Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

family estate car - what should we buy???

(19 Posts)
lesleyella Thu 28-Aug-08 11:36:57

We need a family car that is cheap to run, reliable and has enough space for baby clobber etc. Planning to get new rather than second hand.

We are thinking Ford Focus Estate but other options inlcude Golf, Astra, Peugeot 308 ... any advice on which is the best option.

MuffinMclay Thu 28-Aug-08 13:10:43

What's your budget?

We have a new Subaru Legacy estate (diesel)and are really happy with it so far. Good acceleration and handling. 45mpg (although we don't do much urban driving).

PigeonPie Thu 28-Aug-08 13:22:33

I've got a 307 estate and if I could afford a 308 I'd have one tomorrow! The doors open much wider on this than the Focus that my Ma has and I can fit all the clobber in easily - I would recommend getting a dog guard though to keep it all in the boot.

JonesTheSteam Thu 28-Aug-08 13:25:01

Can second Muffin's Subaru Legacy estate - DH has had one since May - it's really good.

Slubberdegullion Thu 28-Aug-08 13:26:02

We have a Mazda 6 estate. Very economical, hasn't broken once in the 4 years we have owned it.

LittleMissNorty Thu 28-Aug-08 13:27:23

We have Renault Laguna estate diesel and are very happy with it - get 600 miles to a tank of fuel.

amazonianwoman Thu 28-Aug-08 13:55:00

VW Passat estate. Loads of room, diesel relatively economic to run, holds value very well, very reliable.

dustyteddy Thu 28-Aug-08 14:01:23

We are looking at skoda octavia estate. Cheap to buy and run and loads of space for all the children's paraphernalia.

CountessDracula Thu 28-Aug-08 14:04:41

Third the Subaru

Also I read the other day that there is a new citreon coming out that is brilliant (i know it sounds unlikely)

forevared Thu 28-Aug-08 14:11:07

I second the Mazda 6. we haven't got the estate version as the hatchback's boot is only 5 litres less than the estate. I can fit shedloads in there, including a weeks holiday stuff including a large 3 wheeler buggy without resorting to roof top boxes.
About 600 miles to a full tank. Beautiful to drive. Feels very safe.

we bought ours just a few months old, saved ourselves about £5000 and haven't had a moment's trouble.

octavia Thu 28-Aug-08 14:59:50

The octavia is very reliable, cheap to run BUT it does not have a lot of leg room in the back as the boot is huge.We are finding this a problem now our son is getting older and longer!

LazyLinePainterJane Thu 28-Aug-08 15:30:27

The new ford focus econetic diesel does 62mpg, estate version included.

CaptainKarvol Thu 28-Aug-08 15:53:06

Love our Skoda Octavia, but DS only 2.6, so not struggled with leg room yet!

BigGitDad Thu 28-Aug-08 15:58:00

Have a llok at honest john at the telegraph motoring section he is brilliant.
honest john

MummyToOneForNow Thu 28-Aug-08 16:06:53

We're very pleased with our Ford Focus Estate. Excellent fuel economy and unusually it is narrow enough to fit into a standard garage (most family cars don't). Lots more boot space than the Golf which was another option for us. Doesn't feel overly big to drive either.

EvelynsDad Thu 28-Aug-08 16:20:40

The newer Octavias (mark 2 from around 2004 IIRC) are supposed to have more leg room in the back.

lesleyella Thu 28-Aug-08 21:54:25

Thank you all. Will check out the Subaru option. HAd not thought of that. Our budget is as little as possible without ending up paying a high price later on, if you see what I mean. At the moment we have an Alfa 147 that is very cute but completely inpractical and costs a fortune to run.

MrLSG Thu 28-Aug-08 23:00:17

Have a look at the Seat Altea XL. Basically a Golf but taller and much longer (gives plenty of boot room and lots of legroom) - and without the VW price premium. Diesels give 45-50mpg.

Whatever you get, don't buy brand new unless you've money to burn: buy from a car supermarket and save yourself a few thousand quid.

MrLSG Thu 28-Aug-08 23:00:17

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now