Talk

Advanced search

What is the smallest(most economical to run) car that you can fit 2 car seats and an adult passenger in the back of?

(33 Posts)
EachPeachPearMum Thu 28-Aug-08 13:53:12

Please?
Am expecting DC2 in Jan. Most family outings consist of 2 parents, DC and 1GP- how do other people manage this?

Am I going to have to get a mahoosive car? sad
I don't really want to for environmental reasons, and once I'm back at work (after a year), 90% of journeys will be just me, or me and DCs commuting.

Don't think 2 cars is the answer- DH doesn't drive.

My current car is very small, and very economical (one of the cheapest to run), but would only fit DH, myself and DCs in maximum.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 28-Aug-08 15:28:32

Anyone?

caspercat Thu 28-Aug-08 15:52:26

Can't help, but watching with interest as in same position as you (except GP only occasionally!). Expecting DC2 in Feb. Current car 3 door, & as bump gets bigger am gonna have real trouble getting DD in & out!
I want a SEAT ALTEA (scrummy), but too expensive. Will prob have to have Citroen Xsara Picasso (don't feel old enough for such a sensible car [sad[), cos 2nd hand ones quite reasonable.

MrsMattie Thu 28-Aug-08 15:53:40

Will also watch with interest. We're looking to get a new car that needs to meet the same criteria..

caykon Thu 28-Aug-08 16:58:56

we have to fit that many in ours me and dh, 2 dc's in carseats and dss who is 13 so pratically the size of an adult.
We have a mitsubishi shogun at the moment but want something a little greener but still the space for everyone. We have tried quite a few (we didnt want an mpv) and the only thing we were happy with was an E class mercedes estate.

It isnt easy to find anything that fits 2 carseats and an adult in the back sad

LazyLinePainterJane Thu 28-Aug-08 17:01:41

A Focus or an Astra hatch?

allthatglitters Thu 28-Aug-08 17:07:27

What do you drive at the moment?

EachPeachPearMum Thu 28-Aug-08 17:11:56

A skoda Fabia- its very small, but nice and cheap, and low emissions smile

Won't fit 2 car seats and adult into a focus- have looked at my friends.
Nor a golf...

Anyone got a Multipla? I know they'd go in there, but they're a bit fugly unusual

allthatglitters Thu 28-Aug-08 17:17:36

CaptainDippy has a multipla and also says it is ugly unusual looking wink but really likes it.

Failing that, buy a roofbox for the GP? wink

Milliways Thu 28-Aug-08 18:25:02

I reckon you could do this with a focus - and a diesel focus is very economical. I average over 50mpg with mine (regular commuter) but on a long journey can be over 60mpg!

We got our here, so website may give you an idea of prices.

EachPeachPearMum Fri 29-Aug-08 19:02:00

Umm- Milliways- do you mean the focus S Max?
I have tried in my friend's normal focus- its a no go.
The SMax looks so huge though- size of a people carrier almost.

Yorkiegirl Fri 29-Aug-08 19:12:05

Message withdrawn

MrsDougRoss Fri 29-Aug-08 19:17:22

i have a scenic. which works fine.

Weegle Fri 29-Aug-08 19:20:46

If you like the Fabia have you tried an Octavia. We can fit two car seats and a slim adult - once it is a booster it will be less of a squash. We have the estate. Love it.

Kbear Fri 29-Aug-08 19:24:30

Another vote of the Scenic - back seats recline for kids to sleep on long journeys, back seats go forward to create bigger boot, or back to create more leg room, come out altogether to create a mini-van. Economical (mine's a diesel). Three independent seats with proper seat belts - you can take out the middle one altogether if you want, move the outer two in slightly away from the doors.

EachPeachPearMum Fri 29-Aug-08 19:37:50

Octavia is really big! And we won't be using booster seats for about another 5 years...

Scenic seems huge to me- My friend helped me move a double bed in his once.

CarGirl Fri 29-Aug-08 19:40:11

If you put the stage 1 car seat in the middle of the car then there is more room next to it for the adult IYSWIM

EachPeachPearMum Fri 29-Aug-08 19:41:01

Think I will be buying 'What Car' magazine tomorrow! [boring over-analyser emoticon]

herbietea Fri 29-Aug-08 19:46:23

Message withdrawn

nannynick Fri 29-Aug-08 20:06:06

I would second the suggestion of looking at the Citroen Picasso, as that is a little bigger than my Citroen C3.
My Citroen C3 1.4 HDi is often configured with 2 car seats in the rear, with middle seat space remaining. However, space is rather limited to say the least... a 9 year old child fits... not sure an adult would be very comfortable. I'm currently getting around 500 miles per 40 litres of diesel.
So I would say, look at something a bit wider the C3, thus the Citron C4/Picasso.

EachPeachPearMum Fri 29-Aug-08 20:10:23

Do you know what the difference is between Xsara Picasso and C4 Picasso??

nannynick Fri 29-Aug-08 20:25:41

Alas no. Looking at the Citroen UK website technical specs, it seems as though the following are different:

There are more engine choices on the C4, and the engines are a little bit bigger.

Comparing the same engine sizes... the C4 is physically heavier.

The Xara has more boot space.

There must be other differences as well... so a great question to ask a Citroen Dealer.

EachPeachPearMum Fri 29-Aug-08 20:29:03

grin Yes- I have a feeling I'm going to be trawling around forecourts- bliss! (not)

nannynick Fri 29-Aug-08 20:48:24

I hate car buying... and maintenance, etc. So I am dreading needing to shop for my next car (current C3 is coming up for 100,000 miles, the dealer sends me regular mailings suggesting new cars!).

Going local can be a good option - if you won't be servicing it yourself. My mum choose her car based on which dealer was the closest (choose the one a 3 min walk from her home) and then whatever car they had that she liked the look of, and within budget. Hmm... not sure that's a great way of choosing a car.

elmoandella Fri 29-Aug-08 21:03:16

207 hdi,

i have one. it costs me £30 to tax for whole year (i think, not entirely 100%, i know it's somewhere inn that region)

and it runs on fresh air instead of diesel. ok . . so it's not that economical. but it does do ALOT of miles to gallon.

in the back i can fit comfortably 3 car seat or 2car seat & 1 adult
or 2 adults & 1 car seat.

do it all the time. but i must admit, the trick is to pick you car seats correctly also.some have really huge bases that take up too much room.

i have in the back of mine either concorde/maxi priori/ferrari high back booster & infant carrier, in any combination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now