Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice re shoes!

(15 Posts)
jessicasmummy Fri 18-Feb-05 16:42:24

is it worth buying the little crawler shoes you can get in clarkes??? they do little crawling ones, ones for when they pull themselves up and are toddling about furniture and then proper walking ones.... jess isnt quite crawling yet but was wondering if its just a waste of money and to wait til she is walking properly??? Advice appreciated!

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Fri 18-Feb-05 16:44:14

I bought dd some and thought they were really sweet. I am sure they are safe but I still think the fabric ones are just as good.

Twiglett Fri 18-Feb-05 16:44:14

not worth it ... bare feet best

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 18-Feb-05 16:46:37

I think it depends on your own circumstances, like alot of people who have wooden or tiled floors like to have them where as I bought them because I liked them!

Twigs advice is the best though if you can.

80sMum Fri 18-Feb-05 16:47:02

I've always felt it's better for little ones to have bare feet for as long as possible. Wouldn't buy shoes till you have to (ie till she's a confident walker and needs to walk around outdoors).

jane313 Fri 18-Feb-05 16:47:08

I would say they were a waste of money. I first bought shoes when my son was cruising/walking with help and I got fed up of going to the park and his socks or feet getting soaked/grass stained.

Also I didn't want to possibly damage his feet. I kept him bare footed indoors and had a snow suit outdoors. Also the gap between crawling and walking could be several months so you would need loads of thsoe shoes as they grow quickly at that age.

jessicasmummy Fri 18-Feb-05 16:50:35

thanks people.... i do like the look of them because they are very cute, but i just wasnt sure if it was worth forking out the money. maybe i should leave shoes until she is properly walking....

Gobbledigook Fri 18-Feb-05 16:51:40

I'm all for bare feet but I did get them for going out just to keep his feet warm because otherwise he just pulled his socks on. Otherwise, no, he didn't wear them so you could probably just get away with some fabric bootees if you just want them for out in the buggy. You don't need them for her walking.

tarantula Fri 18-Feb-05 16:52:18

Save your money till you need to buy shoes. they are so expensive anyway and grow out of them so quickly that I dont think its worth it. DD wore bootees till she could walk properly, We had tiled floors so got her bootees with nonslip bits on the bottom for when she was cruising much cheaper than shoes and kept her feet warm.

janeybops Fri 18-Feb-05 16:58:29

I never bothered with these. Seemed expensive and I always felt bare feet were best. Bought them their first shoes once they were walking and steadyish on their feet.

Davros Fri 18-Feb-05 17:31:07

We've done this before and I posted my BIL's wisdom on these and the bobux-type ones. BIL and SIL owned and ran a children's shoe shop for some 30 years and they HATE these things and think they damage little, developing feet which have very soft bones. Just passing on the info, don't abuse me!

starlover Fri 18-Feb-05 19:47:22

i would say, don't bother. i actually work for clarks, so I shouldn't really say that.
But to be honest there is no advantage to her wearing them, other than that they look cute and can protect the feet if you have hard floors or whatever. crawling shoes are only £14/£16, but she will probably only be in them for around 3 months, if that.
They will not harm the feet, as they will be fitted properly, but as others have already pointed out, you are better to leave her with nothing on her feet for as long as possible. This allows the feet to develop naturally.
Having said all this, it is sometimes worth getting your child used to having SOMETHING on their feet, as we often have kids in the shop for first shoes who just cry and cry, because they just aren't used to having things on their feet. And to go straight into first walking shoes can be a bit of a shock, because no matter how well fitted they are, and how soft the leather is, they will still feel a little restrictive compared to bare feet!
Fabric shoes are just as good, just make sure she has plenty of room in them as babies' feet are very easily damaged.

hercules Fri 18-Feb-05 19:54:15

No, dont. Wait until she's been walking for a while and wants to walk outside.

Hulababy Sat 19-Feb-05 17:06:08

We did have pre-walkers as DD was cruising pretty early on - and she wanted to be doing so outside. She never wore them in the house, but she did wear them when we went out - as I knew at some point she would want to be on her feet. So she had pre-walkers from about 5-6 months.

Lonelymum Sat 19-Feb-05 17:16:07

I bought some for dd but only because when she was walking, her feet were still so small they weren't many proper shoes to fit her IYSWIM. If it is just for crawling around, don't bother with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now