Talk

Advanced search

If you were going to buy one electronic handheld thing for your dc, would it be a Nintendo DS, a Gameboy, or something else?

(26 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 25-Aug-08 15:46:16

Thinking ahead to Christmas, and have decided that perhaps it is time to get a handheld electronic game for dd (who will be almost 8). Not considering a Wii, as dd is an only and also want something portable that can be taken on long car/airplane journeys.

So, what is better a Nintendo DS (or a DS Lite?), or a Gameboy? I know nothing about any of them, so would also be grateful if you could tell me exactly which supporting bits&bobs would be needed too.

cocolepew Mon 25-Aug-08 15:49:34

Don't get a Gameboy, the games are inpossible to get now, I think they are being phased out. I've bought a DS for mine.

NigellaTheOriginal Mon 25-Aug-08 15:50:36

gamenboys a bit obselete now. DS is what we have. another option would be PSP i think.
DS is really good. keeps them amused for ages during journeys.

Gobbledigook Mon 25-Aug-08 15:50:50

Nintendo DS - my boys love theirs

watsthestory Mon 25-Aug-08 15:52:39

Message withdrawn

frankiesbestfriend Mon 25-Aug-08 15:53:09

A vote for DS here too, some really good games like Brain Training and Cooking Mama.

Also, if anyone had a gameboy and wants to buy a DS, you can play gameboy games on it, there is an extra slot on the other side.

LongDroopyBoobyLady Mon 25-Aug-08 15:53:51

DS - will be buying 2 this Xmas.

Earlybird Mon 25-Aug-08 16:03:55

If I get a DS, are there any crucial bits that need to be purchased separately (chargers, etc)? Would hate to wake up Christmas morning and not have what we needed.

Any not-strictly-necessary-but-nice-to-have bits that would be useful?

What is the difference between a DS and a DS Lite? Which would you suggest?

Earlybird Mon 25-Aug-08 16:07:25

Also - are there regular updated models of DS and DS Lites? If so, when is the latest version due to be released?

Wouldn't want to be the numpty who purchases the 'old' version 3 weeks before the 'new' version comes out...

MerlinsBeard Mon 25-Aug-08 16:10:15

i would get a DS

The diff between the DS and DSlite is that they don't sell the DS anymore(at least i don't think so!) the stylus is bigger in the DS (thicker) the buttons are slightly diff and the screen different.

I have a DS but my sis has the DSLite and i prefer the feel of mine! no diff gamewise or anything other than looks afaik

frankiesbestfriend Mon 25-Aug-08 16:13:21

Comes with charger and a spare pen thingy, the only extra we bought was a case to keep DS and games together.

We have DS lite, and although they keep bringing out new colours they are all pretty much the same AFAIK.

Dd has customised hers with some tiny stick on jewels, looks fab and doesn't get mixed up with her friends.

Gobbledigook Mon 25-Aug-08 16:18:46

Yes, you should get everything you need in teh box including charger.

Ds lite is updated version of DS.

Don't forget to buy a game if you don't buy a package with one in.

bloss Mon 25-Aug-08 17:00:57

Message withdrawn

serin Mon 25-Aug-08 18:27:28

Toys R Us seem to do the best deals, and you can pick up used games in 'Game' really cheaply.

Earlybird Tue 26-Aug-08 16:03:15

Thanks for advice. Will have a look next time I'm at a shop that stocks the Nintendo DS - and from what I hear, will promotly have a heart attack when I see how expensive the games are! wink

Earlybird Tue 26-Aug-08 16:03:48

promptly

nappyaddict Tue 26-Aug-08 16:05:29

DS or PSP.

bozza Tue 26-Aug-08 16:08:31

When we were investigating this for DS last Christmas we were advised to get a DS over a PSP as being better for that age group. Although I think the PSP is better for real game playing nerds - in terms of graphics etc. But DS is more robust, user-friendly etc.

So DS got a DS and DH has since acquired a second had PSP. Definitely recommend you invest in a case.

Earlybird Tue 26-Aug-08 16:11:23

psp = playstation?

bozza Tue 26-Aug-08 16:17:16

Yes it is playstation portable or something like that, so it is the sony version of nintendo's DS.

Earlybird Tue 26-Aug-08 16:20:43

I thought playstations had to be connected to a telly or monitor? Didn't realise there were portable versions...

Aniyan Tue 26-Aug-08 16:28:04

ds (aged 8) has a PSP (Playstation Portable) and loves it. Yes, it's a portable thing - like a DS but with just the one screen.

V good I think - the new games are all available in PSP version, so i think it'll be around for a while - you can also buy films/cartoons to watch on it - great for long journeys!

Aniyan Tue 26-Aug-08 16:31:41

re: PSP - as far as I can tell, you just have the handheld console bit, a memory card for saving where you're up to in the games, the charger, and the games which come as small cartridges.

I'm pretty sure you can buy packages that come with all the bits plus a couple of games in one box to make life easy! I'm sure nintendo DS do the same sort of deal.

My nieces/nephew and my sister have DS's and love them, but I don't know much about them.

DrNortherner Tue 26-Aug-08 16:38:46

psp = playstation portable.

Psp's are ideal for older kids, 12 plus I reckon. A DS is fab for an 8 year old.

bozza Wed 27-Aug-08 08:50:01

The one that plugs into the tele would be a playstation2 or playstation3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now