Talk

Advanced search

talk to me about micralite buggies

(25 Posts)
fairy15 Fri 15-Aug-08 07:24:06

thinking about getting one, maybe fastfold or toro. does anyone have any experience with them?
thanx

Fanlight Fri 15-Aug-08 07:27:13

My friend got one for a holiday - said it was Ok but nothing special.

I got her to order from the Jane Outlet website where they were 100 euros...might still have some.

Hang on, looking for link...

Fanlight Fri 15-Aug-08 07:28:54

[[http://www.janeoutlet.es/productes/index.php?categoria=2 here is website]

Sorry no Micralites left sad

They had them for months!

Fanlight Fri 15-Aug-08 07:29:11

Sorry here

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Fri 15-Aug-08 07:34:03

I had a Fastfold, and have to say I loved it, but IMO if you are buying for a new born, go for the Toro. The fastfold doesn't recline fully, and although the carrycot is great, it's small, DS2 was out of it at 3/4 months, but not able to go into the buggy itself till 6 months, the Toro reclines properly so it would get round this IYKWIM?

If you are looking for an older child then go for it!

ja9 Fri 15-Aug-08 07:56:59

we have the original one (fastfold i think)

we have lovedit beyond belief. it is a fantastic buggy.

Do you have specific questions?

fairy15 Fri 15-Aug-08 08:15:28

thanx everyone. Really like the look of them. Would a large 2 year old fit in it?

fairy15 Fri 15-Aug-08 08:19:22

also how is it off road & does it fold up small enough for dh not to notice it! grin

MiggyPop Fri 15-Aug-08 08:25:07

I have the Toro and my 3 year old is still comfortable. But in saying that he's on the small side. However, I do think he'd be comfortable in it for longer. It's a great buggy. Love it. I've had a number of buggiesp; Quinny Zapp, Maclaren Techno, P&Ts, a M&P Ziko Alfie but the Toro still rates as one of the best. It's lovely.

lynniep Fri 15-Aug-08 08:35:10

I have fastfold although I dont' use it anymore. Toro wasnt available when I got mine - we used it with the car seat and for that purpose it was great - I would always recommend a buggy that can fit a car seat on top - makes life so much easier.

Pros - v. light, v easy to push around even with one finger! good to use with my maxicosi car seat, fits in boot fine although its not that compact, easy to fold up and down.

Cons - when my son was big enough to use it as is ie without a car seat, i found it wasnt really that great. Because the fastfold is a hammock type seat, he just sort of slumped in it and looked uncomfortable (some kids like this - mine wants to be upright and leaning forward - not possible in a fastfold)
Basket too small (although little bag quite useful)
Fold mechanism kept slipping making it hard to 'lock' into position. This was fixable, just annoying.
You CANNOT put bags on an empty micralite. Because its so, ahem, light. Although buggy weights might work. Mine was forever tipping over, because I'd put bags in it with the baby in, then forget about them and take baby out - CRASH!
Also, the sizing is wierd - because of the shape of the fastfold being triangular, its very narrow at the head and shoulders, the headhugger was way too high up for any normal length child to use. My DS looks too wide for it at 17 months. And the footmuff is a load of rubbish. Stiff and doesnt cover his body properly.
Its now in the garage in case we have another child and I want to use it with the car seat.

ja9 Fri 15-Aug-08 08:36:44

yes, fine size for a 2 yr old. on holiday my almost 4 yr old still popped into it. it's great off road and on the beach / snow etc because of the big back wheels. It folds just as small as a maclaren - except for the big wheels, but you can take them off easy enough if you have a small space.

ja9 Fri 15-Aug-08 08:40:51

agree with lynniep re: child not sitting forward and head hugger thing . although with head hugger, if you un velcro it at the top you can slide it down to a height you are happy with.

i bought buggy weights and used them occasionally - even a standard umbrella fold buggy tips with shopping bags hung on the back. i use the buggy weights all the time now but that it because i often have 4yo ds on kiddyboard at the back and you need the extra weight at the front to balance it out.

ja9 Fri 15-Aug-08 08:42:32

you should go to a big pram shop and try your lo in it. unlike lynniep i though tmy ones looked better in it the older they got - i don't think they got to wide for it at all.

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 15-Aug-08 08:45:23

Well we have the fastfold and DS is 3 (just about) and still fits very well. TBH, I find he fits better in it that he has in any other buggy, wrt his feet fitting on the footrest properly. He likes it as well.

I like the fact that it freestands when folded (and it folds small) and is very light and easy to push.

fairy15 Fri 15-Aug-08 09:04:12

would use it mainly for my 2 year old as my 9 month has the bugaboo. don't think the hammock seat would be a problem as my double mountain buggy has them & both seem happy in there. anyone selling one?
thanx for all the info smile

peachygirl Fri 15-Aug-08 09:15:31

I have a fastfold and think it's great. I wish I had bought it as my original buggy. If I were to buy again I would go for the Toro due to the better recline but saying that DD sleeps well in it and does not seem to be too slumpy. We are about to take it abroad on holiday so that will be the real test for it

On the recline debate my friend has a maclaren quest and there is not much between the two at the lowest recline levels.

I'm very tempted to get the Off road wheels , anyone elase got them?

(Also quick hijack) Hi Ja9, hope you are well!!

bettybeetroot Fri 15-Aug-08 15:18:31

I have a Toro and was very happy with it to begin with but my ds is 18 mnths now and as he is quite big I find he is getting too small for it. When I open the hood up to shade him his head touches the hood. It is good on rougher ground but imo not as good as a 3 wheeler which I have just purchased to replace the Toro.

bettybeetroot Fri 15-Aug-08 15:19:12

sorry, too BIG for it!

cheesesarnie Fri 15-Aug-08 15:31:02

i had fastfold and really liked it.my 2 year old was fine in it.

AccidentalMum Fri 15-Aug-08 20:43:58

FF:
The perfect older kid (18mth plus) buggy IMO. DD2 is 9mths and looks blooming uncomfy in it though, but is just woeking out how to tuck her feet in and sit up. The latest version has a great big, accessible basket (for a stroller) and it can be pushed with one hand so easily.

bettybeetroot Fri 15-Aug-08 22:14:58

the fastfold seat does look higher at the back than the toro so maybe you'd be better off looking at the fastfold if you have a larger dc. AccidentalMum - I find the basket quite shallow on the toro so it doesn't actually hold much (and if your child likes the upright position it is impossible to get things in and out) we have a maclaren which holds more and is easier to get in to.

AccidentalMum Fri 15-Aug-08 22:44:20

BB: Do you have the latest version? They are very different...has massive sapce for getting change bag in by LOs legs. Makes a massive difference compared to using a Volo.

bettybeetroot Fri 15-Aug-08 22:54:18

yes, i have a Toro which is the latest one - the basket really isn't that good - there is a strap across the middle of the basket which doesn't really allow you to put anything big in (such as a proper change bag) so for this reason I use a drawstring cotton bag that is small and easier to get in. it's big enough for us but it's no better than the basket on our maclaren xt. anyway, i won't be using it anymore as i'm selling it grin just bought a baby jogger!

bettybeetroot Fri 15-Aug-08 22:56:49

thinking about it, i can see why you might think there is loads of room as there is quite a bit of space when the buggy is lying completely flat (although the strap is still a problem) but in a seated position the space is gone.

ja9 Sat 16-Aug-08 23:25:35

((peachygirl, HI!. What's new with you?))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now