Talk

Advanced search

Cheap Strollers - any negatives?

(10 Posts)
Ewe Mon 18-Aug-08 14:53:00

I need an umbrella style buggy for DD when she starts nursery, she is a quite small 6month old. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the very cheapest one I can find? We have an xplory for weekends/long walks.

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 18-Aug-08 14:54:20

difficult to steer as baby gets heavier, tend to tip if you put shopping on them, if they don't recline they can be very uncomfortable.

I would buy a secondhand MacClaren

Heated Mon 18-Aug-08 14:56:01

watch to see where the wheels rest when it collapses - some cheap ones rest against the fabric & buggy looks grubby in no time

nicolamumof3 Mon 18-Aug-08 14:57:09

get a maclaren, so worth spending the extra. if money an issue get s/hand. Always maclaren for me!!

Ewe Mon 18-Aug-08 15:30:11

Maclaren it is! They're quite cheap on ebay & gumtree, just need to find one near me.

sazm Mon 18-Aug-08 23:31:41

i've had a couple of the bruin ones from toys r us, and i would def buy another,i thought they were great,one was only £40 with cosytoes and raincover.

milkybarsrus Tue 19-Aug-08 07:31:41

cheap ones are awful to push and collapse. cheap bits of plastic break off too! Maclaren second hand anytime is your best option IMO.

YumeeMumee Tue 19-Aug-08 07:47:03

Don't get the absolute cheapest you can find but there is no reason to get a moderately cheap one ie £40 rather than £30. Friend had a mothercare Jive and really didn't get on with it...really cheaply made imo. I got a Cosatto swift lite from ebay (last year model) for DS when he was about 7mths old to go away to Rome and it was £40 and we have used it since and it is still in good working order! It has 3 positions for sleeping and DH was quite comfy in it. We have taken it all over and really have abused it but it's still fine. Shop around and try a few out as once your DD gets older and heavier then some of the cheaper ones aren't as easy to push. I didn't get on with the Mac's despite the positive reviews so they're not for everyone. Most strollers have the probs of it tipping if you load too much onto it (stands to reason really, get some buggy weights) and most also have the prob of not being able to get to the basket if its reclined so don't let that put you off).
My advice is to go and try and few out first if you can. I don't think you need to spend a lot to get something suitable.

YumeeMumee Tue 19-Aug-08 07:49:03

Meant to add that I leave our stroller at nursery when I drop DS off and we leave it in a shed. The shed gets very crowded and people don't really worry about putting their strollers in properly or in a line or anything shock! So imo don't spend a lot cos it'll end up getting trashed anyway!

Seona1973 Tue 19-Aug-08 13:15:34

I wouldnt pay the price for a maclaren but have bought a couple of buggies from kiddicare which have been around the £40 mark including a raincover and have been great. I had a hauck sport one but ran over it with the car so it didnt last that long blush. I have an O Baby Atlas one at the moment and it looks very much like a maclaren i.e. same shape and mechanisms but costs a fraction of the price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now