Talk

Advanced search

Memory foam pillows - yes or no?

(16 Posts)
Monkeytrousers Tue 19-Aug-08 09:03:47

?

Monkeytrousers Tue 19-Aug-08 09:04:26

Can you for instance, get confortable anywhere but on your back?

herbietea Tue 19-Aug-08 09:06:20

Message withdrawn

brimfull Tue 19-Aug-08 09:08:19

I have a ludicrously £££ tempur one,it is about 8 yrs old ,I love it.
It is a neck support one.I used to wake up with a sore neck regularly and have never done with this pillow.Saying that it needs replacing but I don't want to spend £70 and the really cheap ones are crap.
Would like a recommendation for one that's decent and up to £35.

brimfull Tue 19-Aug-08 09:10:22

herbie tea-we had a tempur mattress unitl dh decided it was huting his back (which it wasn't as confirmed by osteopath)
They are quite hot and take a few nights to get used to but I loved it.
We have one that is a spring matress with a bit of memory stuff on the top

brimfull Tue 19-Aug-08 09:10:55

mokey -I sleep on my side

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 19-Aug-08 09:11:58

Sounds like I have the same tempur one as ggirl. It's wonderful. I don't sleep on my back at all.

GooseyLoosey Tue 19-Aug-08 09:12:04

I have just got a memory foam mattress and after struggling with terrible back pain in the morning for many years I am now able to have a lie in - its fab! Only thing that you need to be aware of is that they tend to be hotter in the summer (if we ever have one) as there is no air flow through them as there is with a sprung mattress.

Don't know about pillows though - there are lots of different types and you need to get the right one for you. My mother bought an expensive one and hated it. She gave it to me and I was not that keen either - but it maybe that it was just the wrong thype for either of us.

I have a memory foam pillow and it is fantastic. Dh hates it says its too hard. Think it was about £50 will find out off dh what make it is. We also have a memory and spring mattress, which is also great. Got it last year when pregnant with dd.
He was convinced it was because I was pregnant that I couldnt get comfy in old one but when we slept in it for first night It was amazing.

Romy7 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:20:46

spent a fortune on mine and it made my upper back/ neck worse.
i shaved a centimetre of the bottom of it (actually chopped it with a large pair of scissors - surprisingly difficult!) (thinking it might be too big - i'm only wee with narrow shoulders)
that didn't help.
i now have a butchered memory foam pillow and still have upper back/ neck issues.
i was expecting my chiropractor to have something beneficial to say on the matter but he just laughed.
i guess if i fix it myself he won't get paid... hmm

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 19-Aug-08 09:22:00

herbietea - we also have tempur mattresses in every room, as we adore them. There are quite a few threads in the archives about them too if you search.

2point4kids Tue 19-Aug-08 09:39:32

Both me and my DH hated them.
The pillows gave us neck ache.
We are much more comfortable now we have bought nice normal pillows.

brimfull Tue 19-Aug-08 10:38:03

the reason we chose tempur was because you could thave it on trial for 30days

I love mine. And yes it is confortableeven if I'm on my front.

I have a memory foam mattress as well. Its a Sealy Posture Perfect one as these scored very high in the Which test and also some Back Action charity recommended them. It is quite hard but its good for me with lots of disc problems. They also do a softer one, think its called Comfort Plus hmm

Can't remember what brand my pillow is, we were in a bed shop teting out mattresses and I fell in love with one of the pillows. I really think you have to try them out for yourself as what suits one person may not suit another. I knew instantly that this pillow would be great for me. Think it was £60 though. shock

Adore my pillow! My optician recomended them to me as he said my headaches weren't being caused by bad eyesight but poor posture in bed. Purchased a pillow days later (embaressingly from the Ideal Home Show, but good place to try them out) and haven't looked back.

The pillow I have is a Putnams one, just the bog standard one. Webpage heplfully shows it's shape, which for those of us that sleep on our side, has a cut out for shoulders to fit into. Am now looking at getting a travel one, as I do take my pillow away with me.

Monkeytrousers Tue 19-Aug-08 22:42:21

Oh I bottled it and ordered some bog standard ones. blush

I am a pillow conservative!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now