Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to P&T COCOON for winter baby?

(9 Posts)
Flowermum Fri 29-Aug-08 16:35:31

Can anyone think of an alternative to the P&T Cocoon for my friend who's having a November baby and wants to keep costs down. She's pretty much decided to go with the Vibe, but without the cocoon as that makes it a lot cheaper.

But does the convenience of the cocoon outweigh the price? Would a regular swaddle fleece type thing like the Morrck not do?

I've suggested Morrck, Lodger and JJ Cole type thingys but have yet to hear her verdict on them. Meeting her tonight so would love to give her a better idea then.
Thanks!

jojo76 Fri 29-Aug-08 16:38:03

I never had one, I used to just bundle ds 2 in lots of blankets, or a cosy toes. Worked fine, I did hanker after a coocoon, but I never had a problem just using a cosy toes, it was just me wanting all the stuff thet went with the new buggy!! I think they grow out of the cocoon really fast too...

ilovemydog Fri 29-Aug-08 16:40:51

I got lots of use out of cocoon, but jojo is right. They do grow quite quickly out of them! They also get quite hot in them...

My friend just uses blankets....

Flowermum Fri 29-Aug-08 16:51:46

And is taking the baby in and out easy enough with just blankets?

I think that was basically the argument, that the baby could be taken out easily if it's asleep or whatever. They are quite small though, another friend has one but then her baby is massive anyway so not really a true representation of how pregnant friend's baby will look in it iykwim...

jojo76 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:41:16

could be tricky if in blankets taking them out, to be honest. But I think you get a knack of doing it. But with a cosy toes,if you dont put the straps through ( I didn't strap my new born in, he was pretty wedged in, and the back of the area where they lay comes up high like a carry cot anyway), it was easier to get him out. I always found he blimmin woke up just as we were turining down our road anyway.... hmm
I think you can pick up the cocoons pretty reasonably on ebay, and your friend could ebay it when she's done....

accessorizequeen Fri 29-Aug-08 21:02:48

I thought the bug in a rug I had with ds2 was absolutely brilliant, have just bought another on ebay for about £5 which is the extreme version with water resistant outer like here They're about £20 new on ebay but you often see them discounted. Excellent for moving from car to buggy etc.

littleducks Fri 29-Aug-08 22:02:03

is she using it as a double? i bought one and it got used for 12 weeks max, it was great while baby was small enough though

i happily lend mine out, is there anyone she could borrow one from

Flowermum Sat 30-Aug-08 12:37:07

She's using it as a double so won't have as much room to manouever (sp?) the baby out while the toddler seat is on the front iykwim.

Maybe then something like a cosy toes, like the Lodger might be better as she'll get a few years out of that. Would you say it's similar to the Bug in a Rug?

I think she's been offered a lend of one but would prefer to find out all the alternatives first.

accessorizequeen Sun 31-Aug-08 09:00:47

The lodger is absolutely gorgeous and more practical than a cocoon as you can move to car seat & back. Nicer than bug in a rug but more expensive too (and I would have thought warmer too, but then I had babe in a carrycot so more protected than in a p&t).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now