Talk

Advanced search

As a general rule, would you say it's better to get bottom of the range John Lewis stuff or mid-top of the range Argos stuff?

(38 Posts)
derelicte Sat 09-Aug-08 19:26:53

?

derelicte Sat 09-Aug-08 20:20:12

bump

tissy Sat 09-Aug-08 20:25:56

depends what it is

JL are mostly good quality, and deliver for free over £50 (IIRC)

LadyOfWaffle Sat 09-Aug-08 20:32:22

Erm, hard to say really. I have had great stuff and pants stuff from both places. DSs bedroom furniture is from Argos and is really good and strong, and I know the eq. from JL would be probably 4x the price. Depends what it is I guess - I wouldn't spend JL prices on childrens furniture for example.

ivykaty44 Sat 09-Aug-08 20:38:18

JL are not what they were, I would rate both the same on customer service and argos much cheaper (can't beleive JL I just wrote that about JL sad)

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 09-Aug-08 20:39:14

JL for me, but then I don't even have an Argos catalogue!

hughjarssss Sat 09-Aug-08 20:40:35

Agree with ladyofwaffle about argos furniture.

twinsetandpearls Sat 09-Aug-08 20:48:04

I always thought argos furniture was crap. I need to buy dd a new bed and dismissed argos straight away. Maybe i was wrong.

norkmaiden Sat 09-Aug-08 20:49:49

Argos probably okay for a lot of things. Ikea (or Habitat) is definitely my first port of call though, over JL or argos.

MrsBadger Sat 09-Aug-08 20:51:00

depends on the product

are we talking own brands or other makes?

DoubleBluff Sat 09-Aug-08 20:52:15

I hav had argos furniture in the past and it has been rubbish. Ikea is about the same price but much better quality.
Never bought anything form John Lewis so can't compare.

MNHQ2 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:00:47

We only bought Argos furniture once, as needed to furnish a spare room quickly and cheaply for guests. Furniture wasn't very robust, and it had little bugs in it, which we didn't discover until they had eaten away the carpet, and then they spread to other places in the house. Cost us a fortune to recarpet!

DanJARMouse Sat 09-Aug-08 21:03:06

i love argos lol

cant afford JL so isnt an option.

only had one item that was crap from argos, but then i get bored easily so change furniture every 2-3yrs or so.

twinsetandpearls Sat 09-Aug-08 21:04:20

Not sure where are nearest Ikea is. We are in Dorset

MNHQ2 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:05:30

TSAP. There is an IKEA opening in Southampton soon. Nit sure when though.

WilfSell Sat 09-Aug-08 21:10:31

There is no such thing as top of the range Argos, I'm afraid. No competition at all: JL.

ChukkyPig Sat 09-Aug-08 21:17:24

Was indoctinated into JL by my mum. It's like a religion for some people (i.e. me).

I still shop around but usually end up getting stuff there because, if it doesn't work or breaks or anything, they take it back, apologise profusely, mend it, replace it or whatever no questions asked. And I love their shops. And you usually get pretty good quality for a reasonable price. And... I could go on for hours but it would sound like I'm in a cult.

So, JL vote from me here, not sure it's very objective though!

ivykaty44 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:21:55

see chukkypig I was once the same as you - then JL gave me such bad service I was so shocked and they really were awful I havn't been back since..... that was nearly a year ago sad

They didn't deliver they didn't care and they refused to put it right. Then I found that I wasn't the only one - there were other customers that had found the same bad service and they were all shocked aswell and havn't bothered again either.

Dalrymps Sat 09-Aug-08 21:23:49

Depends but probably JL, got my cot and changing table there and they've been great! They were actually the cheapest ones I could find at the time too. Got some cheap storage units from Argos a while ago too, they're alright. Not much between the 2 IMO but JL do have the free delivery over £50 where as we once got a bed delivered fromArgos and the delivery driver was horrendous, was late and abusive to DH on the phone as he couldn't find out house!
That remonds me actually, the bed was a metal frame one and it was welded warped so we had to force it together when assembling it as we couldn't be arsed with the stress of returning it and arranging another crap delivery HTH.

ChukkyPig Sat 09-Aug-08 22:10:07

Ivykaty was it the website that you had problems with? My mum ordered a bed through the website which didn't come when promised and they had to sleep on the floor and it was all very awful but I told her to complain and they gave her £50 of vouchers or something.

Anyhoo, it was the internet service which was a let down they are/were not quite the same as the shops service-wise.

Mum has had it confirmed in her brain that internet shopping isn't quite right and has gone back to buying everything in-store which makes her very happy TBH!

ivykaty44 Sat 09-Aug-08 22:45:08

Yes I got a washing machine and ordered it online. It was just a nightmare. When i said at work about how bad the service was, not turning up etc, my work mates had also had problems. One had a bunch of flowers tossed over her garden gate and completly ruined the other had a delivery card left as they didn't ring on the door bell!

When I rang and asked what they were going to do I was told they would deliver it the next day. My dad came and sat at mine and waited for them the folloing day. No vouchers or any sorry it shouldn't have happened.

I can go any where shopping and get crap service so why bother with JL for crap service I shop elsewhere now and actually I have found other shops do have some really nice staff.

I used to buy a lot in JL (dont really like shopping and it was easy one shop and that it done) big white items etc, curtains, flooring fridge dishwasher christmas pressy - not any more.

Plus they have done me a favoure as other shops do sell they same sorts of things and so much better value.

derelicte Sun 10-Aug-08 08:09:41

chukkypig - you sound like my DH and the ILs. They have been brainwashed, I'm sure of it wink

Interesting posts on here though. Thanks!

FWIW I'm buying a duvet, but I always have this dilemma when buying household stuff.

georgimama Sun 10-Aug-08 08:16:24

They sell a lot of the same branded stuff though, don't they, and it probably is cheaper in Argos. Have never bought furniture from JL or Argos can't really help, although Argos sell Mamas and Papas cots and prams for about 15% less than M&P. I don't know how but they do.

If I want stuff for DSs bedroom I just go to Ikea.

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Sun 10-Aug-08 08:56:11

i prefer john lewis. in norwich at least the cust service is second to none. they will deliver for free....anything now.
They will price match within a certain area too

Roboshua Sun 10-Aug-08 09:17:30

Never had any experience of John Lewis re delivery or customer service but they could not be as bad as ARGOS. Bought a trundle bed for DS1. Waited 4 months for it to arrive after several cancelled delivery dates. When it did arrive it had some marks on the trundle. However after waiting so long we couldn't face getting it replaced. Also bought a wardrobe (obviously didn't learn my lesson but it was the only one I could find which matched exisiting furniture). Despite being delivered by two burly men they refused to bring to carry it up a flight of stairs for me despite the fact I was 8 months pregnant at the time. When I had almost finished putting it together the doors didn't fit. Agian couldn't face the though of dismantling so my Dad ended up redrilling the holes to fix the doors.

AVOID ARGOS AT ALL COSTS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now