Talk

Advanced search

Britax Vigour or 3 wheelers with carrycots...any suggestions?

(17 Posts)
jellybeans Mon 18-Aug-08 17:54:46

Hi sorry for another pushchair question but I am due in Nov (fingers crossed..long story) and have no idea what to get. Like the Britax Vigour 3+ but can't find anywhere that stocks it to view. Has anyone got one, are they happy with it? Is it really heavy? (I have several steps up to my house) Other ones I like the look of are the XTS twister and Quinny Speedi. I live in a hilly semi rural area hence thinking of a 3 wheeler (do I need hand brakes for steep hills or are they a gimmick). Would like the baby to face me either in a carrycot or reversible seat for the first 6 months or so. THANKYOUand sorry for going on.

jellybeans Fri 22-Aug-08 21:43:27

Just bumping to see if anyone has this pram, thanks x

Ready4anotherCoffee Fri 22-Aug-08 21:47:37

mountain buggy all the way for mesmile

Ceolas Fri 22-Aug-08 21:48:43

I have one but we got it when DD was out of the carrycot. I'm very happy with it. It's very light to push, but heavy if you were lifting it in and out of a car all the time. If you're 'bumping up' steps it will be no problem. I love the fact that it rear faces too and the back and leg rests adjust independently.

For something so sturdy it folds quite compactly. I can keep it in my hall cupboard and it free stands with the brake on.

I don't know about the Twister but think I heard that the Speedi doesn't sit completely upright which can be annoying for a toddler.

Feel free to ask any more questions

Ceolas Fri 22-Aug-08 21:49:35

I've not done much 'off-roading' with it so don't know how it would perform on really rough ground.

pgwithnumber3 Fri 22-Aug-08 21:50:32

Hi, I haven't had much experience of the Britax but I used to live in Wales and it is VERY hilly, cattle grids to get over etc and I had the earlier version of this for DD1. Gesslein are a German company and I can truly say it was a faultless pram. Definitely worth having a look at if you want to pay in that region. It is not a carrycot per se but it is a forward/rear facing pushchair which you add a cocoon to to make it a comfy carrycot. Far less hassle than a carrycot. The wheels can be changed so it is easier to get around town.

jellybeans Fri 22-Aug-08 22:05:19

Thanks everyone, like the look of the Gesslein and Mountain buggy but abit out of my price range (£300 ish) unless I could get a 2nd hand maybe. Ceolas, thanks for that, I will prob just use a sling/an old maclaren buggy for car trips as we don't have alot of boot space with all seats up in. I walk alot though as DH and me share a car. Good to hear it can bump up steps. Did you order yours online? Which colour did you get (they are all nice, DH likes blue) Thanks

Ceolas Fri 22-Aug-08 22:55:13

I got it in boring black from babyworld. You get a 5% discount if you are a member (free to join).

Delivery was very quick. They do it with the carrycot for £339. Not much over budget with the discount.

jellybeans Fri 22-Aug-08 23:09:48

Thanks, will check out the link I like the black one, DH likes blue! He will prob get his own way lol.

saltcod Sat 23-Aug-08 13:27:31

Hi, I had the britax viour 3 - good points, lovely & light to push, decent basket, reclines really easily - anything from bolt upright to practically flat, forward/rear facing. Carrycot is a really good size... they get bored of lying flat, though, before they outgrow it!

Bad points - front wheel has a tendancy to "jam", particulary when going up/down kerbs - I know several people with this pushchair who have same problem - it's a design fault which they may have fixed with the new model. And the seat unit is tiny! Fine if you've got a petite child, but my son isn't particulary large & looks very squashed at just 18 months. The footrest didn't extend either. The seat is a "bucket seat", so the whole thing reclines in one piece when you lay it back... which also means the hood goes back with it... so no sun etc protection when reclined. You can fold the buggy in one piece, but it's very cumbersome & heavy doing it like this. Folds more easily if you take it apart.... but it does take up a lot of boot room. Oh and the frame scratches very very easily!

Overall, I liked it... but would have suited my daughter far better than my son... she was tiny, he was't! We never used it forward facing, only rear facing... and it was lovely having the interaction. I'm now using a Mountain Buggy, but really miss not having my son facing me anymore

HTH - btw, we had it in black but you can always jazz it up with a colourful buggy snuggle or similar.

Ceolas Sat 23-Aug-08 13:38:22

I have the newer model and never had a problem with the wheel jamming. Back and leg rests recline independently on this model too.

I had heard they'd made the seat bigger but my DD's pretty small. Also the seat fits onto the frame in a different way than the old model so is tidier folding.

misdee Sat 23-Aug-08 13:41:05

ceolos, didnt know you had bought one these lol.

Ceolas Sat 23-Aug-08 14:09:27

Yes misdee. Sold the big bebecar on ebay and got it a few months ago. Really happy with it as it folds and stores in the hall cupboard!

Are you buying anything new for DD4?

misdee Sat 23-Aug-08 14:14:55

second hand bugaboo.

all i have atm is a maclaren ryder (early one) which is suitable for 3months +

my lovely sisterhas just put a depositi down on a dusk pramette for my car though. was a bargain price. and gorgeous and not pink!!

jellybeans Sun 31-Aug-08 12:34:17

Thanks so much everyone for your help. Am thinking of getting one now, will check to get the new model.

MrsBadger Sun 31-Aug-08 12:39:20

oh I am late, but would recommend the Maclaren MX3. Seat doesn't reverse but carrycot is excellent and it is v cheap too.

jellybeans Sun 31-Aug-08 12:51:25

Thanks, will have a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now