Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a Roomba I-robot cleaning thing?

(21 Posts)
hopelesshousewife Thu 21-Aug-08 19:28:31

Am sorely tempted by the roomba vaccuum robot that promises an end to dust everywhere. They seem to range from about £100 to over £250 - anyone any experience? grin

Califrau Thu 21-Aug-08 19:39:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JKGrowling Thu 21-Aug-08 19:44:44

We've got a few - DH refurbishes them. hmm
They're great; I have to go round and clean the corners of the rooms with the dyson hose though, as the Roombas can't get in close enough.
It's great to set them off, then go out, and have most of the floor clean when we get back.

hopelesshousewife Thu 21-Aug-08 19:46:16

Oh wow Califrau thanks!! smile

I'll do a search for threads, but it sounds perfect....we have loads of hard floors, and I seem surgically attached to the vaccuum

- I need to heart a Roomba grin

brimfull Thu 21-Aug-08 19:47:22

have you just had the lakeland catalogue delivered too?

hopelesshousewife Thu 21-Aug-08 19:48:37

Thanks also JK, corners are the least of my worries, wink the house is very long and open, and we have a constant wind off the fields blowing in every time the door opens, to say nothing of the stream of wellies.....

You must have a very clever DH, I'm the technical one here and that is not a high standard.....

hopelesshousewife Thu 21-Aug-08 19:49:26

Oh have Lakeland got them - we have a store in Harrogate.

hopelesshousewife Thu 21-Aug-08 19:54:06

GGirl - Just had a look on the Lakeland site - can see them.

I was shopping for a hard floor washer yesterday and saw one - was sorely tempted, but have to convince DH, so will tell him it's MN approved!

Millarkie Thu 21-Aug-08 19:55:55

I love mine - but will admit that it is a tool to keep the general grottiness level down and wouldn't suit a clean-freak (corners, nooks and crannies and ceiling webs still need my dyson). Love the fact that I can put my roomba in the hall when we go out and come home to a clean floor..and if we have guests coming to stay I can clean 2 rooms at once (well, roomba one room and vac the other).

bratnav Thu 21-Aug-08 19:56:43

JKGrowling would you know where I can get hold of a battery for one, ours has died sad

Nappyzoneneedssleep Thu 21-Aug-08 19:58:52

If you leave the doors open do they help themselves to the other rooms? do they only do hard floors? sounds my kind of guy.

bratnav Thu 21-Aug-08 19:59:54

They will go anywhere if you leave the dors open (except stairs).

They clean carpets too, great little things.

JKGrowling Thu 21-Aug-08 20:12:37

bratnav, DH gets most of the roomba parts from ebay, I think.
have a look there, and if no luck, I'll ask him for advice when he gets home. smile

Nappyzoneneedssleep Thu 21-Aug-08 20:19:09

do they only pick up light dust or will they pick up all the rice grains my ds throws about as well? Can you get ones that clean like a bit of a wet clean too?

AbbaFan Thu 21-Aug-08 20:23:21

I have the 'cheapo' version which my DH got off some website for £60.00.

Don't know whats it's like compared to a roomba, but it works great and I love it.

hopelesshousewife Sat 23-Aug-08 20:53:01

Fab, thanks so much everyone for all your thoughts! I persuaded DH to buy one this afternoon - it's now charging and I'm counting the minutes until I can let it loose [sad middle aged smiley] I want to hear it sing.

Nappyzone - there is a wet cleaner, but its quite expensive - I'll have to save up!

hanaflower Sat 23-Aug-08 21:01:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hopelesshousewife Sat 23-Aug-08 21:41:51

Hana - I can believe that, the kids are itching to see it.

Its sitting in the corner of the kitchen at the mo, with the light in the middle pulsing like something out of Doctor Who!

bratnav Sun 24-Aug-08 23:44:32

thanks JK

giraffescantdancethetango Mon 25-Aug-08 00:06:06

well hopeless how did it go?

hopelesshousewife Tue 26-Aug-08 13:55:43

Oh oh oh it's my new best friend! grin

I just love to hear it bumbling around in another room knowing I'm not doing the work! I was really surprised how well it picks up - either that or we are REALLY dusty people!

DD has adopted him, she loves his songs, and the way he wiggles his bottom on the way to the base - he sleeps in her room at night, and she tells him a story - anything to help with bedtime..

I'm certainly a convert, boring the neighbours. I just need a scooba now, am looking on ebay - hoping the dollar goes back to two to the pound.

DH is surprised but happy - so thanks guys, I'd never have gone for it without you! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now