Talk

Advanced search

Smart Car: Have you one?

(11 Posts)
Shoshe Wed 03-Sep-08 09:34:59

Does anybody drive one, we are thinking of getting DGD (OK 4 years away) one as a first car, sone of the reasons being it only has two seats so couldn't fill the car with mates (which seems to be a factor in accidents,and it is cheap to run.

NomDePlume test drove one here and wasn't impressed.

Anybody else have a input.

NomDePlume Wed 03-Sep-08 09:37:18

I know you don't want to hear from me again on this one wink but here is a review....

Honest John on the Smart ForTwo

NomDePlume Wed 03-Sep-08 09:38:41

Review of the 2007+ facelifted model

Shoshe Wed 03-Sep-08 09:43:59

Thank you darlink will be getting DH to read those thoroughly.

Must admit I don't do mechanics (this is the woman who had to get DH out to open the bonnet of her old fiesta, as I couldn t open it, I had stood there for ten minutes trying to find the catch at the front.

It opened from the windscreen end!!! blush

NomDePlume Wed 03-Sep-08 09:44:39

lol

BexieID Wed 03-Sep-08 09:46:38

Didn't David Coulthard drive one? One of the lads at work has one. Could ask him what they are like?

castlesintheair Wed 03-Sep-08 09:49:17

DH has one which he drives to work. He starts work in The City at 7am and we live in the 'burbs so it is ideal for him to get there. I drive it a bit and have driven others on holiday. Obviously it's so small it fits anywhere so parking is a doddle. It has the tardis effect whereby you feel you are driving a huge car then you see yourself in a shop window as you drive past grin You get no respect from other drivers. Something to think about with a new driver. They are great fun though. Economical. Nippy. Easy to drive.

Shoshe Wed 03-Sep-08 09:50:47

Yes please, must admit was thinking of getting a four seat one for myself when I give up CMing, I currently drive a 8 seater Mazda Bongo, but that might be overkill, when its just me to pootle about grin

Do want a automatic tho, not sure they do them in auto.

NomDePlume Wed 03-Sep-08 09:51:41

Shoshe, I don't think they did the 2001-2007 version in a manual.

Shoshe Wed 03-Sep-08 09:56:10

Have also thought about a Ford Ka sort of thing for me.

car for her (much to her disgust) as it was the only two seater that we could think of that wasn't a sports car

sweetie66 Wed 03-Sep-08 13:43:12

I have took delivery of mine this week. Am very excited. It is a bit strange to drive as it is a semi automatic (change gear but with no clutch) so he might find it hard to adjust to. Steering is quite heavy as well. Parking is very easy, but because the car is so high you really don't want to be speeding round any corners. Visibilty out of the rear window is rubbish. Boot is very spacious. I think the top speed is about 80mph so not sure I feel like braving the M1 yet. If I was honest I completely love it (perfect car for DD and me) but not convinced it would be good for a new young driver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now