Talk

Advanced search

Double buugy dilema!Please give me your advice.....

(47 Posts)
nobodysfool Tue 12-Aug-08 12:18:31

I have a 3 year old (13kg) and am expecting another baby in Jan.
I need to find a double buggy that can take them both as we do a lot of walikng and shopping.
I think i would prefer a tandem style so it's easier to get in and out of doorways but are there any side by side designs that fit through doorways?
I would like to have a travel system set up if possible so when the baby is asleep i can take them out of the car without disturbing them by putting them in the buggy.
I really don't know what make or design to go for,can you help?
Any help or advice would be great.

ajm200 Tue 12-Aug-08 13:12:05

we has the same dilemma recently. We decided against a tandem as several friends have them and the LO quickly gets bored in the back.

There are side by side versions that fit through most doorways. The babyjogger mini is one of the smallest on the market but I don't know how good it is.

We've opted for the mountain buggy twin (It should fit though most doors) as our buggies get a lot of use and we have worn out a very sturdy single buggy in 18 months.

If you have a car you also need to look at how easy the buggies are to fold down and how small they are folded. Some of the smaller ones require a lot of dismantling/assembly when they are opened and closed.

I liked the look of the icandy pear which is compatible with car seats. We also liked the first wheels double but it wasn't sturdy enough

ajm200 Tue 12-Aug-08 13:15:03

Another option would be to carry your newborn in a sling until he/she can sit up. There are more options for double buggies if you don't need them from newborn. Also by the time your newborn can sit up your eldest child may not need a buggy at all.

CarGirl Tue 12-Aug-08 13:17:09

My January your 3 year old will be 3.5, just get him a buggy board perhaps a sit on one?

silverfrog Tue 12-Aug-08 13:18:42

Phil and ted double would work. I have a P&T sport, and dd1, who is 4, very tall and 18kg still fits.

It does everyhting you need, except for the travel system bit, and definitely fits thorugh doorways etc.

i bought it because it is bigger than a lot of double buggies - dd1 is autistic, and we need to keep her strapped down around shops etc. I reckon we'll get another year or so out of it for her.

hth

sazm Tue 12-Aug-08 14:24:49

hi, i've just bought a phil and teds too for my new baby, my dd will be 2y9m when this one arrives.
when i picked it up from the shop i had my 4yo and 2yo in it and it was really easy to push,and they both had lots of room

nobodysfool Tue 12-Aug-08 17:48:03

Thanks for all your replies.

AJM-Will look into all of your suggestions,i really like the look of the mountain buggy but will lookn at the mini jogger as well.
I def need a double buggy as i have been booked in for a c-section so a sling will be too awkward.

Cargirl-i bought a buggy board but when i took it out i couldn't push the buggy properly without hunching over.Probably because i'm 5ft!

Silverfrog-I looked at a phil and teds and was put off as it said only up to 15kg.Will have a look at the sport version.

Sazm-Ooohhh-looks like phil and teds are winning.Ta.

nobodysfool Tue 12-Aug-08 17:48:57

Sazm-what one did you buy?Was it the sport?

CarGirl Tue 12-Aug-08 19:00:22

I'm only 5' the knack is attaching it as close to pushchair as you can with the lascal 3g maxi there is plenty of height underneath for your feet too. I really can't see you getting much use out of a double pushchair with such a large age gap.

Also buggy boards work better on some pushchairs than others - amazingly one of the most successful was the graco mirage I used it when dd4 was newborn as a travel system for pre-school pick ups and for walking to school rest of the time. Best of all the whole thing folded up with the buggyboard still attached.

AccidentalMum Tue 12-Aug-08 19:08:23

Re. C section, a baby in a soft supportive sling might be easier than manuoerving (sp!?) a mahoosive buggy with two kids in?

nicolamumof3 Tue 12-Aug-08 19:30:44

I wouldn't recommend getting a double anything you get is going to be very heavy to push with your three yr old and an ever growing newborn!! I had 18months between my two and even now at 2.5yrs my son is nearly out of his double so by 3.5yrs you should be fine.

tassisssss Tue 12-Aug-08 19:37:54

You might be surprised at how your 3 year old's walking improves between now and Jan. My ds was a HOPELESS walker and was in his stroller constantly until his wee sister was born when he was almost 3.5. Suddenly, because he had to, he was walking! We used a buggy board briefly, but I didn't love it. By the time he was 4 he was suddenly able to walk decent distances at decent speeds. I wouldn't buy a double for a 3 year old if I could avoid it.

