Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone else got a Laura Ashley Refectory table?

(21 Posts)
Tinker Mon 18-Aug-08 22:27:35

Are they unprotectable really? I'm not precious about stuff but had hoped we could go longer than 24 hours without getting a ring mark on it...

Any tips? Thank you

pgwithnumber3 Mon 18-Aug-08 23:07:04

Is it the oiled oak one? If so, we had the identical one but from House of Fraser. DH used to give the ring marks a light sand and then re-oil it.

Tinker Mon 18-Aug-08 23:09:53

Yes, it is the oiled oak one. Had been given a coat of Danish Oil (?) before delivered and we've to do that again soon but still think it won't be mark-proof. I don't want it covered up all the time so I guess we'll have to learn to love the lived-in look a little earlier than planned.

pgwithnumber3 Mon 18-Aug-08 23:11:13

I used to cover mine with a runner. You can get some fab ones and they do give you some coverage to protect it plus somewhere to put your cups etc.

Tinker Mon 18-Aug-08 23:15:29

Thanks. Have got a runner and a wipe clean table cloth. I'm sure we'll get used to its sensitive ways...

LynetteScavo Mon 18-Aug-08 23:24:46

We've got one. I use Lind seed oil on it. - lots.

When it was first delivered, DS said "oh great, lets eat tea on the new table" I said "NO! We are not eating off it!" grin

I have relaxed some what since.

Tinker Mon 18-Aug-08 23:27:02

Ah, so oiling is the key then. Does it protect it much?

LynetteScavo Mon 18-Aug-08 23:30:27

I use coasters for hot drinks, but we don't have any wed wine rings, so it must do something. I put it on about once a month. Partly because I like the smell.

Tinker Wed 20-Aug-08 22:15:04

Thanks. Will try it out soon...ish.

PeaMcLean Wed 20-Aug-08 22:18:12

Yes, we've got one of those. Does seem remarkably sensitive for a table. We use coasters and mats, which isn't really what I was aiming for. Surface just doesn't feel quite right, like it needs a good sanding.

Good for playing table tennis on though.

PeaMcLean Wed 20-Aug-08 22:19:26

We use a lot of Danish oil on it. It still looks patchy like there are dry bits.

Tinker Wed 20-Aug-08 23:35:27

Yes, I don't like all the coasters and mats stuff, either.

sallystrawberry Wed 20-Aug-08 23:41:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tinker Wed 20-Aug-08 23:44:40

Oh god, all these stories are making me wonder if I've made a bad choice. Looks great but I don't do "being careful" with furniture. Oh well, it's only wood isn't it?

gomez Wed 20-Aug-08 23:45:21

Key is to sand down with some wet & dry and then oil the fecker weekly for about a year and then monthly. Ours is a bit bashed but not ringed if that makes sense. Looks fab!

sallystrawberry Wed 20-Aug-08 23:46:28

Tinker Wed 20-Aug-08 23:46:52

What's wet and dry? Is that teh name of a product?

Tinker Wed 20-Aug-08 23:47:37

Phew, sally, that's what I need to hear.

sallystrawberry Wed 20-Aug-08 23:50:10

gomez Wed 20-Aug-08 23:52:04

Sorry blithley throwing technical terms into the mix smile it a a 'soft' sandpaper thingy. Not hard to do at all. Also don;t use Ikea wood oil buy a decent one from a decent store. It really does make a big difference. Trust me ours is in the playroom and gets all types of abuse - looks really good!

Tinker Wed 20-Aug-08 23:54:50

Oh, you rf irend sounds liek me sally grin

Thanks gomez. Have got something from B&Q, can't remember make but a brand and was called Danish Oil so think that's the stuff. Nearly bought a coloured one by mistake shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now