Talk

Advanced search

Big fancy American f/freezer? With double doors & icemaking thingy?

(30 Posts)
CarrieG Wed 16-Feb-05 15:15:59

a) Is it worth spending lots of money on when our existing f/freezer ain't broke?

b) What's a good one to get?

Having a new kitchen done, just deciding now between f/f + old tatty table & chairs OR tatty old f/f + new dining suite...(or my favoured option, stick a couple of dh's guitars on eBay & buy BOTH )

spacedonkey Wed 16-Feb-05 15:16:55

I had a Samsung one and it was brilliant and cost under a grand. Had to leave it behind when I moved though

The ice maker is a boon!

CarrieG Wed 16-Feb-05 15:19:46

Why did you have to leave it behind? Are they a massive hassle to move?

This is one of the reasons we MIGHT come down in favour of spending the few remnants of the budget on a new dining table - at least we'll be able to move with it!

SoupDragon Wed 16-Feb-05 15:21:57

We've got the Samsung one - about £800 I think. Fantastic. Can't see why you'd have to leave it behind unless there's no room in the new house for it. The prrvious owners of our house took theirs with them.

Anyway, best bit for me is that the DSs can help themselves to water without disturbing me

CountessDracula Wed 16-Feb-05 15:22:16

ooh i want one but can't bring myself to get rid of perfectly good big bosch ff. Have the space and plumbing all ready and waiting...

saw this one in currys it is really nice and v cheap. Still debating..

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:23:51

we've got the Samsung one .. cost us about £900 but that was 3 years ago at least

its fabulous

however you must remember that you need to plumb it in to water and you need to change the water filter on the fridge every 6 months and it costs about £30 to £50 a time

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:23:54

we've got the Samsung one .. cost us about £900 but that was 3 years ago at least

its fabulous

however you must remember that you need to plumb it in to water and you need to change the water filter on the fridge every 6 months and it costs about £30 to £50 a time

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:23:57

its fabulous

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:24:33

we've only got one

sorry

Gwenick Wed 16-Feb-05 15:25:21

ooo we've been looking at that Curry's one too - SOOOOO tempting...........might have to take a trip to Curry's this weekend.

strawberry Wed 16-Feb-05 15:25:22

We've got an LG one. They are much cheaper nowadays - I think you can get them for under £500. For ice and filtered water you have to plumb it in but don't see why you can't take it with you when moving. Not really any different to washing machine.

The ice and filtered water is fab! Get a new table cloth and chair covers to refurbish dining suite!

Gwenick Wed 16-Feb-05 15:25:51

but it's obvoiously very good

CarrieG Wed 16-Feb-05 15:27:38

Tempted now! Is it a big job having it plumbed in?

SoupDragon Wed 16-Feb-05 15:28:35

You don't have to change the filter... it works just as well without one.

(can you tell I've not got round to ordering and replacing the one that ran out in the summer?)

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:28:48

no .. they just need to run a pipe along the back of the wall (cost me £20 with a local plumber) .. best if you know where you want it to be before you fit the new kitchen though

Prettybird Wed 16-Feb-05 15:29:13

We got a stainless steel LG one last year when we put in a new kitchen and I can honestly say it is my favourite thing in the kitchen.

We still need to buy the new kitchen table and chairs .... although it is not so much the money as I haven't been able to find what I want.

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:29:42

I managed to go a year and a half without changing filter .. supposedly if you don't change it though it builds up gunk slowly and it will stop working (which sounds far more costly)

also we're in hard water area

SoupDragon Wed 16-Feb-05 15:29:47

I connected ours myself but the pipework was already there from the previous owner. It just needs a pipe from the mains water supply, much like a washing machine but without the hot water pipe

CarrieG Wed 16-Feb-05 15:35:48

Looking at CountessDracula's link they appear to be quite a bit cheaper if you DON'T have the ice thing (& I know I'd forget to change the filters...) - do you use the ice maker that much?

& it's GOT to be metal or black cabinet...most of the cheapest ones seem to be white...definitely less expensive than I thought they'd be though!

SoupDragon Wed 16-Feb-05 15:37:35

Our Samsung one is silver coloured and I wouldn't be without the plumbed in water/ice maker although DH claims his gin and tonic intake has increased significantly since we had ice on tap. I don't see the point of getting one if you're not having the ice/water - it's just an ordinary fridge/freezer then.

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:38:06

use the water and icemaker all the time

no point in getting one without IMHO

(not ss .. who can be bothered polishing a fridge )

SoupDragon Wed 16-Feb-05 15:39:30

Ours is this one. The display panel does give you a warning that the filter is about to run out and then tells you that is actually needs replacing. Although I am proof that you can ignore those warnings...

SoupDragon Wed 16-Feb-05 15:39:56

Oh - and the Samsung silver one doesn't need polishing. Bargain!

Prettybird Wed 16-Feb-05 15:42:58

You can get a Samsung stainless steel one with ice and water for £749 from \lik=nk{http://www.appliancecity.co.uk/asp/product.asp?recorprod=&product=387&cat=&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=\Appliance City} who were very good with all our kitchen appliances.

Personally, I think the ice and water are part of the attraction. Our LG one has been in a year and I've not changed the filter (wasn't even aware we had one!) - not have I seen any deterioration in the water supply. We live in a very soft water area.

CarrieG Wed 16-Feb-05 15:43:26

Fair enough...tbh my main reason for wanting one is that I think it'd look less grotty in the new kitchen than our second hand, stained white fridge freezer.

I suspect we'll be drinking more g&t too if it doesn't involve finding the ice cube tray under the veggie burgers, running it under the sink & then whacking it with the heaviest saucepan...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: