Talk

Advanced search

My Kettle has died, Help me find a new one!

(14 Posts)
caykon Mon 18-Aug-08 17:33:57

Need a new kettle, something classy not too pricey

Podrick Mon 18-Aug-08 17:35:00

I get mine from Tesco around £5

Freckle Mon 18-Aug-08 17:35:31

Sainsburys have one in their Basics range for less than a fiver. I bought one for a friend when she moved and couldn't find her kettle in all the boxes and she says she now uses the Basics one in preference to her other, very expensive one.

Another friend bought one when I told her this and is very happy with it. It's cordless and boils very quickly and not too noisily.

NoBiggy Mon 18-Aug-08 17:36:48

Mine has mood lights. I didn't choose it. Waste of effort and energy. Mood lights. In a kettle. I ask you.

RustyBear Mon 18-Aug-08 17:38:20

I have this one which is great - it has a whistle, so I can go on mumsnetting doing the housework in another room & know when it's boiled.

LIZS Mon 18-Aug-08 17:40:49

I got a basic Russell Hobbs from Argos like this . It replaced a previous fancy lights one which went kaput within months. Quick , quiet , looks ok.

caykon Mon 18-Aug-08 20:01:13

rusty I like the idea of a whistling one. I have seen some that whistle but look like old fashioned stove top kettles. Only problem is I can't tell if they are cordless or not and would like a cordless one

LIZS Mon 18-Aug-08 20:06:20

my mum hs a whistling cordless and matching toaster which beeps !

RustyBear Mon 18-Aug-08 20:13:11

Mine is cordless - it has a 360 degree base so you can pick it up with either hand & water level indicators on both sides too. I have a silver one, but you can get it in white too.

EvelynsDad Tue 19-Aug-08 10:46:10

Kettles, hmm.

Prima glass Kettle - didn't last long

Prestige glass Kettle - didn't last long

Morphy Richards Basics Kettle from Sainsburys leaked

M&S kettle - first one died after 6 months, replacement is working but has lights in that don't always work and "keep warm" switch at a height where it can be bumped by trays/chopping boards, etc.

All in all, there isn't one that I could recommend from the last 5 years.

We do have a 12 year old Tefal Kettle that we don't use much because it looks a bit manky, but it's outlasted 4 replacements. I'd recommend Tefal, but the current range looks naff to me.

WilfSell Tue 19-Aug-08 11:01:54

Oh I'm sorry. I'm gonna post a pricey one. But it is BRILLIANT. We had cheapo Tescos ones too but they're a false economy as don't last long.

We spent 70 quid on a stainless steel Magimix one from JL. A lot but let me tell you about it...

Looks beautiful. Has a double wall of steel so doesn't get too hot on outside and keeps water hot. Has a nifty little push button to open lid and a rubber bit so you can push lid closed again.

Allows you to only boil 0.5L water (about two mugs-worth - which the eco-warriors are constantly telling us to do to save energy) - many kettles have a higher minimum. and has a good scale on side to show how much.

Quite heavy and substantial but I prefer that. Handle is rubber lined also for grip and heat insulation.

It is the best kettle I have ever owned.

I thank you.

WilfSell Tue 19-Aug-08 11:03:10

obv cordless too. most are now anyway.

EffiePerine Tue 19-Aug-08 11:05:58

my sturdy Phillips kettle has just died after 15 years. I am not expecting its replacement to last as long

caykon Tue 19-Aug-08 12:26:42

Well problem solved for me I posted a wanted on freecycle and also offered some clothes i no longer wore. Someone responded and offered a swap so i no have a kettle that is immaculate it is actually the same one i had but in white not silver. Mine lasted about 3 years so if this does same it wont be a bad swap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now