Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a group 1 REAR FACING car seat? Impossible to find!

(33 Posts)
forevared Mon 01-Sep-08 15:00:39

I'm trying to track down a rearfacing group 1 car seat after some excellent advice from mumsnetters but can't find them anywhere in the UK.

Does anyone have one and please can you tell me where you got it?

Thanks in advance

mistlethrush Mon 01-Sep-08 15:03:03

I got a Britax one that you could turn round and use forward facing at a later stage - was from BabyDirect in Leeds

forevared Mon 01-Sep-08 15:04:55

Is that the Nordic?

mistlethrush Mon 01-Sep-08 16:08:43

I think it was probably the First Class SI but can't remember as it was quite some time ago that we got it. We were pleased with it though - certainly enabled us to keep large ds rear facing for considerably longer than we would have otherwise.

mistlethrush Mon 01-Sep-08 16:09:53

www.reviewcentre.com/reviews34835.html

kezboosnez Mon 01-Sep-08 16:41:27

hi i had the recaro poaric but hat to send it back to baby world as it was broken but didnt like it much,as when it was fitted it was very upright.If u go on to rearfacing.co.uk u will get lots of info on them

Bewilderbeast Mon 01-Sep-08 16:42:03

Britax first class Si or Si ultra

HelloBeastie Mon 01-Sep-08 17:00:53

I have a Recaro polaric, got it from the in Car Safety Centre, Milton Keynes. Would recommend them, actually, were very good.

The guy fitted about 4 in our car as we dithered blush

kezboosnez Mon 01-Sep-08 17:07:46

my little one was very happy when we tried out the recaro i think it depends on the car if it fits well

forevared Mon 01-Sep-08 19:49:11

The recaro polaric looks like the only one available and have now managed to find one website that sells them.
Bit worried about buying over the internet though in case it doesn't fit. Bit of a trek to Milton Keynes from Wales!

I've already been on rearfacing.co.uk but thanks for the tip. It's a great site and has really made me think twice about getting a forward facing seat.

rowrowrowyourboat Mon 01-Sep-08 22:19:03

We have the Brio Zento, which is a non-isofix one. It can be used rearfacing up to 25kg or turn forward facing if you want. We got it from Paul Stride in York www.paulstride.co.uk we ordered over the phone, I don't think that you can order online. They were really helpful.

If you want the Britax ones try www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/shop/special.html
They are in Milton Keynes

rowrowrowyourboat Mon 01-Sep-08 22:28:13

Sorry you can order the Zento on-line now www.paulstride.co.uk/index.php?option=categories&category_id=359944 here

loveshopping Tue 02-Sep-08 08:50:36

We've got a Britax First Class as DD grew out of her infant carrier before she could sit up unaided and read lots of reviews online which said don't turn babies round too soon. It was a bit tricky putting her in, in a 3 door car but now she's round the other way, it's just like the other Britax ones, would throughly recommend this. Bought it from boots.

FioFio Tue 02-Sep-08 08:52:55

Message withdrawn

loveshopping Tue 02-Sep-08 09:16:09

They say keep them rear facing for as long as you can, always much safer if you have an accident. I found it tricky to get DD in and out as I only have a 3 door car. She was about 11 months when we turned her round. I think the rule is when they can sit up unaided and keep their head supported, then it's ok to turn them round.

FioFio Tue 02-Sep-08 09:17:08

Message withdrawn

Sawyer64 Tue 02-Sep-08 09:26:20

Try _here_

mistlethrush Tue 02-Sep-08 10:11:27

You're better leaving them as long as you can - I believe on the continent they leave them until 4 or so. The Britax First Class isn't too bad to get them into rear facing if you've got a 4 door car and the back door isn't too 'cut-away' - if it is you sort of have to post them into it head first and then swing them up so that their head is in the right position - otherwise you brain them on the top of the doorway each time which rather detracts from having a rear facing seatgrin. We managed to keep ds in his until he was over 1 and he was large and strong - sat unaided at 5mo (in fact, lifted head off my shoulder on day 1!). Loved the recline on it - was really good for sleeping in on longer journeys, and we could manage to recline it reaching through from the front of the car once it was forward facing.

FlightAttendent Tue 02-Sep-08 10:14:37

Concorde Ultimax is another one. RF till about 18mo then forward till 4yo.

FioFio Tue 02-Sep-08 10:17:26

Message withdrawn

loveshopping Tue 02-Sep-08 13:03:06

lol FioFio and mistlethrush

forevared Tue 02-Sep-08 14:20:18

The Britax First Class and Concord Ultimax, while I'm sure are great combination seats, aren't group 1 and that's what I want.

My ds is already 10kg at 6 months and I need a *group 1* seat that will take him up to 4 years of age rearfacing once I can't use his current infant carrier.

There are ones like the Brio Zento as someone mentioned and Britax do the Nordic. The safest one seems to be the BeSafe iZikid but try finding it in the UK!

misdee Tue 02-Sep-08 14:23:24

inc arsafety centre as li8nked below carry several rearfacing group 1 seats to age 4. they are under the special needs section.

silverfrog Tue 02-Sep-08 14:24:13

Britax do another one (Fixway? sorry, memory failure, but think it's called something like that) - Isofix, rear-facing up to 18kg. It's available form volvo garages.

I have it, and dd1 was in it until she was about 3.7 (she's big for her age).

Lionstar Tue 02-Sep-08 14:37:34

We have the Akta Graco DuoLogic 2, which is fab, but we had to import from Sweden. It only goes to 18Kg, but DD is small so she'll have ages in it. We've only just got her out of her Maxi Cosi 0+ seat and she's 18 months! We chose this one because it fits with Isofix AND seatbelts, it is also suitable from birth (actually has an integral infant seat that can be removed)

If anyone is after one I can recommend this chap for importing: robert.bell@sakta.se. He's very helpful and obviously knows a lot about the rear-facing seats. However sadly it's not a cheap option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now