Talk

Advanced search

Can your boobs get too used to a breastpump so it stops working?

(3 Posts)
Neenztwinz Tue 12-Aug-08 12:48:13

I am having real problems with my medela mini electric. It used to be so powerful I had to wrench it off my boobs when I was finished. But then it was like the suction was failing and I thought it was cos my boobs were so engorged. Then when they weren't so engorged it still didn't suck very hard so I thought it was broken (I have dropped it a few times).

So I bought another pump second hand off ebay but I am having the exact same problem. When I turn it to max it doesn't seem to suck any harder. I figure it must be me, more likely than both pumps being broken. Could it be that my boobs are too used to the pump now? What else could I be doing wrong?

Sorry for mega long message!

Shelly679 Tue 12-Aug-08 12:55:58

I found this also when using the medela pump. I think I ended up breastfeeding on one boob then pumping on the other at the same time - something to do with the let down reflex and the body thinking that it had two babies to feed and so produced more milk. Also pump straight after feed as well this will increase your milk supply.
It becomes very hard to pump "cold turkey" as my HV put it as the baby sucking sends certain signals to the brain in order for the body to produce milk.

Neenztwinz Wed 13-Aug-08 12:43:18

Thanks - I think the problem was with the seal on the filter. It works better now but not as well as it used to I don't think. I got 4oz out first thing today in about 5 mins though so it is not working too bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now