Talk

Advanced search

Family Cycling / Bikes - complete novice after advice from cyclists

(5 Posts)
MatBackFack Tue 19-Aug-08 11:00:02

I have a dream. Me and DP and 2 DS's cycling around on bikes, long country rides at the weekend, cycling holidays etc etc. Therefore I need 2 adult bikes and 2 child seats - 3y old and 1y old. I can ride a bike and have hired bikes on holidays but apart from that I know nothing about them! I have looked in a few shops but am confused about all the options eg do I need a road bike or mountain bike, what is a hybrid bike etc etc.

Our usage will be mainly riding in the park, to the local high st etc. But we do have some proper outdoor trails near us and I like to think we would get a bit more adventurous. Also, I would like to go out on my own into the woods etc for exercise/fitness purposes, as well as riding to the high street etc. Budget is fairly flexible and I would like to get 2 bikes that would suit our purposes without being over the top but would allow us to take them on holiday and possibly get into regular cycling, off-road and on.

Can anyone recomend 2 adult bikes? What type do we need? Where should we start?

And what are the options for carrying a 1y old and nearly 4y old?

TheBlonde Tue 19-Aug-08 11:06:38

www.whycycle.co.uk/index.php quite a useful site if you haven't seen it already

MatBackFack Tue 19-Aug-08 11:22:41

thanks, that looks useful

bethoo Tue 19-Aug-08 11:35:55

i would get a hybrid as they are like a cross between a mountain bike with sturdy thick tyres yet the frame of a hardy road bike. getting a mountain bike jsut for road means hard work as the treads make them slow and heavy esp if going up hills. if you were to get a road bike you would have to be careful if going on trail.
you can get seats that ut on the back of your bike, the trailer that you attach to your bike or the there is a bike attachment for older kiddies.

EvelynsDad Tue 19-Aug-08 14:10:15

Best place to start is a good local bike shop.

The good shops will talk through the options and let you try things out to see what you are comfortable with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now