Talk

Advanced search

Pedaless/Balance Bike - Wood or metal?

(16 Posts)
OllieWollieWoo Mon 18-Aug-08 18:56:40

Would like to get DS2 a balance bike (think thats the name of those cute little bikes with no pedals!) but am a bit confused as to which type to get. The wooden ones seem v expensive compared to some of the metal ones I have found.
Know several MNs like Islabikes (which seem to be the same price as a good wooden one) but can anyone tell me the supposed difference between a wooden or metal framed one??? Thought it may be weight but some of the metal ones seem v lightweight so scratching my head on this one!
Thanks.

norksinmywaistband Mon 18-Aug-08 18:59:02

Not sure of the difference but got DS' one a couple of weeks ago from Tesco direct - with a discount code it was £32

pippibluestocking Mon 18-Aug-08 19:01:16

Wood is much lighter and I suspect more expensive but other than that, not a lot of difference I would think. DD has wood and I love it because of its weight.

littlemisschatalot Mon 18-Aug-08 19:08:37

we have had both wooden likeabike and islabike. wooden likeabike easier to start with as has upright riding position and handlebars dont turn full circle, so less likely to career out of control. islabike was fab fab fab, but only for on older child, ie, over 2 and half.
i have 2 boys, had wooden likeabike mini for youngest at 15mths, he kept it till he was 20mths, then went on older brothers islabike and then onto islabike with pedals/no stabilizers at 2:6. hes now 3 and is an expert on his bike. older brother had islabike from 2 and half, then rode pedal bike at 3. best money i ever spent!
if you have a cautious child i would go with the wooden.
my next question is the both want scooters but are way too small for regular 2 wheeled type. any ideas?

pootleflump Mon 18-Aug-08 19:17:25

My dd got the Likeabike 'Jumper' (metal) for her 2nd birthday and I'd definitely recommed over wood. I think some of the cheap metal ones are maybe quite heavy but if you go for Likeabike or Islabike, they're far lighter than the wooden versions and I think they last better. DD's still looks like new when there's hardly been a day in 18 months that she hasn't been on it, whereas the wooden ones can get a bit scruffy looking.

DD is 3 and now rides an Islabike with pedals, there was no teaching needed - she just got on and rode it! I agree with littlemisschatalot about it being the best money every spent.

Littlemisschatalot, regards the scooter- my dd (3) has a 2 wheeled one and she's a whizz on it, she can even use the foot-brake on it. I'm sure your boys would be fine with them.

littlemisschatalot Mon 18-Aug-08 19:29:38

pootleflump, i tried them today but the handlebars dont go down low enough..they are at teeth height they are only 3 and 4 but smallish for age. i need a 2 wheel small scooter?

barking Mon 18-Aug-08 19:33:51

another vote for the islabikes, I have them for all 3 dc's and recently bought the largest version for myself.
Superb quality

pootleflump Mon 18-Aug-08 20:09:23

Littlemisschatalot, I got this one from woolies and it's perfect fit for dd who's 3 (and she's small too) on the lowest setting. It took us ages to find one small enough with 2 wheels as well- have a look in woolies.

soph28 Mon 18-Aug-08 20:20:28

We just got DS (3) a 'Scoot' bike by Ridgeback (mountain bike make). It's metal and comes in lots of funky colours and has a brake. It also come with 2 seat posts (one longer for when they are bigger). He absolutely loves it- he has had it for about 4 weeks and can now lift his feet up when coming down hill and balance. The handle bar does turn all the way round but he is older and this hasn't been a problem.

It's the best thing I've ever bought! (Is around £90 so not the cheapest but well worth it)

LITTLEMISSCHATALOT- my sis just bought a scooter for her 2yo- It has a wide sort of egg shaped foot plate and 2 wheels at the front which slant towards each other and one at the back so it stands up on it's own. Will find out the mae for you.

soph28 Mon 18-Aug-08 20:24:42

Here you go mini scooter

ClareVoiant Mon 25-Aug-08 13:10:06

Hi, into this a bit late,but was on holiday when this thread started...

olliewolliewoo... I have a Rothan for sale here if your interested. can answer any questions you have on it.

shazamaz Wed 01-Apr-09 16:23:11

If you are interested in training or balance bikes take a look at:

www.balance-bike.co.uk

They have dettails on lots of bikes along with lots of links.

Hope this helps.

sund Wed 20-May-09 15:54:07

Message withdrawn

golflover Fri 20-Nov-09 23:46:03

www.lloydsworcester.com do a wooden balance bike that's not too expensive and great quality. We got one for our 3 year old and she loves it.

SpikyPiixie Wed 25-May-11 23:41:00

Cheapest Strider found by my sister had a price-match guarantee, free postage and a free handlebar bell, so they were well chuffed - from www.munchkipumpkin.com/ourshop/prod_895147-Strider-Prebike-ALL-Colours-1-5yrs-FREE-PampP-BELL.html. Every penny counts as they say, especially with so much going up in price these days. I think outdoor toys will be more important than ever. SO many families I know are having a 'staycation' this year. The Stirders are metal balance bikes and start from really young. My niece loves her Strider balance bike, and best of all. it's bright pink!!

chesky Fri 24-Jun-11 14:26:58

We bought our strider bike from www.strider-rider.co.uk we emailed them and found they did a good deal for us. My son loves his bike, it is nice and light and he can carry it, it is also low enough for him as he is a very petite 2 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now