Talk

Advanced search

Pram seat for toting a toddler around?

(56 Posts)
LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 20:26:42

Has anyone used anything like one of these

My sister had one years ago for my DN1 when DN2 was born, but it was on a big, solid carriage built pram. I am having a pram dilemma as I can't sell my Hauck Infinity lookeylikey and don't want to bring another pram into the house as DH will go spare......so the alternative is one of these over the carrycot bit of the Hauck, but I'm not sure how sturdy it will be. There is a metal frame, but the sides of the pram seem pretty soft.

Any comments would be much appreciated smile

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 20:47:24

bump

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:49:52

Lacks, I too have been looking at one of those to attach to a Bugaboo. I have read differing reviews on them fitting a pram that is not totally hard bodied but I may just buy one anyway and see how it goes. How old with the child be who will be sitting on it? Is a Hauck similar to a Bugaboo at all?

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 21:01:20

hey pgNo3...have been lurking on your P&T thread as well; you obviously have the same dilemma grin

DD will be 17 mo when the baby arrives, and as I had thought we may as well hang onto the Hauck (mothercare version of it, but made my hauck and just the same) and we can use the carrycot as a downstairs crib, I thought about these and was surprised you could actually still buy them!

The hauck is quite similar in looks to a bugaboo, and I think the construction is similar. there is a metal frame around the top of the carrycot bit, but the sides are soft, and there are four struts that keep the sides rigid iyswim.

Reeeeeeeelly want a P&T though and am torn between the sport and the vibe.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:09:04

Haha, are we the same person!

Yesterday, I was keeping the Bugaboo but just going to buy a Maclaren Techno twin.

The day before that I was buying an Icandy Pear.

The day before that I was buying a P&T.

The day before that I was buying a second hand Jane Powertwin,

Tomorrow I will be going around the f@cking bend!

I am so fed up of this double pushchair dilemma, I most certainly have better things to worry about in life but this is taking over!

I have decided, you buy the Babydan seat and tell me what it is like! grin wink

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:10:07

When are you due? I am 3 Feb. Absolutely shitting myself as to how I will manage 2 under 17 months. Also have DD1 who will be 6 but is the work of 4 toddlers. hmm

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 21:23:29

lol pgNo3, we are the same person shock

I also have a DS who is 6 and the work of four toddlers! thank heavens he went back to school today.

Due beginning of November, so if I do get the babydan thing, there is time for me to give it a thorough testing before you need to fork out wink

am also stressing about buggies and DH scratching his head in despair. I think because I have all the other baby parawhatsit from DD, this is the only big financial decision we have to make........oh well, and a car that we can get three kiddy seats across the back hmm. Who said third babies don't cost anything!

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 21:26:31

I think with the big age gap between one and two it's making the tiny age gap seem even more extreme!

tonight, it was a nightmare getting the two of them to bed. How I'll manage it with a cluster feeding newborn is anyone's guess, especially as DH is away Tuesday to Friday every week.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:27:51

Oh yes, the car issue as well. Luckily I have a Megane Scenic and I could fit 3 seats in the back but it will be a bit of a squeeze. Was thinking about buying a double decker bus off ebay - then I could put all my prams on it and not even have to dismantle them!

I would be thinking of ordering any pram I get around November so I will await with abated breath to see how you get on.

goodasgold Tue 02-Sep-08 21:32:35

I had a little babydan seat, made for SilverCross bit worked fine on my soft body Cossatto pram.

It's nice because you can chat to your toddler, but not if they are used to having a nap in the puschair.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:34:30

Have you a link to your Cosatto pram goodasgold so we can see they style of pram it is!? If you don't mind that is...

DD2 doesn't really nap in the pushchair, only if we are out all day. Which will be rare with 2 babies. sad

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:35:53

God bless ya Lacks having to do it on your own. Do you not have anyone nearby who could maybe help you whilst the baby is new? I too with be breastfeeding, although how long for is anyone's guess. I BF DD1 for 9 months and DD2 for 7, I will probably last 5 mins with DC3.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 21:43:26

PILs are ten miles away, but they spend most of their free time babysitting for BILs trio hmm. Have good friends and neighbours though and DS is taking a month off.

