Talk

Advanced search

Which bottles for expressing milk?

(17 Posts)
firsttimer08 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:09:58

Any advice on what bottles I should buy? There are so many brands, but I'm not sure if there really is any difference - is there?

I remember seeing family in the US using bottles which had sterilised bottle liners and they used to be very convenient.

Do we get those here?

fluffyanimal Tue 26-Aug-08 20:14:05

I used the Avent Isis pump, which fits any Avent bottle and beaker - very widely available brand with lots of different accessories / combinations.

I think you'd need a steriliser, not just bottle liners, as you'd need to sterilise the teats too.

GordonTheGopher Tue 26-Aug-08 20:15:00

You don't need to sterilise with bm.

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 20:15:14

What pump have you got FirstTimer08?

firsttimer08 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:16:49

I was planning to get the Medela. Does it only fit specific types of bottles? Sorry i really am a first-timer and don't know too much yet. Baby due in 8 weeks, so hoping to get up to speed fast enough till then !

firsttimer08 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:18:15

On the steriliser, I was planning to get the philips avent one (there was some deal on it at Boots), but then I read that a steriliser is not really needed as long as we wash everything with hot water and soap. Would you agree?

fluffyanimal Tue 26-Aug-08 20:19:19

I would hazard a guess that any pump will only guarantee to fit bottles made by the same brand.

AccidentalMum Tue 26-Aug-08 20:36:40

I kept expressed milk in old glass jars!

amidaiwish Tue 26-Aug-08 22:29:41

lansinoh should work ok? i think they tend to be fairly universal... couldn't say for definite though. Am sure Medela will also do their own version.

I always used these liners in an Avent bottle with my Avent breast pump.

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 22:48:02

Ok, with Medela standard neck bottles fit boots own and i don't tend to sterilise much but this is cheap yes hot soapy water is fine, i like these sponge brushes for bottles and 1 for teats as no missed areas.

saltcod Tue 26-Aug-08 23:12:01

don't buy too much Medela stuff in case you don't get on with the Medela pump! I tried it, hated it, so went back to my trusted avent isis pump! I used the Avent Via cups/lids for expressed milk, rather than the medela ones... had 1/2 a freezer full at one stage shock. Also tried the medela bags & these were good, but worked out more expensive overall.

I didn't sterilise either - dishwasher all the way!

amidaiwish Wed 27-Aug-08 08:05:38

MatNanPlus, i had that steriliser - was really good. I don't understand why anyone would pay £60 for the Avent IQ!

MrsJamin Wed 27-Aug-08 08:30:54

again, surprisingly I agree with GTG (my sister!) - you don't need to sterilise with BM so don't waste your money on a steriliser - the dishwasher or hot water and washing up liquid are fine.

Dr Brown's bottles are fab, DS would not take closer to nature but would take Dr Browns bottles, you can get them from Boots.

firsttimer08 Wed 27-Aug-08 08:33:37

thanks guys.
That's good advice, i'll buy a couple of bottles for now and then see how i get along.

but i guess even if i have the medela ones for storing the milk, for feeding the baby i could use different bottles and teats.

what about the flow of the milk - apparantly some bottles are better as they mimic the breasts more. I read an old thread on MN about tommee tipee and avent being good ones to use?

MatNanPlus Wed 27-Aug-08 10:16:58

You can feed using the Medela bottles, just buy a pack of teats clear/silicon are best IMO also ToysRus do Medela bottles.

AnnVan Wed 27-Aug-08 10:36:53

Firsttimer - I'm also prg with first, and started a thread almost exactly like this a few days ago. The Tommee Tippee ones are the ones I am now going to get (following advice) as they are supposed to be better for a bf baby. One lady suggested Doctor Browns as good as well. Can't give advice myself obviously as I'm new to all this.

MatNanPlus Wed 27-Aug-08 16:18:41

AV i tried the TT Closer 2 nature with breast twins, he was ok, she collaosed the teat as too soft for her, she had boots own version of Dr B.

Just get 1 or 2 bottles till you know if baby will take to themis my advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now