Talk

Advanced search

Ikea KURA bed - any good?

(6 Posts)
thehouseofmirth Fri 22-Aug-08 22:18:15

DS (3) is desperate for a "high up" bed. As he is currently in my bed and has a sibling on the way I'm happy to indulge him on this. There are many more expensive mid-sleeper beds around which I'll look at but he did really like it. Looks a bit flimsey to me, does anyone have one?

misi Sat 23-Aug-08 00:48:31

my son wants a high sleeper too. I took him to ikea and let him go on this bed, he liked it but when he saw others he was less enthusiastic and the mattress was not really thick. his current mattress that he has had for only a few months would come to an inch or 2 of the top rail so would really be useless as it would be dangerous. only thin mattresses will work on this bed.

the ''alaska'' on this link is his favourite at the moment;

http://www.dreams.co.uk/en-gb/ProductList/?cid=CHILD-BUNKS&language=en-GB

http://www.c hildrensbedworld.co.uk/p/Work_Sleeper.htm this one is like the one we saw in MFI
and there are a couple of others but I have no links for. high sleepers I have found range from thr kura at £109 to stupidly priced ones for up to £1000. if you look online most even in sales are £500 ish. the alska looks good though, metal frame under the wood for the bed itself (my son and his cousin broke his present bed, a solid wood four poster by jumping up and down on it) so should be strong, the bed itself was pretty sturdy in the shop, but couldn't tell exactly as some of the bolts were not tightened and so wobbled a bit!!

thehouseofmirth Sat 23-Aug-08 08:55:28

Thanks misi. How old is your son? Mine's only 3 so some of the high sleepers are just too tall for him. The other problem is that although there are lots of web-based businesses selling them I realy want to be able to go to a shop and look at them. Do MFI & Dreams have many to look at in their stores?

The people who run this site have shop so I might pay them a visit.

I'm just not a huge fan of Ikea and hate "disposable" furniture so I think I'd probably rather spend more on a bed I know will last.

DelGirl Sat 23-Aug-08 09:18:13

blimey they're expensive.

DelGirl Sat 23-Aug-08 09:20:09

but having looked closer, perhaps they're not grin

misi Sat 23-Aug-08 11:36:06

my son is 4 but is very confident and flings himself around a lot by jumping from sofa to sofa, up and down his climbing frame and the rope he somehow managed to string across the top of the trampoline netting yesterday, well no idea how he did it but he certainly knew how to swing on it hmm!!

I wouldn't buy anything online unless I tested it first in shop as well, the alaska was in 'dreams' and he certainly tested it out whilst there. they also had some cabin beds too which looked good but my one wants to be on high, so a high sleeper it is for him me thinks!

I too am wary of IKEA stuff. cheap, basic and won't last long, huh, just like our MP's who have now got an 'ikea list' rather than the john lewis list grin.

dreams had all those online in store to look at, they say about not letting kids on to the beds but as I said to the nice polish girl who said my son shouldn't be on the bed, ''well, if he can't try it out, I'll go as no point in looking if you can't see if he can climb up and doen etc'', then she walked away! MFI weren't so good, only had a couple of beds on show but then again, the MFI shop here is small and not very good, but it gave me a good idea. I am lucky, I have a large shopping centre and retail park on my doorstep so had plenty to pick from, but the good thing is at the moment you can haggle a bit. in another store, I really liked a bed there but it was delivery only and I was told it could be 4-6 weeks so I said no way unless he could do better, after some haggling, he came up with 2 weeks max and a £100 discount wink didn't get it though as my son didn't like it when I took him back later to see it. oh well.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now