He has an interview for a local job on Friday, so fingers crossed.

thanks goodasgold smile. Might see if I can pick one up cheap on ebay and give it a whirl.

It'll be mainly used for the school run which is only a 15 minute walk. DD seldom naps in the pram these days and if we go out on a family day out, she will go in the baby rucsac carried by DH and I'll pop the baby in a sling or DD's Techno....or DD in the Techno and baby in the sling.....or me round the bend...whatever gets us through it grin

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 21:43:55

oops, mean DH is taking a months off, obviously!

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:51:22

Do you know what you are having? I am going to find out this time because I want to be prepared to get valium if I have another girl!

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 21:58:27

It's a blue one. Could've done with it being another girl as we gave all DSs clothes away as we didn't think we would have any more, and now have loads of girl's stuff. Never mind; he'll look great in pink flowery babygros and nappy wraps grin

But, I think being the only girl will suit DD well as she is the apple of her Daddy's eye.

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 02-Sep-08 22:13:11

I thought of getting one of these for my Frog when DD was due, but I was concerened that the bugaboo cot fits on a central post rather than a cross frame and this may put undue stress on this point, or cause the carrycot to tip.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 22:19:57

thanks for that pinky smile. My pram is supported on two bars and clips in at one end so I think the weight would go back to the frame pretty well. Stability was my one issue with it, as DD is a wriggly, little determined thing and would probably be off the pram and running around with the thing still strapped to her bum grin

Am so fed up with the sight of the Hauck that I am getting to the point where I want to just give it away as all attempts at selling it have proved futile.

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 02-Sep-08 22:29:31

grin DD is a real escapologist, too.

I did have to put a 5 point harness on DS when I first used the P&T as it goes- the straps were too big on him and he could climb out.

pgwithnumber3 Wed 03-Sep-08 19:42:14

LACKS, I have decided I am going to sell my Bugaboo <cries and looks longingly at pram I loved more than my children> and get a P&T. Cannot see the point in getting a double Maclaren as if I need to just take one baby out, I will look a bit weird.

You need to get a P&T now just so we can discuss them. wink

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 21:06:06

lol PGNo3...I have been coming to that conclusion myself. I even accosted a poor woman in hobbycraft this am who was pushing a vibe. Not sure DH will want to spend that much though.

pgwithnumber3 Wed 03-Sep-08 21:19:47

I have accosted around 1000 women with different twin buggies; My best friend dies of embarrassment if she is with me. grin

What did the lady say about the Vibe?

taliac Wed 03-Sep-08 21:25:41

Have not enjoyed the Maclaren twin FWIW. Steers like a very large cow, you end up heaving it up pavements and over bumps. Contrasts very poorly with our beloved single (Bugaboo).

Mind you I don't like the Maclaren single either (have used a friend's on and off) so maybe its a matter of taste.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 21:27:25

she said it was good and the best thing she has ever bought. the hood can go up and down to accommodate taller babies and it folds without taking the spare seat off. Her DD was only six weeks and looked a bit squished in the baby seat already though imo.

she did say that the brake is a bit annoying as she keeps catching it. (It's a button on the handlebar rather than the clunky stiff bar on the sport). Hopefully catching it ON rather than OFF though.

I had a look in mothercare yesterday as well, but lack of sales assistants (like about four covering the whole shop floor including tills) made me impatient so I didn't get the lowdown from them. It looks a lot chunkier than the sport.

Not sure the few advantages are worth the extra moola though.

and apparently you can now get a "classic" which is the old E3 rebranded and still cheaper than the sport........decisions decisions decisions

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 21:29:39

lol taliac.....best avoid a double maclaren then......a very large cow steering a very large cow will be a strange sight indeed grin

actually have groin ligament issues, so that is a very valid comment, thanks.

I love my single techno XLR though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now