Talk

Advanced search

little laptop type thing for a 3 year old. any suggestions?

(15 Posts)

DS will be 3 next month, he loves playing on the PC which obviously eats in to my MN time wink so we though we'd get him a little toy laptop. he knows his numbers and some letters so we want something that will help him with that but will be fun for him (ie keep him out of my hair for more than 5 minutes!!)

what do your DCs have? would you recommend one?

Minkus Wed 27-Aug-08 10:22:55

My mum bought one for ds1 (3.7) when ds2 arrived. It's a chad valley one from Woolies and is great, has lots of different "learning" games that he is really interested in. There are a few games which are a bit too advanced for him yet but he still likes the sounds they make and to me this just means it's got some good mileage yet! The games could be a bit old for your lo but the sounds/lights etc will keep him occupied until he's old enough to play them! Good luck in getting your laptop back

bubblagirl Wed 27-Aug-08 10:24:23

my ds has the thomas laptop although he prefers ours

but it teaches letter sounds has lots of games on it music maker has a little mouse they can use letter search it kept him occupied for ages

but he prefers ours now as thats just how his mind works but thomas laptop was a godsend

here

QuintessentialShadow Wed 27-Aug-08 10:26:10

DS2 (3) has a little V tech laptop. He plays for it for 5 minutes every couple of weeks. He rather play with his older brothers nintendo or visit the cbeebies or nick junior website and play the games there. The toy laptop has not really tempted him away from the pc at all.

bubblagirl Wed 27-Aug-08 10:40:30

must admit its just not as fun as pc as picture graphic is boring and not as challenging for my ds it worked well when he first got it but soon wanted comp back

oh bugger.

mayeb not such a great idea after all. thanks for the heads up!

we were in ELC yesterday and he played with the Vtech one for ages. and it's only £20 so not a big loss if he hates it.

might look into those ones that hook up to the TV. or as DH says - might just buy a Wii!!

Oblomov Wed 27-Aug-08 13:04:07

I do think they are a good idea. But many are too basic. Not sure which one is the best. But don't give up on the IDEA. My sil works with children , many have learning difficulties. And they HIGHLY recommend laptops and actual computer usage for 3-5 year olds.
I am not sure it is recommended by EVERY educational organisation. But many certainly do.

i think the screen is a big part of the problem. just big pixely grey blobs. no colour. no fun.

will keep looking though. it's good to have a quest!

pigleto Wed 27-Aug-08 13:13:32

dd loves her leapster, she plays on it for hours. Her favorite game is Mr Pencil learn to draw and write. Try ebay for second hand ones and don't pay more than £10.

pigleto Wed 27-Aug-08 13:13:56

she is three next month

bubblagirl Wed 27-Aug-08 14:16:14

ooh my ds is 3.3 and a computer nut v tech smile keeps him amused for ages as great graphics etc and great games that really test his brain

bubblagirl Wed 27-Aug-08 14:17:45

v tech smailes are going so sheap on e bay and with games too must say havent lost so far with this ds loves to play it even managed to get him a v tech pocket for when we go away as he stays amused for ages with it best one so far

bubblagirl Wed 27-Aug-08 14:18:11

cheap lol my spelling is rubbish today im not feeling well

thank you for all suggestions!
am looking into the vtech pcoket but it says ages 5 - 9.
is that just erring on the side of caution or is it really more suitable for older tots. (i don't want screams of 'mommy! i need help!' every 5 mintues!)

bubblagirl Sat 30-Aug-08 09:58:09

no v tech smile is age 3 thats the console v ytech pocket is hand held and my ds is 3.3 and he can do it but the console is what he had first which is easier same games work in pocket just great for when away from home and need entertainment but ds had console from 2 half

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now