Talk

Advanced search

Bikes without pedals - for LOs to learn to balance... Any info?

(17 Posts)
Word Fri 29-Aug-08 18:54:55

Wouldn't know how to start looking for them on t'internet.

What are they called, and are they any good?

TIA

iMum Fri 29-Aug-08 18:58:00

top tip from me
the only place for kids bikes

honestly, we are a family of serious cyclists and Islabikes is the way forward.

And like-a-bikes are very good, but i didnt have one with ds1 who was off stabilizers by 3, I do have one for ds2 who is 22 months.

Word Fri 29-Aug-08 19:02:20

aahh.. search MN first - balance bikes.

Thanks iMum

LackaDAISYcal Fri 29-Aug-08 19:06:32

friends of our recently bought a Specialized one for their DD, so they are becoming more mainstream and available. Not sure where they bought it though.

My BIL is just going to remove the pedals and chain from his DDs bike until she can do the balance thing and then put them back on when needed. A much cheaper option.

iMum Fri 29-Aug-08 19:11:12

The great thing about the isla bikes is that they are so light and narrow across the rear hub so there is no scraping of ankles/calves, all the parts are spec'd for little people.
but the lightness is key, whatever you go for make sure it is light!

Word Fri 29-Aug-08 19:25:47

Oh, I doubt I'll have much choice in the matter iMum! GPs are purchasing.......wink

SuperBunny Sat 30-Aug-08 00:17:51

DS has a Puky which is fab. It's light enough that you can pick it up and carry it when they get too tired to ride it anymore. Balance bikes are great!

Clary Sat 30-Aug-08 00:30:40

A friend has a Like-a-Bike (hideous name) and all her 3 DC after using it have been riding a normal bike with no stablisers before they are 4 which is pretty early IME so I guess it's a success.

PortAndLemon Sat 30-Aug-08 00:50:29

DS has a Puky too. It's great and he'll be getting a normal bike without stabilisers for his fourth birthday (he could ride one now, I'm pretty sure, but feel it should be a big occasion present).

ClareVoiant Sat 30-Aug-08 01:08:28

really recommend the rothan, islabikes are brill. just selling a rothan now, to help pay for the cnoc for ds's 3rd birthday. we bought the rothan for him for xmas, and he's now demanding pedals!

jammydodger Sat 30-Aug-08 11:34:30

Early Rider bikes (do a google) are great too - and they look ultra-cool! If you ring the number on the website you can often get seconds, slightly damaged for much cheaper (we got one for 60 quid that had a tiny little scratch on it).

MorocconOil Sat 30-Aug-08 11:53:06

DD has a Puky and loves it. She can ride her 'big girl bike' around the street with the bigger children, and feels part of the gang.

Word Sun 31-Aug-08 14:26:55

Thanks, everyone.

smile

Word Sun 31-Aug-08 14:27:17

(DS is going to get one)

EvelynsDad Sun 31-Aug-08 21:31:35

The cheapest is here. I couldn't say if it's any good, i got a Rothan from Islabikes before I found that one.

sumomum Sun 31-Aug-08 21:43:32

www.kiddimoto.co.uk/shoppage.php/template/gallery.html

Would highly recommend kiddimoto, we just bought DS one for his 3rd and he loves it.

Hulababy Sun 31-Aug-08 21:45:09

Decathlon do a balance bike nw for just £30. It is a metal one, not a wooden one.

Friend's DS has a metal balance bike. He is a little 3 year old. And he is fab on it. He scoots along, lifting his legs up balancing away as he sails past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now