Talk

Advanced search

VW Beetle and double buggy - please don't laugh ....

(25 Posts)
babypringle Tue 26-Aug-08 20:55:31

I have a much loved VW Beetle but I'm pregnant and have a 2 year old DS. Does anyone know of a double buggy that will fit in the extremely tiny and odd shaped boot? And no, I am not swopping my bug for a ford focus shock, so please don't suggest it! Really hoping that someone out there will have a solution ...

sweetkitty Tue 26-Aug-08 20:59:31

Don't know about a Beetle but I have had a Mamas and Papas Twin Aria and a Graco Tandem in the boot of a Clio.

I now have a Phil and Teds Sport and reckon it would fit in a small boot.

Find some buggies you like and get the dimensions then go measure your boot.

thisisyesterday Tue 26-Aug-08 21:01:07

no. I had to sell mine and I am still bitter about it.

but, I reckon I am going to get a bus instead because I can fit loads of babies in there, so could you upgrade instead??

CarGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 21:02:29

use a sling for the baby

or get a tug or a strolli for your DS?

The tug is so cool!

babypringle Tue 26-Aug-08 21:05:58

i refuse to sell the beetle. put up with numerous shop assistants laughing when we asked to try single buggies in the boot, but in the end we found several that will fit (quinny speedi, zapp and buzz, loola, m&p luna). I'm fairly sure from the dimensions that the m&p twin aria will not fit (has to be under 90cm in length). I am wondering about phil and teds sport - the dimensions sound ok so fingers crossed. Surely I can be the only person on mumsnet with a bug and in need of a double buggy????

thisisyesterday Tue 26-Aug-08 21:06:59

yeah but a lovely splittie? it's an ok trade-in on a beetle I reckon. would love one.

is your bug the one with the longer bonnet or short one?

babypringle Tue 26-Aug-08 21:07:08

sorry cargirl, what's a tug? i'm a bit nervous about the sling option cos I did my back in carrying DS in one and that was without pushing a buggy as well ...

babypringle Tue 26-Aug-08 21:08:18

thisis ... it's a new one (well five years old). would love an old one but maybe when the kids are older ...

CarGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 21:09:44

How old will your ds be when the baby is born, will you really need a double? From around 2.5 a buggy board or seat to go should suffice.

Have you seen the tug?

thisisyesterday Tue 26-Aug-08 21:11:54

oh well in that case just get a different car.
pah @ new beetles. wink

CarGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 21:13:40

www.thetug.co.uk/the_tug.html

scroll down for photos of it attached to the back of a pushchair

Aarrgghh Tue 26-Aug-08 21:13:45

tug

CarGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 21:15:18

on more photos link you can see how tiny it folds up.

babypringle Tue 26-Aug-08 21:17:24

just googled the tug and it looks fun. DS will be 2.7 but I think we will need a double cos I tend to walk long distances around town, e.g. shops and back are approx 3.5 miles round trip which i think will be too much for his little legs. especcially if I want to get anywhere fast. So if we buy a double for that, it would be perfect if we could find one that goes in my car for trips out. My mum is in a wheelchair, so a double that folds up really small would be great cos her wheelchair takes up most of my DH's car boot already. also even if we did get a buggy board / seat I suspect we will have to buy a whole new buggy because I think our current buggy will be too flimsy to use with a buggy board. Has anyone tried the seats that look like a bike?

thisisyesterday Tue 26-Aug-08 21:17:41

that tug thing is pretty cool! I'd want one if I didn't already have too many buggies

ladyjogsalot Tue 26-Aug-08 21:19:17

wow! can't believe i found this thread!
just been looking for one to fit in my yaris

BloodySmartarse Tue 26-Aug-08 21:21:09

have you looked at the we2combi? it folds flat (like a twin aria) but then folds round on itself too and ends up kinda golf bag shaped/sized.

babypringle Tue 26-Aug-08 21:22:27

thanks for the links cargirl. do you have a tug? if so what buggy do you attach it to?

babypringle Tue 26-Aug-08 21:24:50

thanks BSA,I'll try to find a local stockist to try it out in the car

CarGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 21:26:08

I don't have a tug, and sadly we are stopping at the 4 we have but am a pushchair freak so always have an interest in this sort of thing!

What about getting a mountain buggy breeze, very sturdy and small. Also bear in mind when you have a young baby and toddler you tend to cut back on the long trips for quite a while and then he will be older and able to walk more.

CarGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 21:36:54

The breeze apparantly folds to 99cm x 57 so too long?

BloodySmartarse Tue 26-Aug-08 21:42:01

ergo or similar for the baby?

i found 'normal' slings incredibly painful, and all the earthy wrap-around-300-times ones too bloody complicated.

but ergo-a-likes (ergos and various others designed w same principles) are amazingly comfy. i carried my 4yo about in it for about an hour the other day ! shock

CarGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 21:49:44

pedigree life with toddler seat?
cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pedigree-Easylife-mountain-terrain-buggy-Toddler-Seat_W0QQitemZ220271895963QQcmdZView Item?hash=item220271895963&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286 .c0.m14

folded dimensions sound quite small

sazm Wed 27-Aug-08 22:42:22

hiya, i've got an mgzr and my 3rd is on the way,andd i am NOT trading it in for a bus lol,
ive bought a phil and teds, and its great, i would def recommend it and it folds down small(i have to take the wheels off to get it in properly)

shanks313 Wed 27-Aug-08 22:45:24

We had the same problem but in a Corsa boot.

The only double we could find to fit was the twin triumph.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now