Talk

Advanced search

How long do I need to use non-biological powder for?

(22 Posts)
PeppermintPatty Tue 19-Aug-08 21:08:43

DD is 14 months, want to switch to biological powder. Is this OK?

SqueakyPop Tue 19-Aug-08 21:09:50

Is this your first?

LilRedWG Tue 19-Aug-08 21:10:52

I still have to use it for DH now - and it has to be Fairy non-bio and it has to be Comfort Pure!

PeppermintPatty Tue 19-Aug-08 21:11:58

Yes

nicolamumof3 Tue 19-Aug-08 21:14:17

it depends on what their skin is like? if not overly sensitive then try a load with biological, maybe try washing things that not right next to their skin first and see how she is. I was biological for my first two as their clothes get filthy then no.3 arrived and his have been washed in bio since about 3months.

dustyteddy Tue 19-Aug-08 21:15:48

I believein other parts of europe they only stock bio washing powder. Must be ok for their dcs

LilRedWG Tue 19-Aug-08 21:17:22

Depends on the person. As I said, DH can only use Fairy and he's 34. I think nicolamumof3 has the best suggestion for you PeppermintPatty.

PeppermintPatty Tue 19-Aug-08 21:19:45

Thanks, she hasn't got sensitive skin, so will try biological.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 19-Aug-08 21:23:09

I have read on mnet (and other places) that as dustyteddy says, many other countries don't even have a non-bio option.

According to websites such as the nappylady, if you or you dc reacts to a washing powder, it is unlikely to be a reaction to the "bio" part of it - more likely the perfume or some other element.

Personally I avoid all fabric conditioners, as they coat the fabric (imo obviously) with all kinds of chemicals, which imo is more or a "risk" than bio powder.

I find that some of the basic/value powders make me itchy, but bio doesn't seem to be a factor. Some people find that liquid detergent rinses out better than powder, but if you have an older machine it may not be recommended.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 19-Aug-08 21:26:26

I haven't used a biological powder for years, because I am sensitive to it. It makes my skin dry and itchy and I came out in horrible brown, scaly patches.

No need for it anyway - non bio stuff gets the clothes just as clean. Why are you so keen to go back to it?

DaisySteiner Tue 19-Aug-08 21:28:12

We had major skin problems when we washed dd's nappies in non-bio. Cleared up completely when we switched to biological detergent.

nicolamumof3 Tue 19-Aug-08 21:32:02

Maybe its just my boys, they love digging in dirt, get grass stains, spill every food and drink going down them. Non bio just doesn't get the stains out!

onepieceoflollipop Tue 19-Aug-08 21:32:44

Daisy some people would say that nappies don't get properly clean with non bio? Perhaps that was your experience?

(disclaimer: that isn't necessarily my opinion!)

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 19-Aug-08 22:09:53

I always use non-bio because my husband is convinced he'll have an allergic reaction if I don't - and he insists on Persil - but I also find that non-bios aren't great at removing stains. I'm a fan of Vanish powder.

I've recently been to France where there's about one detergent on the market which doesn't contain emzymes and, as others have said, it doesn't seem to harm French skin!

DaisySteiner Wed 20-Aug-08 08:14:52

No, I don't think it was that because we soaked, washed at 60C etc. Although I do agree that bio works better.

The point is the same - that biological isn't necessarily worse for the skin.

I think there was actually some research published quite recently that indicated that biological wasn't any worse than non-bio in terms of skin sensitivity for most people.

caykon Wed 20-Aug-08 12:16:38

I used bio from newborn, I didnt switch brands and pay extra for fairy non bio just because having a baby.
Mine never had any problems, so like others have said try it and see

SqueakyPop Wed 20-Aug-08 12:53:34

The only people that need non-bio powders are those who are sensitised to the enzymes in bio. If you are not sensitised, then you do not need non-bio. Babies are not born sensitised to enzymes, which they then miraculously grow out of in their early years.

Non-bio powders are actually harsher than bio because they have to use stronger detergents, bleaches etc to make up for the lack of enzymes.

schneebly Wed 20-Aug-08 12:58:27

I didn't change brands at all - just carried on with my regular bio stuff and it hasn't bothered either of mine - in fact DS1 gets eczema but only on his scalp so I can't blame it on the washing powder!

jellybelly2007 Wed 20-Aug-08 13:05:49

DS2 has eczema all over his tummy, HV said to use non-bio and no fabric softener, but it hasnt made a great deal of difference TBH.
We were on hols a few weeks ago, and could only get hold of regular bio [think it was surf, which is quite strongly scented] and he was fine.

SQUEAKYPOP- is that true that non-bio is harsher? Thimk I may change back, as agree it doesnt get tough stains out well.

SqueakyPop Wed 20-Aug-08 13:07:16

They can be, jelly. They have to put in additional ingredients to make up for the missing enzymes.

Seona1973 Wed 20-Aug-08 13:17:04

I used non-bio for a few weeks with both of mine but that was mainly because of the free samples in the bounty packs. After a few weeks their clothes got washed in biological powder/liquid along with the rest of the washing. They have no skin problems.

cheesesarnie Wed 20-Aug-08 13:21:18

my 2 ds have ezcema and certainly do get more if i use bio.i ran out of washing powder last week and had to buy £1 shop bio.now more patchy.same as if my mums does my washing(she uses bio).

PeppermintPatty -is there reason you want to change to bio?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now