD shield that Seona mentioned - it's been completely toddlerproof, if we had a sky box would put one on that too. We did have a sheet across all the units but they started overheating due to lack of ventilation (I think the DVD/HD recorder was the culprit). But that might not be a problem if it's a glass shelf presumably with an open back. You could get a clear sheet, drill holes in the edges and cable tie it to the table legs?

TheProvincialLady Fri 05-Sep-08 22:34:03

My DH made a perspex cover for our Ikea tv unit thing as well - worked very well for a couple of months until DS smashed a hole in itshock So we threw it all away and bought an ordinary cupboard with a LOCK on the front and it has been bliss!

RGPargy Fri 05-Sep-08 23:05:01

blithedance - yes that might be our option.

ProvincialLady - We like our glass unit too much for that!! hehehe!

cargirl Fri 05-Sep-08 23:07:14

I had a perspex shield that sat in front of the DVD from mothercare - so you could get a few?

cargirl Fri 05-Sep-08 23:09:55

okay I had a design that they don't do anymore - shame it was fantastic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now