Talk

Advanced search

Which washing machines have a CHILD LOCK on the controls?

(19 Posts)
blithedance Tue 19-Aug-08 13:46:26

I'm looking for a decent new washing machine that will last the course of the next decade of school uniforms, sports kit etc. I mean something like a Bosch, around £450 mark ideally.

Nobody in the shops can tell me which machines have a facility to disable the buttons so the little S*d's can't mess about with the programmes. (Old machine just had a big dial they couldn't turn, new ones all have twinkly lights and buttons for some reason).

Can anyone say if your machine has a child lock and do you find it useful?

PestoMonster Tue 19-Aug-08 13:48:11

I've never heard of one with a child lock, sorry. But have you thought about putting a stairgate on the entrance to your kitchen/utility room, to keep your dcs out?

saltire Tue 19-Aug-08 13:48:23

Mine didn't 8 years ago when Ds1 managed to put all the pegs in a spin cycle. I suppose the only way of finding out would be to contact the manufaturers direct

Bronze Tue 19-Aug-08 13:49:04

Mine does . Its an LG
My dishwaher does too and thats a bosch

FAQ Tue 19-Aug-08 13:50:06

mine does it's a Daewoo

blithedance Tue 19-Aug-08 21:07:52

We can't gate off the washing machine, it's right beside the back door which is the main entry/exit door to the house.

My choice has come down to a 7kg Siemens without childlock or a 6kg ISE with a childlock...

preggersplayspop Tue 19-Aug-08 21:10:19

My LG does, so DS can spin the dial as much as he wants. However.....you can still press the on/off button and it will stop it mid-cycle, which is very annoying. I had to hide the button by sticking some paper over the top. Design fault!

ChippyMinton Tue 19-Aug-08 21:10:42

my bosch has a lock, but it's not a specific 'lock' button. It may be the start button which activates the lock if you keep it pressed down for a few seconds?

busymum1 Tue 19-Aug-08 21:17:15

our ariston 6kg has lock once machine starts buttons push in ds2 tries everything to stop or mess it up he dd1 and children I childmind never managed to destroy it yet about 4 years old

fatzak Tue 19-Aug-08 21:26:07

Our Bosch has the same as ChippyMinton's - you can't start/change any programme unless you hold down the start button for five seconds.

moshie Tue 19-Aug-08 21:26:48

zannusi do, 6kg and a programmme countdown too, lets you know how long is left til it's finished. very pleased with it.

blithedance Tue 19-Aug-08 21:55:03

Thank you. My DS's are absolutely unstoppable button-pushers, every machine in the house has had to be barricaded off. They get told to stop it all the time but I think they cannot resist fidgeting and exploring things.

ChippyMinton Tue 19-Aug-08 21:58:58

blithedance if you have a model number you can probably download the manual from the manufacturer's website and have a read through the instructions.

PigeonPie Tue 19-Aug-08 21:59:38

My Hotpoint Aqualtis does. Also has a 7.5kg drum which is good, but I think that if the Miele had a child lock, I'd go for that as their guarantees are excellent (usually 10 year) and they are very good solid machines.

littleducks Tue 19-Aug-08 22:02:46

i heed to save this thread for future ref as dd messes up my machine, espacially the temp and i didnt even consider that when i bought it pre-kids

funnypeculiar Tue 19-Aug-08 22:06:12

Ah. As others have already said, LG (& it has a lovely big knob which they can spin round and make light up) DS & dd haven't discovered preggersplayspop's design fault yet, though smile

MuffinMclay Wed 20-Aug-08 13:01:13

My Zanussi one does, and the only person who can fathom how to override it is ds1 (instruction book gets me nowhere).

theyoungvisiter Wed 20-Aug-08 13:06:20

we've got this hotpoint one and it's got a childlock. I think all theirs do. It just locks the controls - you have to press it for 5 secs to activate them again.

The only annoying thing about the design is that you have to turn the childlock off when you turn the machine off - so then all the child has to do is turn on the machine and the controls are live.

This means we leave the machine on permanent standby which I don't think can be super for the environment, but I figure is better than DS running empty washes!

Lionstar Wed 20-Aug-08 15:07:02

We have a Zanussi (ZWD14581W) washer-dryer with a child lock and it is a godsend! I lost count of the number of washes that got done at least twice due to DDs fiddling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now