Talk

Advanced search

Where to get some decent wellies that will last more than 6 weeks without cracking & letting in water . . .

(33 Posts)
Takver Sat 30-Aug-08 17:53:04

that's it really - for a 6 yr old - we had a pair of 2nd hand frog wellipets that lasted forever, but then she grew out of them and I couldn't find replacements. Any suggestions for good brands? - we are on a farm so they get worn an awful lot, I don't mind paying a reasonable price if they will last. Nice patterns a bonus

MilaMae Sat 30-Aug-08 20:30:59

I have tried every single brand of welly going and the best I've found are the cheap Woolworth ones,never crack and dry out quickly if soaked inside too.I've had pairs that have lasted through 3 children with no cracks at all.

The worst I've bought are the Kiddorable ones,very expensive but cracked after a few weeks. The Brantano ones are rubbish too, take ages to dry out and the fleece inside rubbed ny dc's feet.

Ceolas Sat 30-Aug-08 20:32:07

Cheap Asda/Tesco ones. Less than a fiver.

zippitippitoes Sat 30-Aug-08 20:32:59

mine used to have plain green ones

are the more robber rather than shiny better i wonder

or try priceless shoes at least they are cheap

expatinscotland Sat 30-Aug-08 20:33:56

Matalan

expatinscotland Sat 30-Aug-08 20:34:26

I like the ones with handles on top because dyspraxic DD1 can pull them on more easily

Takver Sat 30-Aug-08 20:51:03

Will give the Woolies ones a try - I think that rubbery ones are worse than shiny - I had a pair of expensive ones I was given & they wore out quicker than anything else. Come to think of it I think dd had a pair of woolies ones a while ago, that did ok, but then she didn't seem to trash them so much when she was smaller.
Handles sounds cool, but haven't seen any like that round here . ..

zippitippitoes Sat 30-Aug-08 20:52:31

when i was little they were black and lasted forever

but your feet froze once they were too small

BloodySmartarse Sat 30-Aug-08 20:53:18

agree the plastic ones (often cheaper) are way more durable than the rubber ones. kidorable have been notably bad ime.

crocs georgie wellies are good too... normally pricey tho, but i found a pair for each of mine in a camping shop not long ago for 8 quid each. i snapped them up quick before they realised they cost about 20 quid everywhere else!

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 30-Aug-08 20:54:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zippitippitoes Sat 30-Aug-08 20:54:52

i went into a shop called joules today

just because they were advertising a vacancy

but they had loads of wellies

but it struck me rather as a style over substance store

brimfull Sat 30-Aug-08 20:54:59

god I have a garage full of wellies
cheap ones and they never wear out

want em?

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 30-Aug-08 21:01:17

Takver Sat 30-Aug-08 21:01:31

Your farm store sounds better than ours, the co-op has good cheap wellies for grown ups but the kids ones are posh, expensive & I bet they wear out. Woolies it is (minus dd so she can't hassle for the pink barbie ones).
Come to think of it I still have some paint stashed from a pair of paint-your-own-wellies she was given at Christmas (which lasted about 5 minutes before cracking), so she can put her own pretty patterns on them grin

Anna8888 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:04:08

Hunters

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 30-Aug-08 21:06:09

Crocs Georgie wellies - fantastic for kids (pic of dd in hers on my profile I think) - no seams to split, and can be cleaned in dishwasher.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 30-Aug-08 21:07:11

Anna8888 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:08:04

Hunters actually last until you grow out of them and keep feet warm.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 30-Aug-08 21:08:57

Anna8888 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:14:46

Hmm... I do worry about cold feet. I ended up buying my daughter proper leather boots last winter because she kept complaining about cold feet.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 30-Aug-08 21:19:14

Takver Sat 30-Aug-08 21:21:38

I usually get them a bit on the big side then dd can wear an extra pair of thick socks. She does have a pair of 'proper' boots for wearing for school & out, but I don't think they'd last long round the farm . . .
I've never bothered buying expensive ones for myself - I reckon I'd only end up putting a fork through them or ripping them on barb wire. I'm waiting on a pair of waterproof rigger boots through the post though - DH swears by them for anything short of standing ankle deep in water, and they have steel toecaps which can only be a good thing.

snorris Sat 30-Aug-08 21:43:01

I can thoroughly recommend Muck Boots or Just Togs do an equivalent. Definitely not cheap but I have a pair that have lasted at least 3 or 4 years and are still going strong. No leaks and lovely warm feet in the winter . They're also really comfortable to wear.

Takver Sat 30-Aug-08 21:53:53

Well, I nearly bought a pair of muck boots . . . and then a friend bought some and 2 weeks later put a fork through them (hence previous post) . . . bit pricey for 2 weeks wear!
I've got cheap dunlop wellies and a nice pair of sheepskin insoles to make them warmer.

TheDuchessOfNork Sat 30-Aug-08 22:01:28

We go from one extreme to the other, either the shiny blue wellies with red soles from Woolies that cost about 2p or Hunters that cost £783.99.

We've also had Kiddorable boots that leaked, as did the wellies from Monsoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now