Talk

Advanced search

Car Seat dilemma! When to move my giant baby from group 0 to group 1

(42 Posts)
forevared Tue 26-Aug-08 20:23:43

DS2 is currently in a group 0 car seat and although he still fits it, when he falls asleep his head drops forward onto his chest and I worry about his breathing. It's non reclinable so I can't do anything about it, but I don't want to have to buy a new group 0 seat at stupid prices.

I can cope with short journeys but we have a trip to Devon coming up in a month's time at which point he'll be 6 months old. It's a 5 hour journey which we intend to break up halfway but still worried as he's likely to sleep for long periods during the drive.

His brother (currently in a group 1 reclinable seat) is about to move up to a group 2 anytime now aswell so my dilemma is: Do I buy a group 2 car seat for ds1 and transfer ds2 into his old group 1 seat even though it's forward facing and he'll only be 6 months. He does weigh well over the 9kg minimum weight but concerned about the safety aspect as the guidelines for group 1 are 9-18kg (which apparantly mean 9 months plus)

Is he too young despite his size for a group 1, and am I worrying over nothing about his head flopping forward?
Should I stick with the rear facing group 0 until he's 9 months?
Any advice or suggestions gratefully received!

WilfSell Tue 26-Aug-08 20:29:51

Our big boys have had forward facing carseats from around 6-7 months for the same reasons as you. It is really difficult when you have a big un but you have little choice if their weight is up there I think. If he can sit and hold his head up well think you'll be OK; if not, I'd wait a while longer...

crokky Tue 26-Aug-08 20:31:59

Britax do a combination seat (group 0+ and group 1), I am going to get that for my DD. (Amazon - grown out of infant carrier at 5m!)

differentID Tue 26-Aug-08 20:32:46

He is too young for a forward facing car seat even though he is at the minimum weight to go forward facing. When he is forward facing imagine the forces that would act upon him in an accident- he doesn't yet have anywhere near enough muscle strength to withstand an accident. Rear facing his head neck adn spine are held in alignment and supported during an accident. Please keep him rear facing until he reaches the maximum weight allowed for the car seat.

AccidentalMum Tue 26-Aug-08 20:32:52

Hi. I've read on lots of the extended rear facing threads that 15mths is the magic age when forward facing becomes less risky. I have always used 0-4yrs because of this. Would you find having 2 useful? Therefore worth investing in one of these?

crokky Tue 26-Aug-08 20:33:54

Baically it#'s the size of a group 1 so fits big baby, but you can put it rear facing or forward facing. Rear facing til 9 monts then forward facing if you liek.

AccidentalMum Tue 26-Aug-08 20:34:09

Oh, also remembered...rear facing ones tilt baby forwrd because of the seat angle. You can pad the front underneath of the seat with a rolled up towel to help level the seat IYSWIM.

crokky Tue 26-Aug-08 20:34:38

Yes, v dangerous for babyu under 9m to face forwards due to muscle maturity etc regardless of weight, height etc.

forevared Tue 26-Aug-08 20:36:46

Hi differentID, would that be true even with his head slumping forward? The group 1 seat I have is reclinable to a far greater degree than the current group 0 seat he's in. In fact he's practically bolt upright at the moment which is why his head keeps flopping forward.

crokky Tue 26-Aug-08 20:37:01

this:

www.britax.co.uk/index.php?option=com_britax&task=showproduct&id=26&groupid=6&Itemid=31

or this:

www.britax.co.uk/index.php?option=com_britax&task=showproduct&id=7&groupid=6&Itemid=31

yousaidit Tue 26-Aug-08 20:37:05

We've got a Britax First Class SI which looks like a Group 1 but can be used rear facing as a Group 0 (ie the first car seats) to use as a Group 0 you put it in full recline facing rear with the foam wedgy thing and if necc newborn insert so your ds will have a good solid surrounding car seat and you can use it dforward facing then for his Group 1: would def recommend it, checjk on internet on sites like Kiddicare etc to get reduced prices as they can differ from about £80 thereabouts to £140 -ish: canny shopping doesn't hurt anyone! (and youcan always pop ito mothercare to try one out, say you're not sure then if you like it buy one ff an internet shop having tried before you buyed!!!!)

fymandbean Tue 26-Aug-08 20:37:59

I'm sure you go on the weight NOT the age...I move my DS up when he was 6 months and am about to have the same dilemma with the next seat

I'd go for this seat as you will have to move him into the next one well before he's 4 otherwise (am close to upgrading ds and he's 2.8, 'rules' are 4 years or 40lbs...)

crokky Tue 26-Aug-08 20:38:33

forevared - the head flopping was a prob for me as well. Get the britax tried in your car and see if you think head would flop in that when it's rear facing.

differentID Tue 26-Aug-08 20:41:42

yes. Imagine you are in a car accident. what is the most common injury? Whiplash where the head and neck are snapped back and forward quickly. If you are rear facing, you have something cushioning your head, neck and spine in the initial impact so the movement is less, therefore reducing injuries. I believe I read somewhere that in an accident the g-force increases the weight of an object by up to 25x normal

differentID Tue 26-Aug-08 20:43:33

Weight is going to be the primary reason to change car seats but age and muscular development are nearly as important.

Clayhead Tue 26-Aug-08 20:44:05

It's weight AND age, for the reasons explained to do with development of the neck.

forevared Tue 26-Aug-08 20:47:44

Great advice re the combination car seat ideas. Problem is I like to use Isofix as it's meant to be so much safer and Britax don't do a combination one. The group 0 seat he's in at the moment is a Britax cosy tot premium, so it would have been ideal if they sold a combination one.

Might just have to find a combination seat by another brand.

RedHead81 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:49:30

I always thought for forward facing they have to be the weight specified and be able to sit unsupported (something about the way their bodies react in the event of an accident.) Before they can sit unsupported their heads aren't as safe when being thrown forward as they are if just going backwards into the support of the seat, IYKWIM.

Thats my understanding of it anyway, I could be wrong though.

Rolled up towel etc... is a great idea to stop the seat being so upright - well said AccidentalMum

differentID Tue 26-Aug-08 20:49:58

You can't yet get combination isofix seats. If the car seat is fitted properly, then seatbelts are as safe as isofix.

forevared Tue 26-Aug-08 20:50:12

Thanks, makes sense about the whole whiplash injury scenario. I'll look into a combination car seat instead then.
Anyone want to buy a group 1 car seat? LOL!

RedHead81 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:52:35

sorry, think i X posted with everyone there!
(or maybe just didn't read everyones first - thought i did though! lol)

yousaidit Tue 26-Aug-08 20:53:05

I agree Crokky!!! I'm looking at the car seat now (gotr one for dc on the way) and it's sat on top f fridge (!) in full recline with all bits in. It does look a bit of a bruiser of a car seat, not one a dc should be able to scramble out of in a hurry!

forevared Tue 26-Aug-08 20:53:37

Thanks everyone, fantastic advice from you all!

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 20:53:44

Most group 0 are to 13kgs so he is within guidelines for staying in it, what about a support cushion also available as a grey monkey.

RedHead81 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:55:49

I'm sure the support cushion will only push a baby's head further forward - better for older children maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now