Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wedding gift lists - where?

(23 Posts)
lunavix Fri 18-Feb-05 10:51:15

Whilst I'd be happy with people giving us whatever they wanted, dp would quite like to set up a gift list (I think it's so I can shop without spending his money!)

We did think House of Frase (well I thought argos but apparently that's too chav for him) but after a phonecall with the worlds SNOBBIEST woman I've discovered apparently they don't do them anymore.

I don't think debenhams or Jon Lewis is really us... but is there anywhere else? What did everyone else do?

zubb Fri 18-Feb-05 11:25:13

Suprised H of F don't do them anymore. Can't think of any others at the moment - but bumping this up for you.

Rowlers Fri 18-Feb-05 11:41:58

Marks and Spencer?
I wouldn't advise Allders at the moment ......

jbadgirl Fri 18-Feb-05 11:43:11

Just a long shot but next?

NameChangingMancMidlander Fri 18-Feb-05 11:44:19

We did John Lewis and they were great. Quite a wide selection of things both style & cost wise.

This is a cool service from Wrapit

NameChangingMancMidlander Fri 18-Feb-05 11:45:47

Habitat do them too.

NameChangingMancMidlander Fri 18-Feb-05 11:47:19

Another offering

csa Fri 18-Feb-05 12:42:16

debenhams do them too.

CountessDracula Fri 18-Feb-05 12:45:45

You should consider JL, they have a good selection of stuff.

MarsLady Fri 18-Feb-05 13:29:33

John Lewis every time. They have such a good range of products, all price ranges and they have very posh to not so posh, but very practical. They are helpful and the website is easy to use. We've bought lots of wedding presents via them. I'm with your DP about Argos.

lunavix Fri 18-Feb-05 14:11:55

But in Argos you can get a dyson for half the price of John Lewis and my one is on it's way out if it's cheaper I have more chance of convincing someone to get it for me

I think we are leaning more towards John Lewis, although I do like the idea of Habitat (posh Ikea!!)
I did see the wrapit place, but as quite a few of dp's family are elderly I think that would be difficult for them.. I did want to either let them do their own thing, or do the whole gift vouchers towards a holiday thing, but when MIL went round some family members a few weeks ago who were invited to another wedding, they were ENRAGED at the cheek of the couple to ask for donations towards a holiday! Not in their day!

Next don't do them, I don't think M&S do either, but I'd rather go somewhere with a bit more choice...

NameChangingMancMidlander Fri 18-Feb-05 14:13:05

m&s do wedding lists.

lunavix Fri 18-Feb-05 14:14:35

Really?

I went into the one in Uxbridge the other day and was told they don't. Maybe they meant that store...

shortcake Fri 18-Feb-05 14:17:20

Friends of ours have opened a wedding gift thing with world hoppers and so we can give money towards the cost of their honey moon. WE just rang up and paid by credit card and added a few words to their gift book which world hoppers give them nearer the time.

anchovies Fri 18-Feb-05 14:18:09

We did John Lewis and they were really good, customer service was fab and they dont charge for delivery unlike most of the others. Wouldn't recommend wrapit or m&s, a million horror stories about them on confetti and hitched.

Carameli Sat 19-Feb-05 14:59:57

we did both John lewis and M&S. With the John lewis one we went up one day to the Oxford Street branch and just went around and had great fun choosing what we thought would be good. Its a great store as it goes from lovely waterford crystal to kitchen scales and chopping boards. I also think that their bed linen is the best.

M&S also have lovely things but I think we ended up just going for a few things and then vouchers from their.

THe john lewis staff were much more helpful than M&S though. Sorry if someone here works for M&S but thats just my experience.

Tinker Sat 19-Feb-05 15:28:28

I've used John Lewis for other people and it's been great. Just get the couple's account number on the website and pick the present you can afford. They gift wrap it and send it - sooo easy.

And IKEA own Habitat. Personally think Habitat furniture is crap - how they have the nerve to sell the falling apart settees for anything more than a fiver is beyond me. But the bits and pieces are nice.

Tommy Sat 19-Feb-05 15:54:50

We had Debenhams and, although they don't have such a good choice as JL, we really like the dinner service we got! A lot of people did it all online, theyd elivered to our house and gave us 5% of the total in vouchers afterwards so we could get anything we missed.

helsi Sat 19-Feb-05 16:27:11

Debenhams
Marks & Spencer
Argos

Lonelymum Sat 19-Feb-05 16:47:03

In what way is John Lewis not really you? I can't imagine. I am in ecstacy at the prospect of soon living near it again after a five year enforced separation. They did our wedding list and were fine.

WestCountryLass Sat 19-Feb-05 21:48:17

John Lewis is my favourite shop [paranoid]

PiccadillyCircus Sat 19-Feb-05 21:56:00

I like John Lewis .

HunkerMunker Sat 19-Feb-05 21:57:16

We had ours at Debenhams. And got a gold card too, so can use the gold card lounge now to nurse DS (which draws looks from the twinset and pearls brigade who think I'm obviously too much of a hippy to have a gold card - can't wait to be challenged by one of them one day ).

They had a good selection of nice things, the list was accessible in-store, online and over the phone, the staff were friendly and we received £5% of what people had spent on the list as vouchers too. This was in 2001, the other department stores may have caught up since, but with John Lewis at the time, you had to go to the store or ring it direct, there was no online service. And M&S didn't have very nice things at the time. And there aren't really any other department stores near us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now