Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone tried the 'Jugit' milk in bag thingys from sainsburys yet?

(29 Posts)

Do they work? They look like they might be leaky but I love the idea of 75% less packaging, we get through loads of milk.

BlueberryBeret Fri 29-Aug-08 12:21:38

Oh that looks good. Does it cost 10X the price of normal milk though due to being more eco friendly? hmm

RubyRioja Fri 29-Aug-08 12:22:55

they are pants

No I don't think so, they aren't on sains website yet, couldn't check!

BlueberryBeret Fri 29-Aug-08 12:24:04

really?

pants? Why?

WELLLLL....

Smithagain Fri 29-Aug-08 12:33:37

LOL at it being an "exciting new idea". My nan used something similar in the 1970s! Haven't tried the new version.

Big plug for milk from milkman - no carrying and practically no waste. Dairycrest website tells you whether they deliver in your area and you can order online.

Don't think there is one where I live smithagain...also NEVER have any cash to pay blush

Redrun Fri 29-Aug-08 12:40:04

They are quite good if you only use a small amount of milk per day i.e cereal and tea and coffee but not it you have children. I have two children and tried it. I used one bag in one morning! They are expensive as well.
If you do fancy using doorstep delivery you can pay by debit card over the phone or send a cheque.

BlueberryBeret Fri 29-Aug-08 12:40:19

cost twice as much too

NorbertDentressangle Fri 29-Aug-08 12:44:02

smithagain -my Gran had bags of milk in the 70s too.

You're the only other person I've heard that remembers them from then

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 29-Aug-08 12:46:14

They've had this in Canada for years!

I was interested, but they don't do organic milk, and as that's what I buy for my boys I wasn't going to switch.

Are they expensive....ARGH! I hadn't noticed that.

gscrym Fri 29-Aug-08 12:56:41

I can rememeber getting a bag of milk while on holiday in Berwick in the late 70's. Not a great idea when you haven't got a jug.

fondant4000 Fri 29-Aug-08 12:58:59

We used to get bags of milk when I was a kid - and I'm not a granny, but it was the 70s blush.

You get get a jug specially designed to put the bag straight into - then you just snipped off the corner.

fondant4000 Fri 29-Aug-08 12:59:38

Sorry, typo, you could get a jug that the bag went in....

RubyRioja Fri 29-Aug-08 13:55:46

Tend to leak in transit. Split if you freeze them.

Tried them and binned (recycled rather) the flipin jug!

SqueakyPop Fri 29-Aug-08 14:26:02

We've used them - they are fine.

According to my DH, this is how Canadians have been buying milk since he was a child.

oi Fri 29-Aug-08 14:26:37

yes, this is how we had milk as kids too

PortAndLemon Fri 29-Aug-08 14:28:41

We tried the Waitrose equivalent but the milk didn't last very well (I think it wasn't homogenised, which may be why). We had to give up in the end as we were throwing out so much milk. The Sainsbury's ones may be better.

Smithagain Fri 29-Aug-08 17:12:12

Dances - if Dairycrest deliver in your area, you order and pay online. No cash required and you can adjust your order up to 9pm the night before delivery. Look at www.milk&more.co.uk I'll be honest - the milk is more expensive than supermarket, but the happy smily feeling associated with clinking bottles, nice-tasting milk and supporting a local service makes it worth it. And it's so nice not carrying the stuff home from the supermarket.

(OK will stop doing my plug now grin )

Back to the bags - were the 70s ones localised? My nan had them in the west country, but they weren't available in Scotland (where I was) as far as I know. And isn't it amazing how a little thing like that can make memories come flooding back!

Smithagain Fri 29-Aug-08 17:14:13

Sorry - make that www.milkandmore.co.uk

LastOrdersAgain Thu 23-Sep-10 23:55:26

My bag split tonight.

All over the kitchen floor.

Or to be more precise, in the bottom of the freezer, so it spewed out the door, under the fridge, in the seals, everywhere.

Not funking happy.

Will finish this batch I have and go back to bloody plastic bottles of it. angry

Marydolly Thu 04-Aug-11 11:36:27

I think this is a terrific idea. I've been using Jug it milk for 3 wks. No waste, no drips, easy bag disposal. When the bag is finished, remove and cut the top of the bag to remove the last of the milk, rinse it out and then dispose in your recycle bin. One problem!!!!! not enough suppliers yet, as I can only find it in my local Tesco store and there's not much on the shelf. I buy 4 bags at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now