Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a de-humidifier?

(12 Posts)
sammysam Tue 02-Sep-08 10:06:17

We have really bad problems with condensation every winter in our house so this year we're going to get a de-humidifier so we don't wake up with soakeing wet windows every morning!
But what should we be looking for?
Does anyone have a good one they can suggest? Do they make a lot of noise and how economical are they? Also how often do you have to empty it?
We have 2/3 bedrooms. We have no idea and don't want to shell out £100 for it to keep us awake or not work grin
Any help would be fantastic! x

Goober Tue 02-Sep-08 10:11:22

I have a small one that I bought in B & Q for £75 a couple of years ago for my utility room. It gets damp because of the tumble drier and dog sleeps in there. It works. You'd be surprised how much water I tip out of it every day.
However, I don't think one unit would be effective enough to keep an entire house dry.

GooseyLoosey Tue 02-Sep-08 10:12:45

We got one from B&Q too. We do however find that it uses an awful lot of electricity.

Goober Tue 02-Sep-08 10:14:52

I agree. I only run mine in the winter, on the auto setting. Also would have thought it would be noisy to sleep with.

MrsTittleMouse Tue 02-Sep-08 10:16:42

We have a DeLonghi one from Argos (it cost £100). It's pretty quiet and we really like it. I haven't worked out how much it costs to run though. blush

Cappuccino Tue 02-Sep-08 10:20:08

my mum had one and it cost loads to run

i got a freecycle one but i only use it when the dryer is on because of this

sammysam Tue 02-Sep-08 10:27:18

Thats what i was worried about-but really we have no choice as we developed mold on dds wall last winter shock
I read about them somewhere and they will do a whole house if it has a big enough capacity and is put somewhere central like at the bottom of the stairs-but i wanted to see if anyone had experience of this?
We'd only use it at night i expect, and on the auto function.
Goober-where do you put yours? If it was on constantly would it be ok at night or is it the turning on off that'd make it hard to sleep do you think?
I suppose we'd get used to it-we really do think it might be our only option sad

Goober Tue 02-Sep-08 10:34:20

We get mould in our bedrooms too. I clean it off with neet bleech, leaving a layer of bleech on the surface which delays it growing back.
Also my winows stream water every morning, they are double glazed too, I just keep wiping them down and use the bleech on the frames too.

Mine is in my utility room, on the floor. It's a small room. The door is always closed.
The noise would definately disturb me. It is a constant clicking and humming.

sammysam Tue 02-Sep-08 10:51:21

Thanks goober-we have tried bleach but i think it might be too late as it is under the paint and the plaster i expect sad-think the previous owners musr have painted over it.
Can you tell me what make yours is?

Goober Tue 02-Sep-08 12:56:52

What make of paint or dehumidifer???

Paint= Crown
DH= B & Q own.

Maybe you could try kitchen and bathroom paint on the walls next time you decorate, it is easier to wipe.

sammysam Tue 02-Sep-08 16:07:13

Sorry Goober-wasn't very clear was it?! DH! Is kitchen and bathroom paint more shiney than normal paint as well? That is quite a good idea though-also saw some mould killing/covering up paint that we'll have to try!

Goober Tue 02-Sep-08 19:07:09

Kitchen/bathroom paint has a slight sheen, but is in no way glossy. Get a test pot. There are some good shades too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now