Talk

Advanced search

Playhouses - do your wee ones actually play in them?

(38 Posts)
tassisssss Mon 18-Aug-08 16:59:46

Wondering about getting dd a playhouse for the garden for her 2nd b'day. Can't see us spending over £60 (so no links to adorable expensive ones please!).

Just wondering, do kids actually play in these? The people I know who have them just use them to store bikes and trikes (we already have a shed dedicated to that purpose).

Thanks!

tassisssss Mon 18-Aug-08 19:17:14

bump

hermykne Mon 18-Aug-08 19:18:07

mine both did.

fairy15 Mon 18-Aug-08 21:08:47

ds1 loves his wooden 1 & so does his friend when she comes over they are 2. I put one of those little pretend cookers inn& they think it's great, even Ds2 9 months loves it in there!

Nemoandthefishes Mon 18-Aug-08 21:10:54

We have a wooden one we got last summer and the three DC play in it all the time. WE have it decked out with cheap off cuts of carpet and 3 comfy seats for all of them to sit on.We also have a ELC kitchen just outside the door of the playhouse because it doesnt fit in with the chairs but the food etc is kept inside Dc are 4,2 and 1

Wags Mon 18-Aug-08 21:13:29

Yes, my DC of 5 & 3 love theirs. Its a wooden one (was about £200), just got a small table and small chairs in it. They seem to like drawing in there and will spend ages with their friends creating masterpieces, which then get stuck on the playhouse walls! They also like the fact that they can go in and close the door, so think it feels like a special den for them.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 18-Aug-08 21:21:26

Yes, lots. Not sure you can get one for just £60 though.

Nemoandthefishes Mon 18-Aug-08 21:38:47

meant to say ours is a tiny one and it was £115 from local shed place

horsemadgal Mon 18-Aug-08 23:01:23

I got my son a plastic Little Tikes one from local paper for £20. Best £20 I have ever spent (actually it was money his great grandpa gave him, even better!!)

MegBusset Mon 18-Aug-08 23:04:18

We got one for £60, from Argos. DS loves it!

ja9 Mon 18-Aug-08 23:05:58

My 2 have love playing in one every chance they get - our keswick house had one and it was fab! If you find any bargains point me in that direction!

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 18-Aug-08 23:06:43

both boys play in ours DS1 has a restaurant in there he serves all sorts of hideous things to his little brother grin

snickersnack Mon 18-Aug-08 23:06:57

dd loves hers - she got it for her 2nd birthday. And ds (14 months) loves it when he's allowed in. And it's very popular with visiting small children.

cheesesarnie Mon 18-Aug-08 23:08:56

yes-all 3 do.i think dd and ds1 were 4 and 5 when we got it.now 8 and 7 and still love it as does 2 year old ds.

Waswondering Sat 23-Aug-08 21:27:05

My lovely friend with 3 girls has one in her garden - she got it 2nd hand, and it resembles a Swiss chalet with upstairs. It's wooden and very lovely - their toy kitchen lives there too. It wasn't ebay but a similar local website that had it.

I was out yesterday and all the dc were in it - including the wee ones. Ds described it in minute detail to dh on his return. It was fab!

Don't know if that helps at all.

chunkychips Sat 23-Aug-08 21:28:25

best thing we ever bought EVERYONE loves it when they come round as well.

MrsSnorty Sat 23-Aug-08 21:32:30

DS has one that was made out of an old shed so didn't cost anything. He loves it and so do his friends.

Thomcat Sat 23-Aug-08 21:33:30

Yes, loads, and loads.

ellceeell Sat 23-Aug-08 21:41:52

dd2 doesn't play in hers - but she loves climbing up the tree behind it so that she can get on the roof and jump off! grin

tassisssss Sat 23-Aug-08 22:33:33

hmmm, i could be convinced but not sure dh is persuaded...

think we'd both sooner buy a trampoline

don't you wish you could have a crystal ball and see which toys'd be winners?!

Waswondering Sat 23-Aug-08 23:23:00

Ah! Simple.

Playhouse for birthday.

Trampoline as joint Christmas present.

sorted!!

hairycaterpillar Sat 23-Aug-08 23:39:05

Hmmmm my sister also got one second hand and her 3 dc loved it at first...but apparently novelty wore off and now they use it to store bikes etc.

Personally I really like them. My kids adore playing in all the ones at Dobbies!

Liking Waswondering's idea grin

cadelaide Sun 24-Aug-08 00:00:28

Next-door have a splendid one, got it about 5 yr ago.
I have never, ever seen the children playing in it. They use it as a shed really.

eandh Sun 24-Aug-08 07:07:49

We got one earlier this year (well Great Grnadma bought it for the dd's) DD1 (nearly 4) plays out tehre id she has friends over but dd2 (20months) is always in tehre

We have
laminate floor,
table & chairs,
small play cooker and sink,
Dad put up some shelves so they have very cheap tea/coffee/sugar cannisters on there plus went to ikea and got the cheap bowls,plates, beakers
Pots and hanging basket outside
Play BBQ outside
Door plaque with their names and door number
Door bell (from poundland!)
Plastic vase with plastic flowers on table
2 tea sets (1 china one for dd1 from pound shop and plastic one for dd2)
One of those battery opertaed push lights

I am going to paint the inside of it pale pink soon and got some cheap disney princess framed pictures to go up

Chocolateteapot Sun 24-Aug-08 08:26:43

I spent ages painting an old shed , putting down some floor, had a little cooker , table and chairs and a shelf unit with various toys on it. Complete waste of time and now the bike store.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now