Talk

Advanced search

POÄNG Armchair from Ikea - the wooden high back one - is it good for breastfeeding?

(26 Posts)
Mimsy2000 Sun 24-Aug-08 12:48:07

looks like this: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S99840159

does anyone use this for breastfeeding? is it any good?

DorrisMcWhirter Sun 24-Aug-08 12:50:46

I have one, ended up not breastfeeding in the end but, must admit, I didn't find it the comfiest for bottle feeding - not sure if that's helpful though as BF is a different position!
It is quite 'laid back', you can tend to slump down into it.

Caz10 Sun 24-Aug-08 12:53:53

I personally can't use ours for BF-ing - dd has always been a long lanky baby and her legs got caught in the arms of the chair

now at 8mths there's no way she would fit in between the arms of it

comfy for telly though!

NorkyButNice Sun 24-Aug-08 12:54:17

I found it quite uncomfortable for feeding because of the wooden arms - it was OK at first as DS would lie on the BF pillow, but it certainly wouldn't work now he's older as he rests his head directly on the arm of the chair.

Great chair for lounging in though!

tiggerlovestobounce Sun 24-Aug-08 12:59:30

I didnt find it good. Too easy to slump down in, and I found I needed to have a straighter back than that for feeding.

TheBlonde Sun 24-Aug-08 13:02:01

I used it and found it fine

Catilla Sun 24-Aug-08 13:05:43

With first baby I found I couldn't sit upright enough in it. Needed lots of cushions behind me to sit up enough. With second I was more relaxed & confident (at least after first few weeks) and able to feed in it.

sherby Sun 24-Aug-08 13:07:00

Fed DD in it for over a year

I found it did need a cushion though

crokky Sun 24-Aug-08 13:15:11

My mum had this chair when I was breastfeeding DS. IMO, I wouldn't buy it as a feeding chair - you sink down a mile when you sit in it and it is then difficult to get up with a baby in your arms. The baby also gets tangled in the arm rest bits. The ektorp jennylund armchair that Ikea do is much better for feeding.

Evelynsmum Sun 24-Aug-08 13:48:52

I used one from when DD was 8 months old.

By this time BF was well established and we didn't have any problems. I did use a cushion though.

BTW the chair is styill in DDs room. Very useful for bedtime cuddles and comfort in the middle of the night.

Pregnant again and buying another for DC2s room.

MummyToOneForNow Sun 24-Aug-08 14:22:58

I have one in dd's bedroom which I used to use for bf in the night but found it too "laid back" and needed a pillow and cushion behind my back. Also a little hard to get up from holding a baby.

PestoMonster Sun 24-Aug-08 15:36:18

I asked for this for my birthday, eleven years ago, when I was bfing dd1. I loved it and just used a v-shaped pillow to support her on my lap. The dds still have the chair in their bedroom and I find it really comfortable for reading their bedtime stories in and for in the mornings when I plait up their hair.

I've certainly had very good value out of it and would say it is a great buy smile

Mimsy2000 Sun 24-Aug-08 15:38:40

wow - i didnt' think anyone would respond. thanks so much for the feedback. £80 did seem a bit too good to be true.

PestoMonster Sun 24-Aug-08 15:42:47

It was £140.00 when we bought it. shock

Mimsy2000 Sun 24-Aug-08 16:32:35

just had a look on the site again and it's now £59! gulp. sorry pestomonster......i think they charge more for certain fabrics and i didn't see a footstool either!

willthisdo Sun 24-Aug-08 16:34:28

Strange, I've had these for both DDs since birth and had no problems at all. I do rest them on a cushion though

ChairmumMiaow Sun 24-Aug-08 16:37:25

I have one in 7mo DS's room for night feeds, and love it. I do need a cushion for DS because of the arms, and it can be hard to heave yourself out of at 1am, but it works well for us, particularly with the footstool, and I manage to get out without waking DS!

accessorizequeen Sun 24-Aug-08 20:33:30

Hugely uncomfortable for bf, hated it. Something with more of a traditional shape is much more supportive.

MsHighwater Sun 24-Aug-08 20:39:33

I bf dd in it many times. I always used a V cushion when I bf'd and that got round the problem with the wooden arms. I found it very comfortable. I understand what people have said about it being reclined but that was never a problem for me.

Dragonbutter Sun 24-Aug-08 20:42:45

too reclined for breastfeeding imo.
but good for cuddling and bouncing an unsettled baby.

lauraloola Mon 25-Aug-08 16:56:07

We looked at this for the same thing and decided against it. It didnt seem that strong. We bought a glider chair from Kiddicare.com for £89 instead which is fab x

runnervt Mon 25-Aug-08 17:10:18

Contrary to everyone else I found it the best thing for feeding! We had one anyway so I didn't buy it specially. I used a cushion most of the time too.

MrsBadger Mon 25-Aug-08 17:56:53

I was an arm-hater too - usually fed on the sofa or sitting up in bed
tried this in the shop though and twas comfy

KashaSarrasin Mon 25-Aug-08 18:18:39

I find it great for bfeeding - sometimes I need to put an extra cushion behind my back to get more upright though. I found it much more comfortable than a glider chair, though from the posts on here I'm probably a minority

Mimsy2000 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:35:00

well i went to ikea yesterday to have a look for myself and the crowds were so bad that we never even made it inside! [i did have a very grumpy toddler with me too]. will hopefully be able to have a look this week some time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now