Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Present for a 4 yr old Tomboy?

(22 Posts)
lulupop Mon 21-Feb-05 07:26:32

It's my son's best friend's birthday next week, and given how well they get along, and the fact her mother is one of my closest friends, it's really important to me to get a present she really likes.

She's already getting a bug finding kit and a worm vivarium (yuk!) from her grandparents. What could I get her? Ideally I'd like something a bit more original than Axtion Man, but just can't seem to think of anything.

Earlybird Mon 21-Feb-05 07:35:28

What about a nice kite? I got one for dd in anticipation of spring/high winds.

lulupop Mon 21-Feb-05 10:00:13

She'd love a kite, although from the mother's point of view I think I;d prefer to get her some kind of activity/toy which she could play with unsupervised

gingerbear Mon 21-Feb-05 10:01:53

What about a construction toy - knex or geomag?

woodpops Mon 21-Feb-05 10:02:50

An ant farm????

HelloMama Mon 21-Feb-05 10:21:33

What about some musical instruments, like a recorder or a drum? I know it won't be popular with the parents (!) but she may find it fun! Or is she too old for these types of things?

lulupop Mon 21-Feb-05 11:16:35

ant farm = great, but since she;s already getting a worm vivarium I thought perhaps the parents wouldn't want too many other nasties in the house!

her household already has a full complement of musical instruments, but the geomag wld be great. I have seen it in the shops but there seems to be so many different sets - what would be the best starter set?

woodpops Mon 21-Feb-05 12:02:26

How much do you want to spend???

gingerbear Mon 21-Feb-05 12:06:16

I bought nephew geomag with the flat pieces in as well as the sticks and balls. Hang on, will have a look.

gingerbear Mon 21-Feb-05 12:13:01

£14.99 46 piece set from Amazon. Only small, but a good starter set - 125 pieces are £30.00

or, there are similar balls and sticks only from baker ross 50 pieces are £7.99

lulupop Mon 21-Feb-05 12:23:34

I would like to spend £20-£30. I've had a look on Ebay and there's a few things there. There's a 60 piece one in green, new and boxed for £9, or a 60 piece glow in the dark one, also new, for £19.99.

There's also loads of something similar called Magnetix. Is this as good?

Are 60 pieces enough for a starter set, or would you need more?

piffle Mon 21-Feb-05 12:35:46

starter set geomag I would recommend is just sticks and balls, you can then let her parents spend all the extra monies to build up the set, for a young child of 4 a small set would be perfect, it gets very costly.the panels are a bit more difficult to use as well...
Its fabulous stuff

tigi Mon 21-Feb-05 13:22:18

what about the brio builder construction sets - my 5 yo loves them!

lulupop Mon 21-Feb-05 13:35:29

b*gger! just spoke to the mother who told me someone else is buying her some geomag.

the brio construction things are great though, had forgotten about those. will look at them again.

mother suggested polly pocket - not v tomboyish but apparently she really likes the "magnet" kind. what is that then?

sandyballs Mon 21-Feb-05 13:35:48

My little tomboy is 4 next week and she wants a policeman outfit.

lulupop Mon 21-Feb-05 13:59:17

bless her!

where are you getting it from?

woodpops Mon 21-Feb-05 14:12:52

DS loves his ELC police mans outfit!!!

lunavix Mon 21-Feb-05 14:14:20

Just an idea but a skateboard?

sandyballs Mon 21-Feb-05 14:15:40

She's seen the one in Woolworths and has fallen in love with it. Her twin sister wants a really girly frilly pink dressing up dress, Princess and the Pauper or something. Can you tell I'm more like the tomboy

Earlybird Mon 21-Feb-05 14:42:40

Here are a few other tomboyish ideas - dd got a funny tiger flashlight for Christmas and loves to sit in the dark turning it on/off and making light patterns on the wall/ceiling. Also loves turning it on under the duvet - sort of like a cave! Flashlights are fun for kids.

DD also has a little rucksack on her bicycle (with stabilisers of course), and I've gotten her a plastic drinks thermos to carry in the rucksack. The top of the thermos is a little cup, and she loves stopping for a drink/snack when she's out for a ride.

Other big item at our house for the moment, is an inexpensive cd player (from Argos) with a few kids music cds. She loves being in her room and playing on her own with "her" music on.

Another idea would be a sleeping bag? She can pretend to go camping, make beds for her animals/toys, etc. Even use it for friends.

Last idea is a nylon tent/tunnel. We have a small one. An adult has to set it up, but once done, kids love playing with it - especially when the weather is foul outside.

Whew - that's it....I'm out of ideas for now!

lulupop Tue 22-Feb-05 19:01:17

thank you for great ideas earlybird, there are a couple there I think I'll combine - torch and tent.

Earlybird Wed 23-Feb-05 14:11:31

Glad to be of help lulupop. Hope she likes the gifts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now