Talk

Advanced search

My little pony question (can't quite believe am posting this)

(22 Posts)
dotty2 Mon 01-Sep-08 10:20:58

DD1 is 3 and am coming to accept that the era of me choosing well-designed, PC, tasteful toys for her is over.

She fell in love with a My Little Pony (a pink one) that was in the toy box in a cottage we stayed in this summer. So when she deserved a special treat I swallowed my pride and went out and bought her one of her own. But - disaster- it turns out that the thing she really loved about holiday pony was that its head turned and you could make it look in different directions. Not so new inferior pony.

We have v.few toy shops where I live so need to buy online and my question is - which pony ranges (of the many bewildering varieties on offer) come with turning heads. Please help so I can direct my mental energy in a more worthy direction.

cece Mon 01-Sep-08 10:24:42

DD thinks that none of them move their heads hmm She has a lot... I htink some of them do, maybe the ones that aren't real MLP??? Hold on I will go and look in her room..

nailpolish Mon 01-Sep-08 10:26:01

all our my little ponys turn their heads

i dotn have any boxes though sorry

i think we got them in woolies

RubyRioja Mon 01-Sep-08 10:26:44

I have two genuine MLPs next to me, one has a moveable head, one has a static head.

Nbg Mon 01-Sep-08 10:28:06

I know my dd has some rip off MLP that she got for xmas a couple of years ago.
I think they were Tescos own brand of turning head pony and there were 3 in a box. Al different sizes.

bethoo Mon 01-Sep-08 10:30:28

i still have my my MLP from when i was pre teen. wonder if they are worth anything? that makes them about 20 years old!

RubyRioja Mon 01-Sep-08 10:31:08

Maybe Bethoo - there are lots of nutters collectros in ebay.

I sold a load of old carebears

cece Mon 01-Sep-08 10:32:36

OK have just tried about 10 different ones (Iknow!) and some do and some don't. Not realy helpful is it? They are all genuine MLP. They all have a join at the neck but some are static heads and some turn hmm

FWIW the ones facing to the right as a general rule seem to turn and the ones facing to the left seem not to turn. But she does have one that doesn't follow that rule!

stripeymama Mon 01-Sep-08 10:35:35

Same as everyone else - some turn, some don't.

No idea how/why this is so.

dotty2 Mon 01-Sep-08 10:39:01

Aargh - thank you all for your amazingly prompt replies to such a silly question. But what a conundrum. Will try to apply cece's formula and hope I don't hit an exception. (And Ruby: there clearly are loads of - ahem, people with time in their hands - out there. When I tried typing "my little pony turning head" into google, I found lots of advice and blogs from people into customising MLPs, and the odd fetishist too. Takes all sorts)

GooseyLoosey Mon 01-Sep-08 10:40:26

If you have a look at Hasbro's "my little pony" stuff here most of them appear to have a "neck joint" if you know what I mean.

Hasbro's customer affairs no is 00800 22427276 - you could ring and ask them!

dotty2 Mon 01-Sep-08 11:09:46

Thanks for that link, GL. I know exactly what you mean, but that's the problem - the one we have looks as if it has a neck joint but doesn't actually move, and I think you wouldn't be able to tell that until you opened the packaging. Maybe will try giving them a call if that number works from the UK. Still can't quite believe am putting so much mental energy into something so trivial, but DD1 was really disappointed, bless her, and she is not generally much bothered by toys (more into things that involve me giving her 100% undivided attention) so was quite pleased to have found something she liked so much.

Oliveoil Mon 01-Sep-08 11:13:58

some move, some don't

also, some have a magnetic foot (that can stick to the fridge, cue amazement) and some don't

dotty2 Mon 01-Sep-08 11:17:35

Right - I called Hasbro and they were really helpful and opened a box for me. Apparently all the current range from 2007/8 do have turning heads - the one I bought (from local cheapie shop) was a 2004 model and they didn't. So - mystery solved and can go and do some work instead of obsessing about this. Thank you all...

Oliveoil Mon 01-Sep-08 11:23:32

ASK THEM ABOUT THE MAGNETIC FEET!

blush

RubyRioja Mon 01-Sep-08 11:35:02

Oh yes - life is not complete until you have a collection of ponies stuck to every fridge/radiator

dotty2 Mon 01-Sep-08 11:38:41

Hey, look Olive Oil - have swallowed my pride once. Am not calling them again!! Interestingly, our static head pony does have a magnetic foot and DD1 only discovered that at the weekend when the hairclip she was trying to put in its mane stuck to its foot instead. She was intrigued, but not enough to make up for lack of mobility in the head department. Fortunately no fridge door in our household...

ninedragons Mon 01-Sep-08 11:39:07

Don't they melt if you stick them to the radiator? Or do you just re-badge them and tell your children they are Salvador Dali's Little Pony?

RubyRioja Mon 01-Sep-08 11:41:34

arf - no heating allowed in our house - have spent all money on bloody ponies

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 01-Sep-08 11:43:09

i think its the plain mlp that have static heads but the more expensive princess foo foo la la ponies that come with changable crowns and veils have movable heads.

my dd loves the magnetic foot too dotty. she likes getting her pony to 'pick up pennies' i finally discovered after about a year of wondering that the magnetic feet are so that the mlp can interact with mlp playsets which have magnetic buttons and things on.

cece Mon 01-Sep-08 11:44:41

We put ours in a row all hanging/sticking to the radiator.... and soemtimes the door hinges of the door.

Oliveoil Mon 01-Sep-08 11:53:16

lol at dotty2 phoning up again "hello, erm I was on earlier, I have another Q re feet...hello?...hello?...is anyone there?! <<<sound of dead phone line>>>

mine line them up on the fridge and if I dare to actually want to open the fridge door and disturb the ponies, well, WW3 ensues hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now