Talk

Advanced search

All of you with a Phil & Ted's, where the hell do you put your shopping/changing bag?!

(58 Posts)
pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:13:59

I had practically made my mind up about getting a P&T for when DC3 arrives as DD2 will only be 16 months BUT then I have been looking at other mums using them and realised, there is absolutely NOWHERE to put your shopping!

I walk into our local town or village and do a lot of my shopping on foot, I usually hang it off the handles of my stroller or I have clips on my Bugaboo and I hang my changing bag off the handles as well but there is no way you could do that with the P&T as bags would hit the baby in the doubles kit seat. hmm

I know you can get pannier bags but that doesn't solve the shopping.

So, do you just not take it shopping?

thesockmonsterofdoom Tue 02-Sep-08 20:15:11

The pannier bags are massive and fantastic. you really really need them, i use as a changing bag and have the other for shopping.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:18:39

Good lord, does that mean I have to spend more money!? On two of them?! grin

Swampster Tue 02-Sep-08 20:19:23

I started getting mine delivered around that point - DS1 was a nightmare in the supermarket.

The panniers are very handy for shopping - they are pretty big - but they make you VERY wide.

Now DS1 is a bit older, he mostly walks or scoots everywhere and the back seat on the P&T is fantastic for all my shopping.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:19:26

I think I may buy a trailer to pull behind me for the shopping. grin hmm

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:20:13

Ohhhh you naughteeee ladies are now making me want one again...

Tutter Tue 02-Sep-08 20:20:13

everyone told me the paniers are a farking nightmare grin

so i stash a mini change mat (a travel one that folds out and holds nappies and wipes) into the elastic bag at the back/under the toddler seat

ilovemydog Tue 02-Sep-08 20:20:22

I've got pannier bags too. I tend to stuff one with the rain guard/sun guard, diaper stuff. Leaving the other exclusively for shopping. And the under carrigage bit also takes quite a bit.

Although I did someone a few days ago that got their toddler to walk and her seat had a ton of shopping!

Swampster Tue 02-Sep-08 20:20:27

I seem to remember my panniers coming as a pair...

Tutter Tue 02-Sep-08 20:20:45

but yes, it's a problem

don't ever take mine shopping

MatNanPlus Tue 02-Sep-08 20:20:53

I use for shopping, bag on handle bars,low and level with baby's head when lying down or pulled up high so above baby's head when in back seat (as bigger child in the front seat), for the beginning baby will be lying down and toddler will be above baby so can access from the back but i don't use carrier bags i stack from belt into the shopping basket and have a backpack for bulky things.

The panniers are great instead of a nappy bag and good for lightweight / small items.

Can you online order big things like loo roll, nappies, wipes, water, drinks basically anything no food related?

It is surprising what you can pack in that basket, even had the bulky travel bag folded up in ours once

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:21:32

Is there a conspiracy on Mumsnet that makes you buy a P&T if you need a double?

cupsoftea Tue 02-Sep-08 20:22:36

I like the idea but where to put kids school bags (lunch boxes)? I don't see how a little one could walk holding onto the frame with the side bags?

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:22:43

I think the idea of not going shopping with 2 babies has suddenly become very appealing.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:23:39

I think the hood comes in handy for lunch boxes etc cupsoftea, or so the Mums at DD's new school seem to think so!

cupsoftea Tue 02-Sep-08 20:24:29

pg - can you do that with the raincover on?

Swampster Tue 02-Sep-08 20:25:03

I also have a massive, expanding, banana-shaped bag that I hang from the handle/steery/whatever-you-call-it-thing when necessary. (Folds up small, lives at bottom of buggy).

silverfrog Tue 02-Sep-08 20:25:41

would agree that it is surprising what you can stash in the basket,

i quite often have nearly a weeks worth of shopping in mine (nothing bulky like loo roll, but still not a small amount of food).

I tend to pack straight into the basket from the till point, and then unload into car boot when i unload the girls, but if i lived closer inot town could walk home with it...

MatNanPlus Tue 02-Sep-08 20:39:44

they also do a handlebar bag instead of a handag which is nice and compact.

I am guessing you were getting an inline P&T?

The Pannier Bags are a pair and have a web handle and look great, they are either charcoal or black whereas the handbar bag is also in red or lime/apple.

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Tue 02-Sep-08 20:41:12

I fit a large holdall, which contains a changing mat, 2 or 3 cloth nappies, liners, wipes, a spare wrap, cream, a change of clothes, DD's cup, suncream, sunhat, piriton syrup, teething gel, and calpol into the basket underneath. There is then enough room for either my jacket if it's one of those will I/won't I need a jacket days, or some shopping. Depending on which jacket and how much shopping I have even squeezed both in.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:46:09

No idea cupsoftea, just noticed that the few mums I saw today stashed all their kids coats/lunch boxes on the top of the hood!

MatNanPlus Tue 02-Sep-08 20:48:33

child could hold onto the pannier handle rather than the frame, lunch boxes into an ikea bag

or carried by the child <mean nanny face>

or you could buy these to attach lunchboxes to handle bar sides.

nicolamumof3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:49:02

personally i don't like the bulkiness of the panniers, so yep shopping delivered for us!! my p&t arrived yesterday and once i sort out the problem with the wheel i think i will be in love. i've ordered a hangbag from NZ as wanted the blue one!! Its worked out cheaper, im wondering whether to get one of those parcel cells as my 2.8yr old does like to empty the shopping out of the basket!!

nicolamumof3 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:53:30

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/1012/597186

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 02-Sep-08 21:03:06

LOads of stuff in parcel cell under pram,

pannier bags- fitted to the narrowest part of the pram so not any wider

buggy buddy on handle bars to clip a bag to.

plonk anything not too heavy on pram hood.

I used to do a weekly shop on foot with two under two no probs.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now