Having said all that I have a double nipper for my 2 girls and it's fab. Narrow enough for most doorways, really light and good for bigger kids too. Definately worth a look.

nobodysfool Tue 12-Aug-08 19:49:23

We go for walks that i couldn't expect my ds to walk-sometimes 2 hours at a time so he really needs a seat when he has had enough.

Tasssissss-The nipper looks good-are the seats set quite far back as they look very reclined and not very upright for ds.

tassisssss Tue 12-Aug-08 19:52:04

well obeserved, NF, that is indeed about the only criticism anyone makes of the nipper, the seats are quite reclined. worth a try still i'd say.

CarGirl Tue 12-Aug-08 19:57:55

Do you usually go for those long walks on your own? We often just took 2 pushchairs with us so DH and I pushed one each.

tassisssss Tue 12-Aug-08 19:58:51

could your ds take a bike or a scooter?

nobodysfool Tue 12-Aug-08 20:01:32

Sometimes on my own sometimes together.
I keep thinking about shopping trips out as well as soon as ds has had enough walking he really wont walk any further.
AAARRRGGGGGHHHHH-why is this so hard!

CuckooClockWorkOrange Tue 12-Aug-08 20:02:24

Silverfrog, do you always comply with recommendation to put heavier child on top (with p&t)?

My elder child wanted to jump in and out, so ended up under neath (as NOT recommended) and younger one on top. So, dc1's feet went through the basket. Not her fault, just nowhere for her to put her feet. She wasn't really really tall, just not a tiny toddler anymore.

Looking back on it, I wish I'd got a 3 wheeler Jane pwer twin. But ah well. Sold the p&t for 3/4 s what I paid for it. So it kept its value well.

dizzydixies Tue 12-Aug-08 20:03:40

I've just bought an easywalker duo and I love it

only 75cm wide and has option of car seat or lie flat cot for baby next to seat for dd2

dizzydixies Tue 12-Aug-08 20:06:21

here

CarGirl Tue 12-Aug-08 20:06:27

But will you do lots of long shopping trips with a newborn/young baby and a 3.5 year old - won't he be going to pre-school which rather limits long excursions anywhere tbh?

I used to let my just 3 year old hitch a ride on the back of my p3 as it has toddler foot plates. By 3.5 I ditched the buggy board and she scooters and walks. My older one walked everywhere from the age of 3, no choice I wasn't getting a triple buggy grin

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 12-Aug-08 20:09:49

THe toddler seat on the P&T is the seat with the lower weight restriction- so you may struggle with it- having saiuid that I love mine and it's about the only one, except for the icandy that will convert to a single when you don't ned it anymore. my DS (3)likes to hitch a ride in the back seat sometimes and it's ok, even though he's a bit heavy for it, but I don't know I'd put him in that seat when it's in newborn position, ie on the little brackets above.

Buggy boards can be tricky when you've had a section- going up and down kerbs and it's a bit of a stretch.

Sorry that was all negative, wasn't it. Not much help, I'm sfriad. Maybe get a cheap side by side twin on ebay for long walks?

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 12-Aug-08 20:12:53

Cagirl- my DS is going to have to walk too, when DD2 comes along. My v2 P&T only has a cloth foot rest at the front.

mumlove Tue 12-Aug-08 20:19:23

How about 1 of these

nicolamumof3 Tue 12-Aug-08 20:23:52

I agree cargirl, we take two buggies if going out for the day. I HATE double buggies they are cumbersome i went through so many and I did quite like my maclaren for lightness and ease of getting about but now it is such a relief to push my single and have 2.5yr old walking. Its good for him to walk and learn to hold hands etc too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now